Tuesday, September 15, 2020

(1587) ROUND 8 OF 2018 WCO (Oct. 02, 2018) --124th Seed Palau Swept by 90th Seed Panama; Palau Open Team Drew with Central African Republic


PALAU SUPPORTS ARKADY DVOROVICH
     A few days before the election of President of FIDE on Oct. 3, 2018, Presidential Candidate Arkady Dvorovich invited the whole Palau Chess Team to a dinner at Hilton Hotel. From left to right--Cyril Tomas Montel, Jr., Chen Zhu, Angelica Parrado, Joy Flores Whipps, Eric Ksau Surangel Whipps, Arkady Dvorovich, Roberto Hernandez, Baby Edna Mission, Tito Cabunagan, Rustum Cabuso and Angelo Salvadora.


                    ROUND 8 OF 2018 
         WORLD CHESS OLYMPIAD 
                    (October 02, 2018) 
          124th Seed PALAU Swept By
     90th Seed PANAMA; PALAU Open
           Team Drew With CENTRAL
                AFRICAN REPUBLIC

After gaining her Woman Candidate Master title in the 7th round, I decided to rest WCM Angelica Parrado in the 8th round against the tough and 90th seed Panama to give her a shot for a WFM title if she would win 2 of her last 3 games which is a strategy taught to me by my best friend CM Joselito Marcos of Papua New Guinea.

At 2:15 pm, after getting off the bus, I noticed that I am not wearing the Accreditation ID that shows my name and the yellow card of Team Captain.

Angie and Angelo Salvadora are there at the entrance. Knowing that I can't go inside without the ID, Angie suggested to me to hire a taxi to get it while there is still time.

Most of the time, using a bus, it will take more than 30 minutes to go to Hotel Oasis so taxi would be faster. I contracted one vacant taxi driver and he showed me to his cellphone the price of going to Oasis Hotel and back at the Olympiad venue -- 50 Georgian Lari.

I agreed and there he goes! Driving as fast as he can. When we reach the Hotel, we go inside the narrow road to the room that I am occupying. I went up very fast for about 2 minutes and we go back and reach the venue at 3:05 pm. The games were already started and no time to pray with the members.

I sit down at the chair where our Board 1 player Joan Gemota is up against WFM Raisa Melissa Barria Baker (1962); Baby Edna Mission against another WFM in Yaleika Chung 1736);
Angelil  Sisior vs. Maria Angelica Carillo Marval (1712) and Angelica Magno vs. WCM Yaribeth Gonzalez (1727).

I noticed also that our Match Arbiter is a Japanese. I asked for her name--it's IA Yumiko Hiebert (Japan). She wrote it and I wrote my name in Katakana. I gave her my card, PRR brochure and a small stuff toy (bear).

The Team Captain of Panama's Women's Team is Arosemera Jorge Luis. I gave him my card, the brochure of Palau Royal Resort and a face towel with a teacher's note.

It takes only less than 2 hours before all of my players were defeated. Now I have time to give the Panama women players my card and PRR brochures. One of them ask me, "This is the hotel where you work as pianist?" I said yes and she said, "Awesome!"


In the Open Section of Palau, Cyril Tomas Montel, Jr. is aiming for at least a CM title when he won over Sabbas Ndoma Libert of Central African Republic. Bobot Tan followed suit with a conquest of Vianney Koulet Bebondi. All of CAR players have no rating. 

The Boards 3 and 4 of CAR rallied to even the match as Florent Koura Koumba nipped Angelo Salvadora and Cedric Vianney Ngackossi-Ngoulaka subdued the win-less Leif Toribiong for a 2-2 score and 1 match point for both teams.














Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               December 29, 2002 -- October 11, 2018

               Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
               The Beginning of Chess in Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               Soon to be published as a book

              Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
              http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
              April 25, 2013 -- October 11, 2018

              The History of Chess in Palau
              By Roberto Hernandez
              June 09, 2002 -- October 11, 2018

              www.fide.com
               

No comments:

Post a Comment