Monday, January 9, 2017

(1311) MUSIC AND ME (Sept. 15, 2016) LUCKY TO HAVE SHANE ABELLERA --My Best Guitar Student!

WE BOTH LIKE CLASSIC AND OLD SONGS
     I've never had a guitar student as talented and well-educated, with music of the 60's, 70's and 80's as Shane Abellera. I learned more from him than all my guitar students combined! I'm very lucky to have a student like him.
                              (Photo by Shane Abellera)



LUCKY TO HAVE SHANE ABELLERA-
          My Best Guitar Student!

When I teach guitar to Brandon Kyle Lagmay Soriano, I was recommended by the mother of one of my girl keyboard  students. I charge him the same as that girl -- $8.00/hour if it is twice a week.

Kyle's parents, Bruce and Violet Soriano, then recommended me to teach Shane Abellera and his cousin Samantha Tsao.

When I talk to her mom, Noel, about the day and time of their music lessons, she said, "You're a very busy man." It's because I told her my hectic schedule from Monday-Saturday with Japanese, Filipinos, Palauans, Taiwanese - including the Minister of Taiwan Embassy Joseph Ma.

We agreed on teaching Shane and Sam at Shane's house on Friday-- 2:30-3:30 for Sam and 3:30-4:30 to Shane and then I will proceed to teach Kyle guitar at 5-6pm.

On the next day, Saturday morning, one hour each again for Sam - 8-9am and Shane 9-10am.

I tried teaching Sam guitar on Fridays and keyboard on Sat. and it works well. Sam has learned guitar earlier so she's much better than Kyle.

When I teach Shane keyboard, the result is discouraging. He's really not for keyboard or piano. I also discovered that Shane is a Beatles fanatic. He's got a thick book with all Beatles songs and the years of those songs. I have many hand-write songs of the Beatles -- about 67, and many of those, I don't know the years that those are written.



  





One of the most interesting story I've learned from Shane is this epic story of Simon & Garfunkel's "The Sounds of Silence". 

  
 





HERE ARE SOME OF SHANE'S REPERTOIRE:

1. American Pie (Don McClean)
2. Across The Universe (Beatles)
3. A Day In The Life (Beatles)
4. Act Naturally (Beatles)
5. A Little Help from my Friends (Beatles)
6. Jambalaya (Carpenters, Hank Williams)
7. The Lady Wants To Know (Michael Franks)
8. Uptown Girl (Billy Joel)
9. Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da (Beatles)
10. Two of Us (Beatles)
11. Rocky Racoon (Beatles)
12. Golden Slumbers (Beatles)
13. Rock N Roll Music (Beatles)
14. A Little Help From my Friends (Beatles)
15. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Beatles)
16. Hotel California (Eagles)
17. I'm A Believer (The Monkeys)
18. Lost in Love (Air Supply)
19. Free Fallin'
20. Mud on the Tire (Bradley Pease)
21. Surfin' USA (Beach Boys)
22. California Girls (Beach Boys)
23. Don't Be Cruel (Elvis Presley)
24. Take Me Home, Country Roads (John Denver)
25. Oh Carol (Neil Sedaka)
26. Live and Let Die (Paul McCartney and Wings)
27. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Queen)
28. We Are The Champions (Queen)
29. I Can't Get No Satisfaction (Rolling Stones)
30. Black Magic Woman (Santana)
31. Top of The World (Carpenters)
32. Everyday (Buddy Holly and the Crickets)
33. In My Life (Beatles)
34. Crocodile Rock (Elton John)
35. Hound Dog (Elvis Presley)
36. Daydream Believer (The Monkeys)
37. Always on my Mind (Willie Nelson)
38. It's Nice to be With You (The Monkeys) 
39. I Wanna Be Free (The Monkeys)
40.Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond)
41. Love on the Rocks (Neil Diamond)
42. Day Tripper (Beatles)
43. Help (Beatles)
44. Annie's Song (John Denver)
45. Sunshine on my Shoulder (John Denver)
46. Ben (Michael Jackson)
47. The Gambler (Kenny Rogers)
48. Coward of the County (Kenny Rogers)
49. Woman (John Lennon)
50. Jailhouse Rock (Elvis Presley)
51. Proud Mary (Creedence Clearwater Revivial)
52. Homeward Bound (Simon and Garfunkel)
53. Wonderful Christmastime
54. Pipes of Peace (Paul McCartney)
55. Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash)
56. Let It Be (Beatles)
57. Yesterday (Beatles)
58. Oh My Love (John Lennon)
59. Nowhere Man (Beatles)
60. Stray Heart (Green Day)
61. Good Riddance (Time of your Life) (Green Day)
62. Dahil sa Iyo (Filipino song)
63. Happy Christmas (War is Over) John Lennon
64. Last Christmas (Wham!)
65. Ghost Riders in the Sky (Johnny Cash)       




Sources: Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
               The Beginning of Chess in Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               Soon to be published as a book

               Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               March 15, 2012 --April 18, 2013
               http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
               April 25, 2013 -- December 11, 2016 

No comments:

Post a Comment