Tuesday, September 15, 2020

(1570) MUSIC AND ME (Aug. 09, 2018) OMGI--MY SWEETEST GIRL MUSIC STUDENT


COUSINS THEY ARE -- OMGI AND YARS
    These two piano students of mine are cousins and were featured in the 24th issue Tia Belau Newspaper (Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez) in March 26, 2018.



       OMGI-- MY SWEETEST GIRL
                MUSIC STUDENT

IN Feb. 02, 2018, while I am teaching Kai Hindenburg piano, a Palauan mother is waiting for me to finish the lesson to talk to me about the possibility of teaching her daughter piano, guitar or ukulele.

Vameline, the mother, and I agreed on Feb. 7 Wednesday afternoon lesson for her daughter Omgi from 1:30-2:30 pm.

After attending the morning devotion at Pentecostal Missionary Church of Christ (4th Watch) Palau Locale from 5-6:30 am, I went jogging at Palau Track and Field Oval and proceed to the house that Vameline instructed me and check the place.

A text reminder from Vameline while I am having lunch at Palau Royal Resort cafeteria confirmed my first tutorial to Omgi.

I brought a guitar, keyboard and ukulele to test which instrument will fit her most. There is a guitar there. When I test it, it's out of tune and even if I tune it, it still not good enough to encourage Omgi to learn guitar. That cheap guitar is good only as toy.

I told Omgi's grandmother that it is not advisable to teach Omgi with that out of tune guitar so I get the keyboard from the car and there it is! Omgi likes it.

We started with drill so that her soft and delicate fingers will be flexible. She is only 6 years old. She can't do 3 fingers chords so I am teaching her Jambalaya, Leaving on a Jet Plane and the Palauan song Dil Dil Lomais using the "single fingered" mode of the keyboard, like what all Palauan musicians are using. I have never seen Palauan keyboard players that use fingered mode. 

I remember playing for the inauguration of Melekeok State governor 24 years ago that one of the singer/entertainer of that event is Haley Erich. When he performs, he is standing. He holds the mike with his right hand and doing the single fingered chords with his left hand. Pressing one key, and he's ready to sing while chewing betel nut. After a song, he will spit in the "olbaul" or spitting can (empty Budweiser beer can).

Although the first lesson of Omgi is not impressive, her grandfather, former high government official of Palau Alex Merep, was able to sing/hum to the tune of Palauan song Dil Dil Lomais.

In the succeeding lessons, I've noticed some very sweet characteristic of Omgi... she will hug me after each lesson and will say, "See you next week, Robert".

There's one time that she hugged me 3 times and saying the same "See you next week, Robert".

SHE HUGGED ME MORE THAN MY ANY OTHER MUSIC STUDENTS COMBINED!

When I text Vameline these words, she said, "Awee...I'm so glad to hear that. Thank you. I will make sure to tell her she's doing good."

There were 2 times that Omgi forgot to hug me when they are leaving hurriedly for outdoor activity (swimming, etc) but she will make up in the next week and will hug me twice.

When the school year 2018 started, we changed the Wed. 1:30-2:30 slot to Monday, 3:00-4:00 because her school is finished at 2:30.

A day before going to 2018 World Chess Olympiad in Batumi, Georgia, I asked Vameline if it is still possible to teach Omgi 3-4 pm today Monday, Sept. 17, 2018? She text me, Yes.




Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               December 29, 2002 -- September 17, 2018

               Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
               The Beginning of Chess in Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               Soon to be published as a book

               Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
               http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
               April 25, 2013 -- September 17, 2018

              The History of Chess in Palau
              By Roberto Hernandez
              June 09, 2002 -- September 17, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment