Tuesday, January 10, 2017

(1324) MUSIC AND ME (Oct. 27, 2016) REUNION WITH CHIEF JUSTICE ARTHUR NGIRAKLSONG

APPELLATE JUDGES SWEARING IN - Oct. 28, 2016
     Palau Chief Justice Arthur Ngiraklsong requested me to play some music during the swearing-in ceremony of 2 appellate judges, on Friday, Oct. 28, 2016 at Palau Supreme Court. I asked a Palauan guy to have picture with me and CJ but he didn't press the camera button well and no picture was taken. This shot without CJ was taken by Kambes Kesolei, the Editor of Tia Belau.


  REUNION WITH CHIEF JUSTICE
        ARTHUR NGIRAKLSONG

I'VE GOT a phone call from Palau Supreme Court staff on Oct. 26, 2016, asking me to play music while the swearing-in of 2 appellate judges is taking place.

It is to be held on Fri. Oct. 28, 2016 and will start at 10:30am. She also asked how much I will charge per hour. I said if I will use my own equipment, it is $25.00/hour. 

They have to provide me with mike, mike stand and amplifier to plug the keyboard.

They asked me to come at 2pm on that day to check the place and to decide where to put the keyboard.

I brought the keyboard and go there to check the place and we decided that I will come an hour earlier (9:30) for equipment set-up. I gave them my card to reach me more easier in case there are changes in the schedule.

I proceed to Star Electronics for Roger (the Technician) to check if he can fix the defective keyboard that I am using now because the new keyboard that I ordered in July hasn't come yet.

Six keys are not working and one of the speaker was unplugged by me because it produces an irritable hissing sound.

Roger checked it and found out that he fixed also the 2 defective keys 3 years ago. It will take long time to fix those keys and because I will still use it for tonight, we don't have enough time.

I have no choice but to use the defective keyboard. I come there an hour earlier and set-up the keyboard. A policeman park my car beside the building because I'm very busy with setting-up the equipment.

The 2 speakers are very much afar from each other and I can't hear my music. They provide me with a mike without a stand. I requested one and I've a very early request from a lady -- an Italian song Santa Maria.

I put out my song book with international songs and sung it to her surprise.

I continue playing instrumental while Palau President Tommy Remengesau is doing the swearing in. I saw also former President (2008-2012) Johnson Toribiong and proudly showed to other attorneys our pictures on the cover of 2 of my song books (all handwritten).

I played instrumental Palauan songs like "Betik Ra Renguk Lekebiil", Kau El Ngalk", "Mokedemokebii" and sung the "Dil Dil Lomais
and chorus of "Ngesuas".

When the guests are having their finger food lunch, I placed the other speaker fronting me because I can't hear the sound and the other one to my left, I carried it and placed it to about 2 meters from my place so that I can hear my music more clearly.

When CJ is closer to me, I played all his favorite songs with some of them I am singing. The quality of the sound system is not good but still CJ enjoyed it. He mentioned that there will be another swearing-in in Jan. 06, 2017 and he will hire me again.

I asked if the 2 appellate judges are all from Palau. He said one is American and has been a judge here for a while and the other one is Palauan. 

I asked the in-charge of sound system to take a photo of me and CJ but no photo was taken when I check it in my room at Palau Royal Resort. It's good the Tia Belau Editor Kambes Kesolei took a picture of me (solo). I know he's taken some shots with me and CJ but my solo photo is the only one he posted at Facebook.

I have some discussion with CJ about Margarita "Margie" Borja Dalton, my employer of 13 years. During my post here about "Chess Jokes (Part 4) For Adults Only", where Margie asked him, "Can You Marry Me?" and he said, "Yes, I thought you wouldn't ask!" Margie immediately said, "I mean, I will be getting married at Rock Island, could you marry us?"



        QUICK, SMART AND HILARIOUS REPLY 

It happened in late 1990's. At about past 12:00 midnight, all guests have left the Image Restaurant (which is open for dinner from 6-9 pm. Roberto Hernandez operates the karaoke from 9-11 after playing piano from 7-9pm.

Karaoke stopped and Roberto just practice with Ivan II Chess Computer while his boss Margarita 'Margie' Borja Dalton, Encely Ngiraiwet, Joyce Isechal and Frida Loftis are just talking and finishing their drinks.

Suddenly, the phone rings. AT 12:00 MIDNIGHT?

It's an unusual time to get a phone call for a restaurant. All restaurants in Palau closed at 11:00pm at the latest.

Being the owner and manager of Image Restaurant, Margie answered the call... "Image Restaurant, Good Evening."

There's a middle-aged Palauan guy who asked Margie an unexpected question -- "Can I eat your pussy?" 

Margie, being a smart, quick to response to any question, replied with, "SORRY, IT'S NOT IN THE MENU!"


Roberto just learned about that response when the 4 Palauan ladies started to laugh very loud. Maybe the Palauan guy didn't expect that response and was in shock. 







When I told this joke to Palau Chief Justice Arthur Ngiraklsong before Christmas of 2013, he enjoyed it especially the quick response from Margie. He knew her since childhood. He adores her beauty until now that she's past 65 years old. 

He told Roberto on that night that he heard this joke, that Margie asked her once --"CAN YOU MARRY ME?" 

