Friday, September 11, 2020

(1412) MUSIC AND ME (June 15, 2017) ME AND PALAU PRESIDENT TALK ABOUT CHEATING IN CHESS AT THE PIANO


NUMEROUS PHOTOS WITH PALAU PRESIDENT TOMMY REMENGESAU, JR.
     I have featured current and former Palau President Tommy Remengesau, Jr. a lot of times in this site and this is the latest one. At the background is Mervin Lee Cuyugan, the F & B Manager of Palau Royal Resort, whose knowledge about international songs and singers is second to none. We are at the piano but our conversation in about cheating in chess.
                                        (Photo by Roberto Hernandez. Taken by Jovy Rodriguez)


  ME AND PALAU PRESIDENT TALK
       ABOUT CHEATING IN CHESS
                 AT THE PIANO

           During the Appreciation Dinner for Justice Alejandro C. Castro and Mrs. Carmen Moses Castro at the wooden area of Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort, I first met Andy Uherbelau, the brother of Victorio Uherbelau. I gave him the link for the article where I featured him --http://palau-chess.blogspot.com/…/1138-music-and-me-nov-26-… 

          Palau PresidentTommy Remengesau Jr. came and when he is making a speech, I stop playing piano and read Island Times newspaper where he is at the front page while he is swearing-in Justice Alejandro C. Castro. He goes to the rest room and before going back to his table, he stands near me at the piano. His first word is "You're the blitz chess champion?"

          My response is about the currently finished Surangel Blitz competition during the 3rd day of Arbiters' Seminar. I mistakenly said 3rd place, but I finished 4th in that tourney. I'm co-champion in the 2017 Palau Blitz Chess Championship.

          When our conversation was diverted into cheating in chess, I mentioned to him that during the 2016 World Chess Olympiad in Baku, Azerbaijan, cell phones and even ball pens are not allowed in the playing area. He is amazed about the sophisticated method now in cheating.

           I mentioned also to him about the Georgian GM who was caught cheating in the Dubai Open, using his cell phone hidden in the rest room. He was stripped of his GM title (now an International Master (IM) and suspended for 18 months. This is the link--http://palau-chess.blogspot.com/…/georgian-gm-expelled-from… 

           I also told him that Jamie Kenmure, the Australian International Arbiter/Organizer that held the Arbiters' Seminar here in Palau, is a member of FIDE Anti-Cheating Commission in Baku. Jamie wants the suspension to be 15 years and lifetime ban for 2nd offense.

          I was not able to ask somebody to take a photo of us at the piano, but when I'm playing "Looking Through the Eyes of Love", he stand again near me and I asked Jovy Rodriguez to take photos of us and here's the result.  Palau President Tommy Remengesau, Jr. and I are both 61 years old. I was born in Jan. 02, 1956 while he was born in Feb., 1956.


Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               December 29, 2002 --- August 28, 2017

              Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
              The Beginning of Chess in Palau
              By Roberto Hernandez
              Soon to be published as a book

             Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
             Tia Belau Newspaper
             March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
             http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
             April 25, 2013 -- August 28, 2017

            The History of Chess in Palau
            By Roberto Hernandez
            June 09, 2002 -- August 28, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment