Wednesday, December 24, 2014

(832) MUSIC AND ME (Oct. 02, 2014) THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT "WAVES"

ROBERTO, MICHIKO NAKAMURA, KATSUTOSHI NAKADA & THE LUCKY CHAIR
     Michiko Nakamura, middle, and Katsutoshi Nakada, right, have been to Palau 8 times. The last time they were in Palau was in Dec. 16, 2013 where they have given Roberto many Christmas gifts and they have enjoyed the night when Michiko requested "Desperado" and Mr. Nakada - "Hotel California" where Jovy Rodriguez "assisted" me to the ad lib of it--TO THEIR DELIGHT AND ENJOYMENT!
The lucky chair at left is where the 2 young Japanese ladies put their $50.00 tip because of 'endless waving'.              (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)



THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT "WAVES"  

A FEW weeks after I came back from representing Palau to the 2012 World Chess Olympiad in Istanbul, Turkey, (Sept. 2012) there are 2 young Japanese girls (in their mid-20's) who passed by me while I'm playing mostly Japanese songs.

As they are going out of the main big glass entrance door, they began to wave at me and walking slowly.

At that time, the song that I'm playing is an easy song so I can wave to them with my left or right hand depending on which hand is not "busy".

They seemed to enjoy waving more and more and I wave more and more sometimes with both hands.

One hundred feet away and they seemed to be enjoying to wave more even though they are already in the "intersection" of Palau Royal Resort hallway going to the front desk.

I still wave to them even though it's only their hands I can see. To my surprise, they came back a few feet to wave some more before they disappear to my sight.

THE NAME OF THE RESTAURANT WHERE I AM PLAYING PIANO FROM 7-9 PM IS "WAVES RESTAURANT"!
 
MAYBE THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT "WAVES".

The next day, they had dinner at Waves Restaurant. I recognized them easily because they are wearing the same clothes as last night.

The new General Manager (GM) Mr. Masayuki Kawaguchi of PRR is also having dinner at that time with his wife Midori.

I played mostly Japanese songs for the ladies.

Before paying their bill, the 2 approached me and put some tips on the lucky chair. One of them signaled that they have put tips on the chair because it looks like I'm not looking at it. She just pointed at the lucky chair.

Then we waive at each other again but not as much as last night.

After they are gone from my sight, I look at the tip and it's $50.00!

The PRR GM passed by and I showed him the $50.00 tip and he said, "Oh! They enjoyed your music very much that's why they gave you that much!"

MAYBE BECAUSE OF THE "WAVES" ALSO.  


During the Opening Day of 2009 Oceania Zonal Chess Championship, I found out that there is a Waves Restaurant in Gold Coast, Australia.

After helping in setting the venue, Mr. Gary Bekker gave me AU$20.00 knowing that I don't have Australian dollars yet.

Together with (right to left) Jamie Kenmure, Bernard Saavedra, Chief Arbiter IA Charles Zworestine and Sam, we had lunch at a nearby restaurant.

After ordering our food, I noticed from the food menu that the name of that restaurant is Waves Restaurant.

I asked the Australian waitress to take a photo of us with me holding the menu that states "Waves Restaurant". I said to her that I'm working as musician in Palau and the name of the restaurant where I'm playing piano is also Waves Restaurant.

What a nice first day experience in Australia!

It's also the first time that I met Jamie Kenmure, who became Palau Rating Officer in 2010 and Palau Chess Team Captain in the 2010 World Chess Olympiad in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia; 2012 World Chess Olympiad in Istanbul, Turkey and the just concluded 2014 World Chess Olympiad in Tromso, Norway.  


Source: Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
            The Beginning of Chess in Palau
            By Roberto Hernandez
            June 2009-August 2014
            To be published as a book in the future    
   

        

No comments:

Post a Comment