Monday, January 9, 2017

(1309) MUSIC AND ME (Sept. 08, 2016) "Maureen"--First Palauan Karaoke Song

WITH SENATOR ALFONSO DIAZ AT PRR
     The recording of 20 Palauan songs with Senator Alfonso Diaz became a reality prior to my trip to 2014 World Chess Olympiad in Tromso, Norway with the song "Maureen" being one of those.
                            (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)


                            "MAUREEN"
        FIRST PALAUAN KARAOKE SONG  

 
ABOUT 8 years ago, while paying an item I bought at WCTC (2nd floor) counter, I noticed beside the cashier, a video of a Palauan song playing a karaoke version of the song “Maureen”, which I can play and sing because it’s one of the first Palauan songs that we know when me and guitarist/vocalist Wilson Prima were singing during our daily performance at Image Restaurant since July 21, 1992.

                The key of the song is for lady but I still sang it while waiting for my change and receipt. The cashier was surprised and said, “There you have it! It’s the first time that somebody sings this first karaoke version of this song and look, it’s not a Palauan!”


                Since early 2000, I have tried to make a karaoke version of Palauan songs starting with “TNT”, the Palauan version of Hawaiian song “Baby Blue”. The problem is the graphics, in which I’ve planned to write the lyrics into mirror and will shoot the background of Rock Islands for a unique Palauan karaoke touch. There’s no problem with the music as I can copy the analog part of Image Restaurant’s karaoke songs through VCR and my Sony digital camcorder. 


                It didn’t push through as the market in Palau is too small with a population of more or less 20,000 people and less than 5,000 are Filipinos. When playing the “Baby Blue” in karaoke at Image Restaurant, where I’m also the disc jockey, I sing the Palauan version if there are Palauan guests.
                “Maureen” is one of the 20 songs that I recorded (some are live) in former Senator Alfonso Diaz’ recording studio prior to my participation in the 2014 World Chess Olympiad in Tromso, Norway held from August 01-14, 2014.
                When he is listing the title, we’re not sure about the spelling of Maureen. It can be Maurene or Maureen. He said he will make sure about the right spelling of that name.
                I was paid $10.00/ song and when Sen. Diaz issued me a check of $200.00, he said, “If that check bounces, I will make that amount triple!” He’s really sure that he has fund for it.
                Our agreement is that he will not mass-produce CDs of those songs because of small market and very easy to pirate songs nowadays. He will make those songs as background music to his radio talk shows and during the House of Representatives and Senate hearings/functions.
                It was the original idea in 2005 while I’m playing keyboard music at Rose Garden Resort. Senator Diaz offered me to record 10 Palauan songs that he will mass-produce and will pay me $500.00. He will also make it as background music during the House and Senate meetings. They don’t like to hear those Palauan songs with lyrics, esp. the new songs that have non-sense meaning.
                We have agreed to record those songs in his recording studio using my keyboard (Yamaha PSR400) but Minister of Health Victor Yano suggested to use the grand piano at Airai View Hotel for more classical finesse. Sen. Diaz agreed and said he will talk to Senator Mlib Tmechtul, who is a close friend, to use that white grand piano. I used that player grand piano in 1993. That piano can play by itself if you will plug and insert a cassette to a machine with prerecorded piano pieces. The keys will also go down as if there’s somebody playing it.
                When I’m playing “Song for Anna”, Orly Matias, the bus driver of the hotel, noticed that it’s not one of the songs that included in the list. He went beside me and saw that the cord of the machine is not plugged into the outlet. He said, “So, it’s really you playing! I thought you are just pretending to play and just “flowing” with the rhythm but I saw the machine is not plugged in.”
                While playing music at Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort, a Palauan lady approached me and asked where she can buy those CDs she heard while listening to the talk show of Sen. Diaz. I said to her that she can ask Sen. Diaz because it’s not for sale. And that we have an agreement that whoever wants to have those songs, he will record it for a price.



Sources: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
              http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
              April 25, 2013 -- September 01, 2016

             Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
             The Beginning of Chess in Palau
             By Roberto Hernandez
             Soon to be published as a book 


No comments:

Post a Comment