And he replied -"YES! I THOUGHT YOU WOULD NEVER ASK!"

Margie replied back --"No, I mean I'm getting married and I want you to marry us at the Rock Island wedding." 

Margie married (for the 3rd time) Japanese businessman Masa Shibuta at the Rock Island in the late '80's or early '90's. Mr. Shibuta comes to Palau every 3 months since their wedding.

Chief Justice also enjoyed the joke "WHICH ROOM?"
   Four persons died at the same time in 4 different places. One is a priest, the other is an American soldier in Iraq, the 3rd one is a chess Grandmaster and the 4th one is a prostitute.

                At the pearly gate of heaven, St. Peter asked them one by one of “What are the good things that you have done while you’re living on earth?”

                The priest said, “I am a priest and I think I don’t need to explain anything.”

                St. Peter sees the purity in the priest’s heart and said to him – “You go to the WHITE ROOM.”

                Next is the American soldier who died from a bomb explosion in Iraq. He said, “I’m a soldier. I died serving my country.”

                St. Peter sees the bravery in his heart and said to him –“You go to the RED ROOM.”

                The 3rd one is the chess Grandmaster. He was asked again of “what are the good things that you did while you’re still living on earth?” He said, “I’m a chess Grandmaster. I don’t smoke, I don’t drink alcohol. I dedicate my whole life to chess.”

                St. Peter sees the dedication of the Grandmaster and ask him – “You go to the CHECKERED ROOM.”

                And lastly, St. Peter asked the prostitute –“What are the good things that you did on earth while you’re still living?” She said, “I make a lot of men happy!”

                St. Peter asks her, “Okay, you go to MY ROOM”.

THE CHIEF JUSTICE THOUGHT THAT THE GRAND MASTER WOULD HAVE THE BEST ROOM BECAUSE HE DOESN'T SMOKE, DRINK AND LEAD A STRAIGHT LIFE!

MR. NGIRAKLSONG ENJOYED THAT NIGHT OF JOKES THAT HE GAVE ROBERTO $5.00 TIP, AND 2 GLASSES OF RED WINE.

HE ALSO LIKES THE STORY OF ROBERTO WHEN MARGIE HAS OFFERED HIM A DRINK AND ROBERTO GOT A SHOT OF COGNAC. ROBERTO TOLD MARGIE A FEW DAYS LATER THAT COGNAC MADE ROBERTO TO HAVE SEX APPETITE!

When Roberto was given by Chief Justice the 2nd glass of red wine,  CJ jokingly asked, "Are you sure you don't want a cognac?"

Chief Justice Ngiraklsong became a chess addict when he was studying Law in the USA. When his grades deteriorated because he's not focus on studies, he was advised to totally stopped playing chess. Which he did but he regrets it today (the total stopping). He said he should stop but should have give a little time to enjoy it even once in a while.

He also likes Greek music. Roberto mentioned to him 2 years ago that he played music at Khayam Taverna (Greek Restaurant) in Bahrain for 2 years and 3 months (Jan. 1987- April 1989). CJ had seen the movie "Zorba, the Greek" and explained to Roberto how he loved the song and the story of the movie.

On Dec. 15, 2014, Roberto met CJ at Waves Restaurant when he is about to go to the rest room after playing piano. CJ said that the annex building of the Supreme Court is about to be finished in April 2015. He invited Roberto to perform again there.

In one of their conversation 2 years ago, Roberto mentioned to CJ that he played in his inauguration as Palau Chief Justice at Judicial Building on Dec. 02, 1992. He was surprised at said, "Oh! That was a long time ago!"








There's another twist in this story that I didn't know yet. CJ mentioned that when Margie said that words, her son Tim, is beside her and said to her, "You just proposed to the judge!"


I was able to ask Chief Justice Arthur Ngiraklsong for a photo during the farewell party of Taiwan Embassy Minister Joseph Ma. His invitation for me to play in the inauguration of 2 new buildings at the Supreme Court didn't push through as the construction was delayed by more than 2 months.                    (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)






CJ asked me to get some food and drink but his assistant and a lady do it for me. They bring me a plate each of food that were served and 2 sodas. I didn't eat it and instead wrapped it to give to my wife Flor and I will eat at PRR's cafeteria as there is still time to make it before 1:30pm (closing time of canteen).

I'm finished playing at 12:30 and they asked me that my check of $75.00 (3 hours) will be given on Monday morning.

I proceeded to my wife and gave her all the food and 2 sodas and I returned to PRR and have lunch. An hour later, they called me again and said I can pick the check up before they close at 4pm so I go back there and get my check.

Bank of Hawaii is still open till 5pm on Fridays so I started to fall in line (long line) of depositors. I remember that I can deposit check at the ATM without falling in line. I asked for assistance of a lady there and she helps me deposit the check and I save a lot of time and was able to buy the sale drill set at Mason's Hardware for $21.97; Airtime for my cellphone --$8.60; oranges, apples and bananas --$3.41.     

 

 





Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
             Tia Belau Newspaper
             December 29, 2002 -- December 31, 2016

             Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
             Tia Belau Newspaper
             March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
             http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
             April 25, 2013 -- December 31, 2016

             Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
             The Beginning of Chess in Palau
             By Roberto Hernandez
             Soon to be published as a book
     

  

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment