Friday, September 11, 2020

(1410) MUSIC AND ME (June 08, 2017) MY EXPERIENCES WITH TAXI DRIVERS IN PHILIPPINES


FANTASTIC RESTAURANT WITH A VIEW OF TAGAYTAY
     The whole day trip to Tagaytay in July 22, 2017 is worth it as proven by a generous Japanese in this article. From left, Bernie Miranda, my brother in-law, me, Gil Cando, Welhem Belgar and my son in-law Mark Ghil Fabre Cando and the baby of Kristel Enriquez Kobe.
                                            (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)


   MY EXPERIENCES WITH TAXI
     DRIVERS IN PHILIPPINES

SINCE 2009, I always take a taxi in going to Oceania Zonal Chess Championship and World Chess Olympiads because it’s cheaper than hiring a private vehicle to drop or pick me up at the airport.
Seldom did I do that when I am with my wife for vacation on odd years (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015 and lately this 2017 22-day vacation, where we were picked up at the airport by a rented van for $30.00 or 1,500.00 pesos.
In going to 2010 World Chess Olympiad in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia, I took also a taxi, where the driver is an avid chess player but not playing seriously in tournaments. I gave him my card and he suggested to pick me up also on when I come back from Russia, which didn’t happened because he’s way far off the airport when I come.


Instead, I took a metered taxi where the driver is very much interested in singing than chess. I suggested to him about my first article in Tia Belau Newspaper “Learning The Lyrics of a Song The Fastest Way”, where I set an example of learning the lyrics of Tom Jones’ “Green, Green Grass of Home.” I said to him to read the lyrics first as if he’s reading a story. When I speak to him the lyrics in English, I also translate it to Tagalog so that he will fully understand it as if I’m telling him a story.
He appreciated it very much that the idea is really practical and effective. He said he’s singing that song in karaoke but doesn’t mind about the meaning of the song.
My driver in going to the 2012 WCO in Istanbul, Turkey is very much involved in chess locally and we are already at the airport and our conversation is still intense about chess. I gave him my card and suggested that we communicate more about chess through Facebook or email.
In going to 2014 WCO in Tromso, Norway, my taxi driver is quiet and not interested in chess and I fell asleep in the taxi and he just wake me up when we arrived.
In going back to Palau after participating in the 2016 WCO in Baku, Azerbaijan, my taxi driver had some experiences also with generous Japanese. Our trip is from Tandang Sora, Quezon City to the NAIA airport terminal 1. He knows the way in going there without using the Efipanio Delos Santos Avenue (popularly known as EDSA or Hi-way) because of heavy traffic.
During our 2-hour trip, he mentioned that he likes watching bands perform live and that he can play some musical instruments. I mentioned to him about my experience in this link: http://palau-chess.blogspot.com/2012/01/music-experience-of-roberto-hernandez.html
                He said he had also some experience with generous Japanese whom he dropped at a hotel in Tagaytay City, where we spent a whole day (20 of us) in the 2nd day of our vacation with my wife from July 21-Aug. 11, 2017. He said that Japanese asked him many times to stop when there is a fantastic view and he will take a photo of those views. The Japanese said, “Don’t worry, I’ll give you tip.”





                When they reach the hotel, the generous Japanese gave him 3 “lapad”—a Filipino term for 10,000 yen which is equivalent to almost 5,000.00 pesos! So, it’s already less than 15,000.00 pesos. “Lapad” means rectangle, the shape of 10,000 yen. He’s already on his way out of the hotel when the parking attendant called him. He said the Japanese guest is looking for him and added another 2 lapad!
                One of his more interesting story as taxi driver was when he was stopped by an old lady, who said “Can you dropped me to this building in Makati? But I don’t have money.” Makati is the financial capital of the Philippines. He experienced already numerous passengers that said they don’t have money and many times, he dropped them especially if the distance is not far.
                After dropping the old lady at a tall building, she was recognized by the front door man and called the daughter and son-in-law of the old lady. The daughter talked to her and she doesn’t like to get off the taxi. She is supposed to be picked up by her or her husband but they forgot.
                The daughter talked to him saying, “Look, I know my mom. She will not get off the taxi because of what happened. Could you please drop her off to our house in the province. I will give you 30,000.00 pesos. I know you don’t have passenger in coming back.”
                It’s a very long trip to the province and he learned that the old lady is from Romualdez family, a well-known family of former Philippine first lady Imelda Romualdez Marcos. The house stewards assisted her and he was given lots of goodies, fruits, canned goods, sacks of rice, etc. that the trunk of his car is loaded with groceries.
                In going back to Manila, he decided to rest and checked-in at a hotel to get some rests. He was offered by a pimp to choose any of the 3 girls (high school students) for 500.00 each ($10.00). What he said to the pimp surprises me, “Why choose any of them? I’ll take them all!”
                He said he’s already old and didn’t touch the 3rd girl. When we reached the airport, our conversation is still ongoing. We had learned something from each other—about life, music and chess.
                In going back to Palau on Aug. 11, 2017, my daughter Karen hired a car to drop us at the airport. It’s the Uber transportation system that uses private cars to drop passengers through online negotiations. It’s very effective and safe way to get to your destination – far or closer. The price varies from time to time. At the airport, it is 509.00 pesos and I gave him 600.00. We talked a lot also, including the stories of the taxi driver (Romualdez old lady) with my wife mostly sleeping.



Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               December 29, 2002 -- August 21, 2017

               Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
               The Beginning of Chess in Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               Soon to be published as a book

              Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
              http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
              April 25, 2013 -- August 21, 2017

              The History of Chess in Palau 
              By Roberto Hernandez
              June 09, 2002 -- August 21, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment