Wednesday, April 5, 2017

(1353) BLITZ IN APRIL, RAPID AND JULY AND PNCC IN SEPT. (TBN-March 13, 2017)



: DIFFERENT TEAM MEMBERS EVERY OLYMPIAD
                    2016 Baku, Azerbaijan World Chess Olympiad members-- from left, Dennis Gonzales, Paquito Suringa, Jr., Allan Alcid, Joselito Marcos and Roberto Hernandez. Taking this photo is Jeff Balbalosa. The Delegate is PCF President Eric Ksau Surangel Whipps. At the 2018 WCO in Batumi, Georgia, Cyril Tomas Montel, Jr. and Baby Edna Mission qualified for winning the 2016 PNCC.
                                           (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)


                BLITZ IN APRIL,
             RAPID IN JULY and
          P. N. C. C. in September  
 

THE FIRST Board Meeting of the newly elected officers of Palau Chess Federation was moved from Monday, March 06 to Tuesday, March 07 with me not realizing the postponement, still went to Bethlehem Park. Angie Sisior also didn’t know it but I informed her.

                The last one to come at the meeting was Angelo Salvadora, who came from Airai, with the meeting already ongoing with the first agenda already tackled—the new laptop for the PCF, to be kept by me. The old laptop is already 7 years old and defective. In the last Board Meeting of the old officers, it was not approved by members but PCF President Eric Ksau Whipps suggested to me to write a letter to his dad and it was approved, for the amount of $578.00.

                At 6:40, I left the meeting to work at Palau Royal Resort as musician from 7-11pm. I leave Angie my ball pen and 2 pieces of paper to write the other matters tackles during my absence.
                On the next day, Wed., I asked Eric on what to do first to get the laptop. He said to come to his office and get the check, I then proceed to Dennis to issue me a check and a receipt. I brought back the receipt to the lady who gave me the check and I proceed to the department store to buy the laptop that I surveyed a month ago (HP model with a price tag of $579.00). 

                That model is not at the shelves anymore. I was sold earlier and the lady supervisor suggested to me to get a Lesovo model worth $595.00. I checked the other model which is $200.00 more but bigger screen and more features. I decided to buy an HP brand worth $799.00 and used the check and an additional $181.05 which I paid using my Bank of Guam debit card. With a discount of $39.95, I paid a total of $759.05. Then I proceed to Jeff Balbalosa for him to install the basic things to install. The Swiss Perfect, Chessbase 12 and other chess programs to be installed next time.

                When I get the check, Angie returned to me the ball pen and the other matters discussed during the later part of the meeting. I mentioned to them that my day off is Monday and Sunday. The next meeting will be on Monday, April 10 at 5:45pm so that I can attend till the end of it.

                There are 4 possible venues for  Arbiters’ Seminar on May 17-19, 2017 to be conducted by IA and Deputy President of Asian Chess Federation Toti Abundo—Airai State Office, Airai View Hotel, Palasia Hotel and the Campaign Headquarters Office, in which if available, food will be provided.

                The confirmed attendees to that seminar are Dennis Gonzales, Angelo Salvadora, Cyril Tomas Montel, Jr. Rustum Cabuso, me, Angie Sisior and Paquito Suringa, Jr. The seminar can have up to 20 participants with a fee of $50.00 each. Some players from Guam are requesting if they can attend that seminar which will requires at least 6 hours a day for 3 days to complete the course.

                Another way to represent Palau in Olympiad is if a player is also a FIDE Arbiter like Red Dumuk of the Philippines, who is one of the FIDE Arbiters in 2014 WCO in Tromso, Norway. If chosen to be an arbiter in an Olympiad, FIDE offers free accommodation, airfare and good pay for doing so.

                I and Salvadora have agreed to study the Swiss Perfect so that there are at least 2 different chess players that can be defended on especially in the Swiss pairings.

                Chess in Schools is also discussed that will start sometime in September this year. FIDE’s Chess in Schools Program Head Kevin O’Connel will be coming to Palau for this matter with his accommodation and other expenses being shouldered by FIDE for the development of Chess in Schools programs.

                The next tournaments of PCF are the Blitz Chess Championship in April, to be followed by Rapid Championship in July and the 2017 Palau National Chess Championship in September (including the qualifying to the Top 10 or Top 12 Division).

                The time control for Blitz is 5 minutes + 3 seconds increment, 20 minutes + 10 seconds increment for Rapid and 90 minutes + 30 seconds increment in the PNCC. The results of these tourneys will be reviewed first by the board before submitting to Jamie Kenmure, Palau’s rating officer.

                Solution to last week’s puzzle No. 4438: 1. …Qg5+ 2. Kf2 Qh4+ 3. Kg1 Nh3#

                This week’s puzzle No. 3857 White to move and mates in 3 (Solution next issue)




Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              Pages 9-10
              Volume 26
              Issue 23
              March 13, 2017

              Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
              The Beginning of Chess in Palau
              By Roberto Hernandez
              Soon to be published as a book

             Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
             Tia Belau Newspaper
             March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
             http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
             April 25, 2013 --March 13, 2017

             The History of Chess in Palau
             By Roberto Hernandez
             June 09, 2002 -- March 13, 2017   





No comments:

Post a Comment