Tuesday, September 15, 2020

(1560) MUSIC AND ME -324 (July 12, 2018) PIANO FOR SALE -- KOREAN OWNER


PIANO FOR SALE --
KOREAN OWNER



Almost a year now, while I am going back to Palau Royal Resort from teaching piano/chess to a student in Airai, Vanessa, a gay beautician, talked to me hurriedly while I am driving. He is saying that there is a piano being sold for $1,000.00 and that if I am interested, call him at the Beauty Salon. 



I called him and we set a date and time where he will come with me and check the piano at the owner's rented house about a kilo-meter away from the Beauty Salon.

When we go there, the house is locked and we can't see the piano from the window.

The place is familiar to me as we had a caroling in that place 2 years ago with Sis. Loriz, Sis. Arlene, Bro. Ruel Luis and Bro. Gilbert Navarro.

He don't know the phone number of the Korean owner of the piano so we just set a new date to check the piano. But he said the Korean owner is selling it for $1,000.00.

My plan is to get a bargain price for it and will put it at the Pentecostal Missionary Church of Christ (4th Watch) Palau Locale and I will look for a buyer to earn at least $200.00 if I can get it for $500.00 and sell it at $700.00.






It's December 2017--the month of sacrifice at PMCC and the start of caroling to the farthest provinces first starting on December 01.

In the middle of the month, we did a caroling to Vanessa's parlor. I intentionally leave last so that I can talk to him. He said the Korean owner has moved to Airai, about 5 kilo-meters from Koror. It seems that my plan will not happen.


But in May 09, 2018, I've got a phone call from a Filipino lady asking me to tune the Palau Filipino SDA Church piano. We set a date on the next day but when my piano student's lesson was cancelled on that same hour, I text her and said that I am available to tune it and I can come in 30 minutes to tune it. She said she will wait for me at the gym of Seventh Day Adventist Elementary school.

I brought my tuning hammer and other tools/assorted things that might be needed to tune a piano. We talked for a while before I tune the piano. She provided me with vacuum cleaner to clean the inside of the piano.

More than 2 hours of tuning when I noticed that the last string was snapped but it's not noticeable because it's sound is almost no sound if you will play it soft.

When our conversation was focused on the piano's former owner, she said the church bought it from a Korean for $800.00 (last bargain price). We realized that it's the same Korean owner of the piano that I was about to buy to make a couple of hundred dollars.








We agreed already earlier that I charge $75.00 if the piano hasn't been tuned for a least 5 years. She said that the other signatory to the check is not around and she will just give me the check at Palau Royal Resort when it is signed already.

In going out of the music room, I met at the gym Mommy Keiko, the grandmother of my 3 students Samantha Tsao (piano/guitar/ukulele), Jake Abellera (piano) and Cole Abellera (chess).

     She asks what I am doing there. I said I just tuned a piano at Palau Filipino SDA Church. I told her that that piano is being sold to me for $1,000.00 a few months ago but I have never check the piano when the Korean owner moved to Airai. And the church bought it for $800.00.

     Mommy Keiko is very surprised about the price. She asked me that if I find another piano for sale, buy it for her because she likes Samantha to have/play the real piano. She bought a Casio keyboard for Sam 2 years ago but the quality of its sound is not as good as Yamaha, so she bought a 61-key Yamaha keyboard for more than $500.00.



     The Filipino lady came before 7:00 pm of the same day and gave me the Bank of Guam check which I deposited to my account at that bank.





Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               December 29, 2002 -- August 27, 2018

               Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
               The Beginning of Chess in Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               Soon to be published as a book

               Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
               http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
               April 25, 2013 -- August 27, 2018

              The History of Chess in Palau
              By Roberto Hernandez
              June 09, 2002 -- August 27, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment