Wednesday, September 16, 2020

(1598) SIDE BY SIDE WITH DING LIREN AND DON DACRES OF BERMUDA AT BATUMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT


SIDE BY SIDE 
WITH DING LIREN AND
DON DACRES OF BERMUDA
AT BATUMI 
INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT





While waiting to board the Turkish Airline plane at Batumi International Airport on Oct. 07, 2018 with the 13 members of Palau Chess Team to WCO in Batumi, Georgia, I am eating biscuit and watermelon seeds when Ding Liren of the Olympiad champion China team, came in crutches with a Chinese lady. They saw a vacant seat beside me and Ding sat beside me. My teammates recognized him easily and ask for photo session. Eric Whipps and his wife Joy is not yet around while Angelica Magno, Joan Gemota, Bobot Tan, Angelil Sisior are not interested. Filipina Sheila Cancino, who became friends with the Palau team joined in the once in a lifetime chance to have a photo with Ding. Tito Cabunagan, the Open team captain, left on Oct. 1 for job requirement.




Later, Bobot Tan, 2nd from right, join in the photo session with Cyril Tomas Montel, Jr., right, who got a CM title even being at Board 1, Rustum Cabuso, left, Ding, and Baby Edna Mission, who is showing her uniform while Sheila Cancino of Bermuda is at the back.




Don Dacres, middle, of Bermuda, talk to Ding Liren, right, before having this photo session. I told Don that we played in the 10th round of 2016 Baku, Azerbaijan World Chess Olympiad and that I thought that he resigned his game with me. We had some arguments then. That I need to win the 10th and 11th round games to gain a CM title. What he offered was a draw offered which I misunderstood. Later after that game, I told him that I need a win for me to get a CM title. He said, "You should have told me earlier." He is willing to sacrifice his game for me to get a CM title, which I am not in favor of. I can get a CM or FM title at the right time. It's not yet time in 2016. I am the Team Captain of Palau Women's Team and we were able to have Palau's first Woman FIDE Master in Angelica Parrado.








I asked Don Dacres, middle, if he was able to get a FIDE title in the 2018 Olympiad. He said yes but when I check the new FIDE rating of Bermuda, he don't have a title yet but Cyril and Angie got theirs.















Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               December 29, 2002 -- November 02, 2018

               Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
               The Beginning of Chess in Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               Soon to be published as a book

               Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
               http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
               April 25, 2013 -- November 02, 2018

               The History of Chess in Palau 
               By Roberto Hernandez
               June 09, 2002 -- November 02, 2018





No comments:

Post a Comment