Tuesday, August 6, 2013

(532) "I WAS TORTURED IN THE PASADENA JAILHOUSE" (By Bobby Fischer) Part 3

"I WAS TORTURED IN THE PASADENA JAILHOUSE"
Part 3
By Robert James Fischer

            CONTINUATION OF ‘I WAS TORTURED IN THE PASADENA JAILHOUSE’



                THE NEXT thing I knew I was brought my first food for over 24 hours, which shows you never know what to expect next in a madhouse. It consisted of 2 T.V. dinners and a little bit of a soft drink. I ate one T.V. dinner and decided to save the other one for later since the “room service” was so irregular. A while later, however, I was transferred back to the cell they’d put me in originally when I first came to the jailhouse. I asked the jailer to let me take the other T.V. dinner with me but he refused permission.

                The cell they returned me to now had no running water. They claimed they couldn’t understand it: “the water and plumbing had worked just fine in there before,” –chuckle, chuckle. After I was returned to this cell for what seemed like a very long time—some 10 hours or so or perhaps more—I became very, very thirsty, having had only a small amount of water to drink since my arrival. (Of course, how could I know they would later deny me even this basic necessity?)

                I told them I was hungry and especially thirsty, and that there was no running water in my cell. Just to make doubly sure I didn’t get any water to drink, the toilet was full of urine. They either laughed, made snide remarks, ignored me, or told me I was being “punished” for my attitude. Finally, after countless repeated requests for water, a big, tall blond or red-headed cop came to my cell window and smiled in and said, “Here, I’ve got some water for you.” Something about his “friendly” laughing attitude made me suspicious, and I said, “Open the door and bring it in—I can’t take it through the steel mesh opening. It’s too small, how can I get it?”

                He answered, “You ever hear of a straw? Come here, I’ll give it to you through a straw.” I half suspected something was up and as I got up out of the bunk I found I was right—he threw the water all over my back and on the metal bunk and on the small pieces of toilet paper I had placed on the metal bunk to make it ever so slightly softer. The big cop walked away laughing hysterically. He was saying to his jailer officer buddies, “Did you see that? Ha, ha, ha!” I said, “You’re really sick, only a sick person would do that.” He said, “I know it, ha, ha, ha, that’s why they hired me, ha, ha, ha, ha!” This is typical of a kind of sicko’s and whacko’s who run the Pasadena jailhouse and work for the Pasadena police force.
                I should also add that in the jailhouse there are lady jailers and female prisoners. The female jailers were constantly walking past my cell and could see right into it and see me stark naked. The same for women prisoners. I remember at least one colored young lady prisoner being led past my cell. Where is the decorum and decency in all this? Also, I was twice forced to walk stark naked down the hallway of the jailhouse when I was transferred to different cells, in plain view of all.
                Later I was threatened again with being sent to a mental hospital for 30 days observation, then I’d be sent back here, and he said something about Norwalk, or Norfolk. Numerous times I told them I thought I have the constitutional right under the Fifth Amendment to remain silent. They replied, “No, not until you give us the information we want.” I said, “You mean you’re going to keep me here forever, incommunicado until I talk?” “That’s right,” was the answer. “Here, or we’ll send you to a mental hospital. You’re obviously a very sick person.” Finally some time on Thursday morning, May 28th, I received my breakfast, which consisted of a few tablespoon of milk, a small carton of sugar coated cornflakes, and a canned peach slice. This was the first liquid I had had in a very long time.
                A man who said he was the chief jailer there, an older white-haired cop, told me that the reason for my clothes were taken away from me was that I might use them to commit suicide since I was obviously crazy. I said, “Well, have somebody watch me then.” Answer—silence. Then he promised to send me to the judge that morning if I’d answer just five questions. I asked him to tell me the five questions (it turned out to be six) in advance and I’d consider it. The six questions were: 1. Your name 2. Your place of birth 3. Your date of birth 4. Your address 5. Your height 6. Your weight. I answered the questions and sometime later was given my clothes back. I got dressed and was transferred to a big cell with several other prisoners.
                The police now for the first time answered my questions about what the charges were. They told me the charges against me were interfering with the duties of an officer. (I joked to some of the other prisoners that I was being charged with “interfering with the crimes of an officer.”)
                I was also told that I had a second charge against me now I was brought into the jail, i.e., destruction of prison property, namely a prison mattress. The old white-haired chief told me the mattress cost $80.00 new. “You’re going to be charged with destruction of prison property for getting in that mattress.” They also told me that bail was set at $500.00 on each count, for a grand total of $1,000.00 cash.
                I told the head jailer that now I wanted to see the judge as he’d promised. He broke his word and said that there’ would now developed some problem and that I wouldn’t be able to see a judge today that I’d have to wait until tomorrow for that.
                I was allowed to make phone calls from the public pay phone in this new cell. I called someone and told them the situation, that I’d been arrested, choked by the neck, and held in Pasadena jailhouse incommunicado and stark naked for the past 48 hours or so, etc. The person was shocked but relieved to hear from me since naturally the person had been very worried about my disappearance.
                After the person came down to the jailhouse and put up the bail money, I was taken to a special room for mug shot and to be fingerprinted. I asked the head jailer what if I refused to be fingerprinted, what would he do? He said they’d break every bone in my hands if they had to get those fingerprints.
                After the mug shot and the fingerprinting, thumb printing, hand printing, palm printing, etc., I was told to sign numerous documents, perhaps as many as 10 or more. I told the chief jailer that I like to read documents before I sign them. He insisted that I just sign them.
                I reiterated my previous statement and started to read them. He demanded that I sign the documents at once without giving me time to even partially glance at them. He covered the documents with his hand and arm and said, “All that concerns you is this here part at the bottom of the page,” indicating what looked like a kind of stamp or form letter part of certain words which I did not have time to read either.
                Having had little or no sleep for over 2 days and suffering from exhaustion, and knowing that a document signed under physical duress has no validity in law, and being in a hurry to get out of that damn hell hole, I signed the documents without reading them. I was not allowed to read them.
                For all I know I signed a confession that I killed 20 Pasadena police officers and that I destroyed all the mattresses in the entire jailhouse and then tore the jailhouse down with my bare hands.

(TO BE CONCLUDED NEXT ISSUE)



Source:
Chessmate by Roberto Hernandez
Tia Belau Newspaper
 October 04-10, 2010 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment