Friday, April 7, 2017

(1358) PHOTOS -- 2002 ALL-FILIPINO CHESS TOURNAMENT (June 09, 2002)




THE FIRST EVER CHESS TOURNAMENT IN PALAU.... Held at Mindzenty Auditorium in June 09, 2002. There are 20 participants including my daughter Karen Cando, Michelle Ramos, her dad Ben Ramos, Remy Mingo, Angie Sisior, Eugene Koh, Glen M Navarroza, eventual champ Eddie Grefiel, Consul Julius Torres, Mario Ramos, Geoffrey Moro, Vincent Vega Vergara, Amante C. Caballero, Mike Miguel, Jr., Bong Alipoon, Noel Filomeno, Jimmy Valenzuela, Jimboy de Jesus, me and my colleague and the best guitarist Palau ever had, the late Lemuel "Lemon" Bacor. AFTER 15 YEARS, PALAU CHESS IS NOW KNOWN TO THE WORLD. Me having participated in 2009 Oceania Zonal Chess Championship in Australia and 4 straight chess Olympiads (2010 Russia, 2012 Turkey, 2014 Norway and lately 2016 Baku, Azerbaijan. WAY TO GO PALAU CHESS!!! To know more about Palau, Palau chess, music, heritage, people, tradition, and others, please check the Palau Chess Federation website http://palau-chess.blogspot.com where I have posted 1,365 posts that were viewed by more than 266,000 people from 139 countries.


























Sergio Alemania, the Vice President of The Filipino Community in Palau (TFCP), asked me, "Is there enough chess players in Palau to start the first ever chess tournament in Palau?" I said yes and from then on, Palau chess was born...






                           CHESS MATE
                                                      By Roberto Hernandez


THREE years ago, I was approached by Tutii Joe Chilton, the most active Palauan chess player today, to form a chess club.

Without hesitation, I agreed to donate my free time, chess books, use of my chess clock, and experience to develop chess in Palau.

The idea didn't materialize but in the middle of this year, TFCP (The Filipino Community In Palau) Vice President Sergio Alemania asked me if there were enough chess players in Palau to hold the first-ever chess tournament in Palau.

He assigned me to be the chairman of the tilt that drew 20 contestants including four women.

An All-Filipino tournament was held early this year, followed by an open competition on Sept. 15, 2002 in which Tutii Joe Chilton, who was the first contestant I invited to participate, acted as my co-chairman.

The tournament was participated in by 28 chess players including four Palauans and two Americans, the rest being Filipinos.

The youngest competitors were a 9- and an 11-year-old Palauans.

On January 12, 2003, another open chess tournament will be held which will be categorized into Class A and Class B championships after a 5-round classification games.

Anyone who wishes his or her chess savvy by testing one's skills in a real chess tournament is invited to participate.

I would like to start this column with two instructional chess quizzes. The solution to the quiz on the left is written upside down; to the one on the right will be revealed next week.

If you have questions about chess and the next open chess tournament, please call me at 488-3694. #










Source: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
             Tia Belau Newspaper
             Page 12
             Volume 12
             Issue 52
             December 29, 2002 - January 04, 2003 



I was given a free copy of Tia Belau newspaper since I started writing for them in Dec. 29, 2002.

But it will be given to me when I will submit my next report so I always buy it on Friday and I get my copy on Wednesday or Tuesday.

I was able to collect all 52 copies for the year 2003. When me and my wife rented a room in Topside in 2006, I put all those 52 copies of Tia Belau in an empty sack of rice and put it under the rented room's open space (on the ground with a plywood under it).

SOMEBODY THROW AWAY OR STEAL THAT WHOLE SACK OF 52 ISSUES OF CHESS MATE WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM ME OR MY WIFE.

When I started to make a scrap book out of those old newspapers, I'm missing the whole year of 2003 with the exception of a few xerox copies that I posted in the bulletin board of Palau High School Gym. 

When I was allowed to check the publisher's copies (all originals), the whole year of 2003 is also missing!

One of the graphics designers of Tia Belau told me that I should have been the only person in the world to have that entire 2003 copies of Tia Belau had it's not been thrown away or stolen by someone who doesn't care about history.

ANYWAY, I WAS ABLE TO PRODUCE A 2-HOUR VIDEO ENTITLED "CHESS IN PALAU 2002-2004" WHERE ALL THE FIRST 6 MAJOR CHESS TOURNAMENTS IN PALAU WERE DOCUMENTED THROUGH THAT VIDEO AND THROUGH TIA BELAU, PALAU'S FIRST NEWSPAPER.


Source: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
            Tia Belau Newspaper
            Page 12
            Volume 12
            Issue 52
            December 29, 2002 - January 04, 2003
    


       







Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              December 29, 2002--March 24, 2017

              The History of Chess in Palau
              By Roberto HERNANDEZ
              June 09, 2002 -- March 24, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment