Tuesday, January 10, 2017

(1331) MUSIC AND ME (Nov. 17, 2016) IMAGE RESTAURANT'S SIGN MADE BY ME

WHILE PRACTICING HOW TO DRIVE
    On our way to Image Restaurant's staff house after picking up school kids including my daughter Karen, I practice driving in doing so. While on our way to climb up the gate of Image Restaurant, the sign shown was made by me using just paint and plywood. I stopped in the middle of the climbing part of the gate to test my skill in driving a manual Mitsubishi Lancer car as it is one test that will be done to all driving license applicants in Palau.
                             (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)

      IMAGE RESTAURANT SIGN
               MADE BY ME

When I passed the written driving exam in 1997, I've waited long to have the driving exam and continued practicing while fetching kids from school -- Karen, my daughter, Marifa, and 2 boys of Filipino couple Willie and Alice Medalla.

I've got 92% passing grade with this written exam:

   

       When I bought that Mitsubishi Lancer car for $500.00, the owner and me are at the Bureu of Public Safety. While waiting I was able to ask the desk officer if I can have a Learner's Permit because I passed already the written exam. He said yes, and I paid $10.00 for it. It's good for 3 months for me to get a driving test if I am ready. 
       The officer added that I must drive with somebody who has a license beside me all the time. It happens only once or twice that I have somebody who has a license beside me while picking up the kids from school. It became my practice for getting used to drive and be ready for the driving exam.

       It happens one day that I have already picked up the kids 12:30pm and I stopped by at a store near the Post Office and walk my way to the police station to set an appointment for my driving test. I was surprised that the officer will have my driving test right away! He asked where is my car. I said a friend dropped me near Post Office and I'll get the car.
       I talked to the kids that I will be having a driving test and to wait for me for at least 30 minutes. They haven't have lunch yet so I must be in a hurry for the test. 
       The police officer that tested me for driving test has a folder in his hand and when I made a mistake, he will write something on it, like when I'm backing up. I used to look also at the back and the side and rear mirror. I should have not look at the back and only use the mirrors.
       We went to Topside and before reaching Dragon Tei Japanese Restaurant, we turned back. He asked me to park at the parking area near the Seventh Day Adventist Clinic and he went inside the house leaving his folder. 
       When he's already 5 minutes inside, I turned off the engine of the car to save gas. He spent another 5 more minutes inside. I have a feeling that he wants to test my honesty of not looking at the folder. There is a tinted glass window that can see me if I take a look at that.
       When he finally get inside the car again, we resumed the trip in a way up to Belechel Store. There's an unusual sound from the car in going up. He asked what is that and I just said I don't know.
       We had another 5 minutes driving and when we reach the station again, he said I passed and I had photo taken and got my first license worth $10.00 for 2 years. 
       I remember some years back that the driving license in Palau is only $1.50 for one year.  
       I immediately bring the kids to Image Restaurant. They are starving. It's past 1pm.


THERE'S ANOTHER LONG STORY OF HOW I HELP FRIENDS, CO-EMPLOYEES, DAUGHTER AND WIFE TO GET THEIR LICENSE BY PASSING THE WRITTEN EXAM FIRST AND DRIVING TEST.


Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
                 Tia Belau Newspaper
                 December 29, 2002 -- January 10, 2017

                 Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
                 Tia Belau Newspaper
                 March 15, 2012 -- April 17, 2013
                 http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
                 April 25, 2013-- January 10, 2017

                 Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
                 The Beginning of Chess in Palau
                 By Roberto Hernandez
                 Soon to be published as a book

                 The History of Chess in Palau 
                 By Roberto Hernandez
                 June 09, 2002 -- January 10, 2017
          
  
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment