Friday, August 23, 2013

(541) MUSIC AND ME (Aug. 08, 2013) Requesting A Song Or Two











SHE CAN'T BELIEVE IT

     The Taiwanese lady, 2nd from right, back row, can't believe that I was able to play for more than an hour all Taiwanese songs that are in her generation. She gave me $20.00 tip which is rare for a Taiwanese and have a photo session before leaving.                          (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)



        REQUESTING A SONG OR TWO
IT WAS not my night in August 05, 2013. When I started playing piano at Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort from 7pm, there's a Taiwanese family in front of the piano.

There are 2 girls, 3 ladies and a guy. When I started playing Taiwanese songs, one of the lady sing-along with my rendition of Taiwanese songs.

There is also a young Japanese couple that are a few meters away from them. I alternately play 2 Taiwanese songs, 1 Japanese song and 1 American song.

The Japanese guy is somehow confused or amaze because even when I played the Japanese song "Kampai", the lady also sings it in Taiwanese version. The same as in the song "Sakeyo".

When I play "More Than I Can Say", she sings it also. There is also a Taiwanese version of that song by Leo Sayer. 

There is also another Taiwanese family of 4 close to their table. Their 2 teenage daughters approach me, with a dollar in her hand and ask for my Taiwanese songs songbook.

I gave her the songbook and she chooses a song there, with the title starting with "1945. .... "  I said to her that I'm not familiar with the song yet. She keeps the dollar. It's my first time to experience such stinginess.

Mostly when people requested me a song or two and they have money for tip, and I don't know the song/s that they are requesting, I usually ask who is the singer of that song if I don't know that song/s.

I will suggest that I'll play some songs of that singer and they will be satisfied with that and will give tip that is ready at hand.

On my last song of the night, the lady who always sings asked for the lyrics of "The Greatest Love Of All" and she sang it in key of C! It's a man's key but she can sing high notes.

Michelle Liao, comptroller of PRR, is having dinner with some friends at the wooden area of Waves Restaurant. She talked to Hazel, the supervisor, who said to me, "I didn't know that singing is not allowed here. Michelle might scold you later.Did they give you tip?"  I said no.

I played for straight 2 hours that night and didn't use the restroom so I didn't see that Michelle was there. 

THAT EXPERIENCE WITH TEENAGE TAIWANESE AFFIRMS MY EXPECTATION THAT TAIWANESE ARE NOT REALLY GIVERS LIKE JAPANESE OR AMERICANS.

JUST 2 NIGHTS LATER, I WAS PROVEN WRONG!!!

Many Taiwanese guests again when I played from 7-9pm on August 6, 2013.

When I am starting to set the keyboard at Breeze Bar for another 2 hours of music, there is a big group of Taiwanese occupying a long table. 

I noticed that they all had dinner at Waves Restaurant but they are using the Royal Snack, which they have to use on the same date written on it. It includes one drink and one appetizer.

After my first song, a Taiwanese guy requested me to play "Always On My Mind" by Willie Nelson and the theme from "Godfather" -- "Speak Softly Love".

He danced with his wife to the 1st song and asked me to stop on the 2nd song as it is too slow for them.

I played the Taiwanese song "Grandma's Penghu Bay" and most of them dance. I followed it up with all Taiwanese songs "Heart Of The Bloom", "Tian Mi Mi", "Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Xin", "Ye Lai Xiang" and "Lan Hua Cao".

BUT... WHEN I PLAYED THE "GAO SHAN QING" (Evergreen Mountain), all of them danced, holding each hand and making a huge circle surrounding the coconut tree in the middle.

It happened to me a few months ago that Taiwanese guests really like this song. And they did the same dance formation.

Jeff, the bartender, told me that I have to make the song longer because they're really enjoying it. So, I played the songs 3 times longer than its normal length.

A guy from the group gave me $10.00 tip. They continue to dance (slow or upbeat) for almost an hour. I have played almost all of the Taiwanese songs I know.

Later, the guy who requested me the first 2 songs gave me $20.00 tip!  They're not stingy.  

               MY OWN OBSERVATION SINCE 1980's:
When young people requested me songs, of course latest songs, I usually get no tips. It's because they're are not established yet financially.
   I remember in 1980, I'm playing at lunch time in Branding Iron Steakhouse of The Plaza Restaurant in Makati. Two young ladies requested "Rainbow Connection". I don't know yet that song but they don't want to leave until I've played it.

   One night as I'm sleeping, my roommate lets his FM radio playing till 2am and it plays "Rainbow Connection". I listen to it intensely trying to memorize its melody. But once is not enough. I need to listen to a new song at least 3 times, then play it with a keyboard or guitar at least 3 more times.

   There's also some occasion that you need to rely on your 'music instincts'. A few days after the Rainbow Connection request, I was requested again by a guy to play "Love Me Tender". I know the song but I haven't play it yet on the piano.
   I surprised myself when I played it for the first time and without mistakes!

   In 2009, Arnel Pama, chief steward of PRR, printed a Filipino song from internet "Bakit Ngayon Ka Lang" (Why You Came Just Now In My Life) and put it at the piano music stand and say, "Please try it and we will sing it if you don't know the melody."
   What happened amazed Arnel and he became interested in music. After playing sluggishly during the 1st stanza and chorus of the song, I was able to play the rest WITH EXPRESSION! as if I know the song long time ago.

   In 1986, I playing piano at Sinugba Restaurant when a young Filipino guest asked for my songbook. He will choose there his requested songs. My songbook is handwritten alphabetically. He chose 7 songs from letter A and wrote it on a piece of paper.

    I'm on the 4th song and here comes another 4 requested songs for letter B... it keeps going that I haven't finish yet his requests and new ones keep on coming.

    When he and his date left, there are still about 5 songs I haven't played yet. AND HE DIDN'T GIVE EVEN A SINGLE PESO!  If he used a jukebox with those requests, he should have spent at least 20 pesos!

    Days later, there is an American lady dining with some friends near the piano. She didn't request any song but gave me 50 pesos because she likes the songs I've played.



Source: Chess And Music 
             Perfect Combination
             The Beginning of Chess In Palau
             To be published as a book in the future 
  

  
     
               
          

No comments:

Post a Comment