Wednesday, November 11, 2015

(1115) MUSIC AND ME (Oct. 22, 2015) GENEROUS AND THOUGHTFUL PRR GUESTS



On Oct. 12, 2015, we have many guests at Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort. Two of them are Japanese guys at the elevated center column at the right side of the piano. As they are talking, I haven’t played yet Japanese songs.
     When I played one of the most popular Japanese songs “Nada Sou Sou”, they applauded and later, the shorter guy, left, gave the waitress Ivy Pura $20.00 to give to me. I said thank you to them and the next song that I played is “Kou Jou No Tsuki”, in which I sang it to the delight of other Japanese and Taiwanese guests.
   F & B Manager Mervin Lee Cuyugan advised me not to sing again because Ma’am Michelle is at the wooden area. I still sing in lower tone and only to the part that I know the lyrics. Thirty minutes later, the other Japanese guy, right, requested “My Way”. I asked him, “Do you like the English version or the Japanese?” He said the Japanese version. I played it in Japanese version and sang it in low tone.
     Ten minutes later, he gave me another $20.00. They have taken many photos including me as their background. I put the songbooks that distract the view of my face to the left side.
    Before they go back to their rooms, I stop playing and gave them my card and we have a photo taken. When they go back 2 days later, they sit at the same table again. The guy who requested “My Way”, requested the same song again and gave me another $20.00. That night, they are going back to Japan. They said they will be back next year. AS USUAL, I FORGOT TO ASK THEIR NAMES.






     On Sept. 22, 2015, I’m playing keyboard at Breeze Bar of Palau Royal Resort. There are many Japanese guests there who appreciate my singing of Japanese and American songs. When I played “Hotel California”, there’s a Japanese guy, about 3 meters from my left, who is singing it with me. He knows the lyrics although you can really tell he’s Japanese because of the accent.
     At 11:00 pm, I stopped playing and gave the couple (guy) my card. He’s got $10.00 ready as tip and gave it to me after giving him my card. WE HAVE A PHOTO TAKEN AND AS USUAL, I FORGOT TO ASK THEIR NAMES.







On Dec. 16, 2013, Michiko Nakamura, left, gave me and my wife Christmas gifts (cards, postcards, photos and brown blazer, which I said to her that I will wear in Norway upon participation in the 2014 World Chess Olympiad (Aug. 01-14). Her and Katsutoshi ‘Kuma’ Nakada, right, have been to Palau 8 times. They are regularly sending me postcards from different countries that they have visited. She even sent me a Halloween card. In 2013, they gave me a dozen assorted chocolates and dough nuts from Japan. All of them are sweets so I gave to my wife because I’m diabetic.







One of the Taiwanese guys in this photo with Palau President Tommy Remengesau and First Lady Debbie, gave me $10.00 for accompanying a group of Taiwanese singers who sung 2 popular Palauan songs. Also included in this photo are Minister Baklai Temengil, the Palau National Olympic Committee General Secretary, Social Security Administrator Greg Ngirmang, where I tuned his piano many years ago, and the 2 top persons of Palau Royal Resort—Chairman Lin and President Liao. 



Sources: Music and Me
              By Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              March 15, 2012 -- April 2013
              http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
              April 2013 --October 22, 2015

              Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
              The Beginning of Chess in Palau
              By Roberto Hernandez
              June 09, 2002 -- October 22, 2015
              To be published as a book in the future 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment