Thursday, September 17, 2020

(1639) MUSIC AND ME (Oct. 04, 2018) COUNTING THE CHICKS BEFORE BEING HATCHED


                              COUNTING THE CHICKS
             BEFORE BEING HATCHED

SPEECH BY THEIR LEADER IN JAPANESE
     Fifteen minutes prior to their enjoyable night of singing, the group's leader of VIP Japanese guests of Palau Royal Resort made an speech. I asked Jovy Rodriguez to take a photo of me at the new keyboard which I requested in July 2016 and arrived from Taiwan in November 11, 2016.
                     (Photo by Roberto Hernandez -- Taken by Jovy Rodriguez) 


Many times when somebody tease me to give them a part of my would be tips, I will get nothing as what happened in this event where wealthy Japanese guests are enjoying my music and they ordered 10 bottles of expensive Dom Perignon champagne for $800.00/ bottle!

Former bartender and now Shift Leader at Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort Jovy Rodriguez tease me to give her some part of my would be tip from these guests.

She thought that because they are rich and enjoying the night, they will give me generous amount. BUT, what happened when you're already counting the chicks when the egg is not yet being hatched, you'll get nothing instead.
Like what happened here...

          ROBERT, YOU'RE A HERO 

 2 days earlier, I was informed that I might play at Breeze Bar earlier on Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 because of function for 28 Japanese guests, who will order 10 bottles of Dom Perignon champagne and it costs $800.00 per bottle.


                Yesterday, I played only a song at Waves Restaurant of PRR and they asked me already to play there. I set up the new keyboard in front of them, with 1 mike and I started with Sukiyaki Song, singing it. A guy took the mike and sang it by himself with the others singing along. 



                Jovy Rodriguez gave them my 2 Japanese song books. Mervin Lee Cuyugan also assisting. Jovy Rodriguez is joking already, asking a share if I get big tips. It is all Japanese songs live sing-along! 

                Kimito Itsumademo (sang twice), Oribia O Kikinagara, Sakeyo, Itoshino Elly, Kou Jou No Tsuki, Chako No Kaigan Monogatari, Kampai, Subaru, Ihoujin, Nada Sou Sou. 

                When I was about to play Kita Sakaba, here comes a guy with the same song request! Even the Chinese song Ye Lai Xiang was sung. I didn't know that it has Japanese version.

                 When they are almost ready to leave I sing Let it be. 3 guys sing with me sharing 1 mike. It is followed by Stand by Me, Imagine, Hana Wa Saku, and the last song, the theme from “Titanic” – My Heart Will Go On, sung by 3 of us.


                 While their leader is talking in the photo here, I ask Jovy Rodriguez for a photo with them. The 2nd one didn't go well as it is blurred. While taking my bag of song books, Mr. Muneyuki Joraku, PRR Sales Director, said to me, "Robert, you're a hero." Maybe he is referring to me as saving the night for the guests having good time with my music. I think they didn't enjoy the Palauan dancers that performed earlier. I have given about 5 of my cards to them.

It happened also during our Christmas party in Dec. 2017 and I will received a glass plaque, $100.00, a room accommodation for 2 with breakfast for being at Palau Royal Resort for 10 years (June 01, 2007).

At the entrance for registration, my gift that I have drawn is $50.00 cash. Later, when the management is giving away $100.00 cash for 5 lucky winners, I won one of them so I already had $250,00 cash!

Melvin Lee Cuyugan didn't know that I've got $50.00 from the registration and he started to tease me--"$200.00 plus another $70.00 for playing music later."

He is referring to what PRR is doing every Christmas party, that I will be playing a couple of songs and I will be paid for doing so. This time, I have requested Guylang to sing with me the Palauan song "Dil Dil Lomais" and if Melvin's words is right that I will be paid $70.00, I will give $20.00 to Guy.

It's raining heavily at that time and instead of singing more than a song, we sang only 1 song--Dil Dil Lomais. During the last part of the song, we shouted the Palauan words that the former President of Palau Johnson Toribiong has taught me more than 15 years ago --- "Algaron Dikid," which means "Thank God it's only us here".


When this photo was published in Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez, the management misunderstood the caption and thought that I am ruining the image of Palau Royal Resort with that short caption...

It resulted in me being paid by only $20.00 instead of $70.00 that Melvin is teasing me of receiving $70.00... another reason that "WE SHOULD NOT COUNT THE CHICKS YET UNTIL THE EGGS ARE HATCHED."



Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               December 29, 2002 -- March 20, 2019

               Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
               The Beginning of Chess in Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               Soon to be published as a book

               Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
               http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
               April 25, 2013 -- March 20, 2019

               The History of Chess in Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               June 09, 2002 -- March 20, 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment