Saturday, December 27, 2014

(844) MUSIC AND ME (Nov. 06, 2014) JAPANESE WORDS "KAKKOI" AND "UNOBORE OTTOKO"

4 BUSINESS CARDS FOR 2 JAPANESE COUPLES
     They requested "Futari De Osakeo" and "Nada Sou Sou" and gave me $10.00 tip. Before going to Breeze Bar for another 2 hours of keyboard music, I talk with them for a few quality minutes. They enjoyed my mention of Japanese words "kakkoi", which means "handsome" and "unobore ottoko" which means --"handsome in the outside look but not inside" or "a man praising himself as handsome".
                                       (Photo by Roberto Hernandez) 



      JAPANESE WORDS "KAKKOI" and
                "UNOBORE OTTOKO"

IN November 13, 2014, new waitress Pamela, ask for Japanese songbook which she will show to the 4 Japanese guests sitting near the window.

They chose only one song "Futari De Osakeo", which I can play with emphasis and a little upbeat.

Pamela brings the songbook again to them and they request another one --"Nada Sou Sou".

They are busy talking and I played alternately Taiwanese, Japanese and American songs.

Later, a lady from the group gave me $10.00 tip. I stopped playing at exactly 9pm and before going to Breeze Bar for 9-11pm performance on a keyboard, I dropped by to them and thank them for the tip and applaud.

I told them that I have to play for another 2 hours at Breeze Bar and my performance at Waves Restaurant is 7-9pm. I gave all 4 of them my card.

I mentioned to them that I've been to Japan for 6 months in Feb. - September 1982. And that every time that we had picture taking, I always said to my new Japanese friends the word "kakkoi, ne?" (which means "I'm handsome, isn't it?) while pointing at my photo.

My best friend in Kagoshima City, Masato Iwagawa, always contradict it when I mentioned "kakkoi" and he will add the word "unobore ottoko". Almost all of the Japanese guests will laugh when I said the word "unobore ottoko" after saying I'm "kakkoi". Masato's wife, Kimiko, will agree with her husband about kakkoi and unobore ottoko.

The lady, 2nd from right, in the photo, mentioned that I really know the Japanese word that will make Japanese laugh when I mention it.

Those words (kakkoi, unobore ottoko, baka, sukebe) are just a few 'catchy and funny' words that will lighten up an informal conversation, whether in English or mix of Japanese and English.

Former Palau President for 4 years (2008-2012) Johnson Toribiong taught me one Palau word and it's applicable when I operate the karaoke and there are few guests left... I will say to them the word that President Toribiong taught me..."Algaron dikid" which means "Thank God, it's only us now." There's even a Palau song which mention those words a lot of times.

I've known Mr. Toribiong since 1993. There's one night at Image Restaurant that I'm playing piano and he requested "I Can't Stop Loving You". I play it and sung with it sometimes especially in the chorus part.

He then gave me $10.00 tip and put it in a big glass for tip. Later, I've got another $10.00 tip from another guest. 

Then comes an old Japanese guy who requested "Kawa No Nagareno Yo Ni". He's got $2.00 in his hand as tip but when he saw that the tips at the tip glass are all $10.00 bills, he put another $10.00 instead of $2.00!

Thirty eight years ago, while I was working at The Plaza Restaurant in Makati, Philippines, I used the rest room where the attendant there have their tip tray, perfume, soap and tissue ready for tourists (mostly Japanese) who will used the rest room.

While I was combing my hair, there comes a lone Japanese guest. I pretend that I'm using the soap and the perfume when he is about to do the same.

I get from my wallet a 20-peso bill and put it at the tip tray so that it will act like a bait. The Japanese guy also get the same bill. He's got lower (10, and 5 pesos) bills but he wants to give the same as I gave.

That amount is more than half of a whole day earnings at that time (1976). I'm making 37.00 pesos/day as pianist at The Plaza Restaurant (Branding Iron Steak House) playing a Yamaha Baby Grand Piano 2 hours at lunch time and 3 hours at dinner time in 1980.

I've waited outside the rest room and when the Japanese guest left, I immediately went back to the rest room and said to the attendants, "I will take back my 20 pesos, ha?"
The 'bait' works!



Source: Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
            The Beginning of Chess in Palau
            By Roberto Hernandez
            1976-2014
            To be published as a book in the future
   

      

         

No comments:

Post a Comment