Sunday, October 21, 2012

(321) MUSIC AND ME (Oct. 18) MY NEW LUCKY CHARM

NEW, FOREVER LUCKY CHARM
Mr. Masayuki Kawaguchi, right, the new General Manager of Palau Royalal Resort, seems to be the new lucky charm of Roberto Hernandez. His wife, Flor, left, is his forever lucky charm and married her twice in March 11, 1983 (civil wedding) and Sept. 25, 1983 (church wedding).
(Photo by Roberto Hernandez)



MY NEW LUCKY CHARM






EDGAR Cayanan, the Assistant Food and Beverage Manager of Palau Royal Resort, has been my lucky charm in getting good amount of tips whenever he’s around since 2007-2010. Whenever he’s around, it seems that luck is always on my side. I’ve got $101.00 tips twice, $100.00 once, $90.00 once, $50.00 tips 4 times and he’s always around when I’ve got those.



When he accepted a job as Cruise Manager in Vietnam, the biggest tips I’ve received since he left is $44.00 in October 7, 2012. I believe that because he’s not around anymore, that record will not be broken… until recently but not quite. It’s been offset with different sources of extra income – teaching music to kids.


It seems that I have a new lucky charm when I came back from representing Palau in the 2012 World Chess Olympiad in Istanbul, Turkey. A new General Manager, Mr. Masayuki Kawaguchi, has replaced Mr. Masahiro Fujita and everybody seems to be very inspired with the down-to-earth, humble and humorous way of managing the Palau Royal Resort’s employees.


On October 09, 2012, Mr. Kawaguchi watched my performance of playing keyboard at Breeze Bar of PRR. While I’m setting the keyboard, he saw its brand –Yamaha and I showed him that the price is still there at $469.95 that was bought from Surangel’s.


I also showed him my 2 song books, one all-Japanese songs and another song book of international songs but mostly American songs. There are 4 tables occupied by mostly Japanese guests. I started to play instrumental Japanese songs and singing in some part of those.


Mr. Kawaguchi requested “Itoshino Elly” that I have written in Katakana. I sang it without looking at the lyrics because I memorized the song many years ago because it is the most requested Japanese song in my music career. I followed it up with the singing of “Oribia O Kikinagara” in key of G#. The original key (lady singer) is key of F. All guests appreciated my music and singing. Mr. Kawaguchi is sitting at the bar behind me.


A few minutes later, a guy from the furthest table gave me $10.00 tip and put it on top of the keyboard. It’s windy that night and my tip was blown away by strong wind. Mr. Kawaguchi asked Jovy (bartender) to pick it up. Before giving it back to me, she put it first in her pocket. Everybody laughed and while I’m singing “Stand By Me”, I sometimes stop because I can’t control also myself laughing. But Jovy put the tip in my polo shirt’s pocket.


Fifteen minutes later, a Japanese guy gave me another $10.00 before going to the rest room. I asked him if he has a request and he just said “Eric Clapton”. I said okay then, I will play “Wonderful Tonight” and “Tears in Heaven”. I already finished singing “Wonderful Tonight” when he comes back. After singing “Tears in Heaven”, 3 Taiwanese ladies sat at the table where the first guy who gave me $10.00 has sat with 2 others. They left already.


After Mr. Kawaguchi left at 10:45, the second guy who gave me $10.00 tip asks for pictorial with me and his wife. I asked Jovy to take the photo and gave her also my cell phone to take also a photo as my souvenir. I gave the wife my card while we are having pictorial.


I started playing Taiwanese songs when most Japanese guests have left. While I’m securing the keyboard at 11:00 pm, the 3 Taiwanese ladies also asked for pictorial. One of them gave me $5.00 tip.
Source: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
Tia Belau Newspaper
Pages 8-9
Volume 21
Issue 73
October 18, 2012



The Japanese guy requested Eric Clapton songs and I played "Wonderful Tonight" and "Tears In Heaven". He gave me $10.00 tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment