Tuesday, August 7, 2012

(254) MUSIC AND ME (Aug. 2) Music Control




HE CAN'T PLAY PIANO WITHOUT MUSIC SCORE
The Japanese guy in this photo is impressed with the way Roberto Hernandez is playing piano without sight of music notes or score. He can only play when there's a music score in front of him. Hernandez uses scores only when he don't know the melody of a song. (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)


                        MUSIC CONTROL





ON JULY 24, 2012, a lot of firsts have happened to my music career:

While playing piano at Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort, a Taiwanese guy with his teen-age son asked me if I can let his son play ONE song for the newly-wed Taiwanese couple next to their table.

I let him play ONE song and the newly-wed couple came near the piano with the guy taking video of the boy. After ONE song, they requested him to play another one, this time it’s a classical piece. He’s good and plays with expression already at his young age.

In the middle of the 2nd song, Chef Masaki Horie came very close to me and firmly said, “Enough!”

After the 2nd song, back to ‘normal’ again but before playing my 3rd song, Chef Horie ordered me to sign a newly printed “PIANIST GUIDELINES” that said—DON’T PLAY TAIWANESE AND JAPANESE MUSIC -- DON’T SING WITH THE SONG YOU PLAY ---DON’T PLAY GUESTS REQUEST BECAUSE THEY’RE GOING TO SING ALONG WITH IT ---DON’T LET GUESTS PLAY THE PIANO.


FAILURE TO FOLLOW YOU WILL BE GIVEN CORRESPONDING PUNISHMENT.


PREPARED BY: CHEF HORIE MASAKI (Signed) 7.24.12


ACKNOWLEDGE BY: ROBERT HERNANDEZ


When I signed it, I asked him if I can have a copy so that I can show to guests who are requesting that GUIDELINES. Five minutes later, I’ve got a copy with his 2ndsignature and date 7.24.12 that says “get signature from Robert”.

Another 5 minutes later, a young American lady showed me a list of her requested songs“Pick 2, your choice” –“Sound of Silence” and “Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Simon and Garfunkel; “Unchained Melody”by Righteous Brothers; “Everything I Do (I Do It For You)” by Bryan Adams and“With Or Without You” by U2.

Chef Horie is looking at us when I showed her the Guidelines. It’s the first test that I’m following it.

She said, “DON’T PLAY TAIWANESE AND JAPANESE SONGS –but my requests are American songs.”

I said, “I know all of your requests, not only 2 of my choice. I will play all of it but please don’t sing along with it.” I was able to play all her requests without Chef Horie’s knowledge.

After playing the 5th one, I followed it up with another Simon and Garfunkel song “Scarborough Fair/Canticle” and she comes again to me and said,“I like also the one you’re playing now. Can I give you tip?”


She thought giving tip to me is also prohibited. I said it is okay and she gave me $5.00 in new single dollar bills. And I played some more songs of Simon and Garfunkel.

Then our VIP and regular guests, Mr. Uehara and his family came a few minutes later. The last time that they’ve been at PRR was in March 22-25, 2012 where they gave me $10.00 on 3 occasions –March 22, 24 and 25. It’s my day off on the 23rd.

Chef Horie leads them to their table but he is not around when they requested Disney movies songs, Carpenters and Beatles songs. Mr. Uehara gave me $20.00 each this time on 3 consecutive nights.


He said they will be back again in Palau in January 2013. He asked me also what date I’m going to Istanbul for the 2012 World Chess Olympiad.

I mentioned to him in March 25, 2012 to please come again to Palau before August 27-September 10, 2012 because I’m not at PRR on that date till September 14, 2012.

The boy’s father approached me again before 9 pm. He wants his son to play another ONE. I said to him, “You said before, only ONE song. Because of that extra song, this GUIDELINE is issued just now.” And when he read the part “DON’T LET GUESTS PLAY THE PIANO”, he didn’t insist anymore.


When Tonet Medilo read the guidelines, she asked me some questions that either me can’t answer—Why is he trying to control your music? Is he jealous that you are making money from tips? But you’re not forcing them to give you tips. It’s from their heart because they enjoy your music. Isn’t he happy that guests are enjoying your music? Is he jealous also of your popularity? Do you ever get complaint because of playing so-so music?

Even with a small problem like this, I usually ask for God’s help to clear the minds of people who are giving me hard time because I’m doing my job. Maybe it’s HIS way so that I can adapt some popular Japanese and Taiwanese songs into gospel songs to praise HIM! PRAISE THE LORD! GLORY TO GOD!


Source: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              Pages 8-9
              Volume 21
              Issue 52
             August 02, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment