Tuesday, September 15, 2020

(1552) MUSIC AND ME -322 (June 28, 2018) A GROUP OF JAPANESE ENJOYED MY MUSIC FOR 2 NIGHTS


A GROUP OF JAPANESE ENJOYED MY MUSIC FOR 2 NIGHTS

On June 04, 2018, there is a group of Japanese musicians that requested a lot of songs to me. One is a drummer, the other one is singer, no keyboard player but with bass guitar player, who gave me $10.00 tip. They enjoyed that night with singing and requesting songs including "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire; Songs of Billy Joel, Japanese song "Tsunami", etc.

The next night, they all sit at the very far end of Breeze Bar but I still played their requested songs but instrumental only. Unlike in their first night, I always sing their requested songs.

I am surprised that they are leaving so early. But they have Japanese friends near the swimming pool and they go back and sit at the table very close to me.

At first, they are just talking so I played songs that I wanted to play without expression.

Then comes the older Japanese guy with hat (the guy at the left of the first photo.)

He started singing with some unfamiliar song among Japanese like "Days of Wine and Roses".
He gave me $10.00 tips and that's the start of their singing. I gave them my songbooks (American and Japanese) for them to look and more Japanese joined their group including the middle aged Japanese lady who always dance when the song that they are singing has fast tempo. She danced when I sing/play the Hawaiian medley of Baby Blue, Pearly Shells, Blue Hawaii and Tiny Bubbles. 

She later gave me another $10.00 tip. She is the lady 2nd from left in the first photo






I took a selfie with the guy (with hat) and another guy that gave me another $10.00 tip (right). He cannot speak much English and requesting Japanese songs by just humming the melody.




I can't let go not to take photo of the dancing and generous lady (right), with the group of musicians except the other younger lady.


The next day, June 06, they are back at the same table. The generous and dancing lady came late and no tip from her this time. I saw the guy in the middle at Waves Restaurant when I playing instrumental music there, borrowing umbrella from the Palau Royal Resort staff because it's raining hard. When I come there, the rain stopped.







They enjoyed more singing but no dancing this time. The guy at right is drunk already since borrowing umbrella at Waves Restaurant.

The guy with hat sang another unfamiliar song to Japanese "All of Me".

Before I stopped playing at 11 pm, he asked the 'umbrella' guy if he gave me tip (chipu) already. He said "kinoo" (yesterday). The guy with hat specify "kyo" (today?). When he didn't answer, the guy with hat gave me $20.00 tip.





Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               December 29, 2002 -- August 05, 2018

               Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
               The Beginning of Chess in Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               Soon to be published as a book

               Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
               http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
               April 25, 2013 -- August 05, 2018

               The History of Chess in Palau
                By Roberto Hernandez
                June 09, 2002 -- August 05, 2018
               
                

No comments:

Post a Comment