Saturday, October 11, 2014

(795) MUSIC AND ME (July 03, 2014) RECORDING 20 PALAUAN SONGS WITH ALFONSO DIAZ

THE FORMER SENATOR IS A MUSIC LOVER
     3-term Palau Senator Alfonso Diaz, right, is a music lover with his own music studio and radio station. Early 2014, he is having a meeting with a Filipino lady at Waves Restaurant when this photo was taken. Before going to Norway for 2014 World Chess Olympiad, Roberto Hernandez, left, recorded 20 Palauan songs in his studio using the Yamaha Digital Grand DGX 220 that Roberto is using at Breeze Bar of PRR.
                                      (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)


  RECORDING 20 PALAUAN SONGS
          WITH ALFONSO DIAZ 

IN 2005, while Roberto Hernandez is playing keyboard at Rose Garden Resort for 11 months, Senator then Alfonso Diaz made a deal with him to record 10 Palauan songs in his music studio. 

He will produce CD out of those 10 songs and will sell it and it will also be used while the Palau Senate is having a session.

Instead of listening to the Palauan songs which has lyrics and sung by young Palauan singers, he said it's better to listen to just instrumental music because new Palauan songs have senseless lyrics and can ruin their sessions.

Senator Diaz said he will pay Roberto $500.00 for 10 songs.
 The following issue of Tia Belau has relative story about this:
     
AIRA JANE TORRES - MY BEST GIRL STUDENT
     At her young age, she can play "Fallin'" by Teri de Sario, "Love is All That Matters" by Eric Carmen, "Open Arms" by Journey, Lambada, Careless Whisper, "Because" by Dave Clark 5 and more than 30 more difficult songs that even an adult can't play or sing. Among her counterpart, Christian 'Shinji' Otsuka is my best boy student.
                                                                                 (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)





     MY MUSIC EXPERIENCE WITH FORMER
       PRESIDENT TOMMY REMENGESAU


On February 10, 2009, former President and now Senator Tommy Remengesau, Jr., were at Breeze Bar with 3 Palauan guys and a Japanese family of 3, who left earlier.

            I played mostly Palauan songs. They are applauding to my music. At 11:00 pm, I announced last song. While I’m securing my keyboard and cords, Tommy called me. He gave me $5.00 tip and we talked for a while about my 17 years working in Palau and only 4 times that I have taken a vacation. We talked also about my daughter’s (Karen) graduation in March 08, 2009 as nurse. His son, Isechal, was a classmate of Karen, who graduated at Mindzenty High School on May 28, 2004.

Exactly 10 years ago (May 28, 2014, Mindzenty High School graduation -2004) when this photo was taken with Isechal Remengesau, middle, and his uncle at Breeze Bar of Palau Royal Resort. Roberto Hernandez, left, asked Isechal to have a photo with him and he will show to his daughter Karen, who was a classmate of him .    (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)


            On June 16, 2008, there is a function of Palau Noni Juice at Waves Restaurant. President Tommy Remengesau was the guest speaker and the party had its own entertainment.

 At 9:30, I’m waiting for customers at Breeze Bar. Then, Tommy came by himself still in a light blue suit. He asked me what happened to the proposed recording of my Palauan instrumental songs with Senator Alfonso Diaz. I explained to him that Senator Diaz offered me $500.00 in 2005 to record about 10 Palauan instrumental songs by me in his recording studio using my own keyboard.

Dr. Victor Yano suggested that I should use a grand piano (the one at Airai View Hotel) to make a more classical sound. Senator Diaz said he will talk to Senator Mlib Tmetchul, a close friend of his, about using that piano. But 3 years have gone by and it didn’t materialize.

            While the president is having a drink, the First Lady Debbie and her mother came. I played mostly Palauan songs and they applauded after every song I played. Later, Leilani Reklai joined them.

            At 10:45, I called Assistant F & B Manager Edgar Cayanan about stopping live music at exactly 11:00 pm even though the First Couple are enjoying my music. Edgar said, “To be safe and not to disturb sleeping guests, just announce last 3 songs.”

            The president agreed to my announcement of last 3 songs. I saw him called his bodyguard to get something and when he comes back, he wrote something on a check book. He called me later and while giving me the check, he said, “This is from all of us.”

I said thank you to them and I asked Leilani, “Did you win the Aimilik governorship?” She said she’s crossing her fingers because the counting is still going on and it’s a very close race. The president said, “She won already. That’s why we’re here celebrating.”

            When I go to Dormitory 1 at 11:15, I saw the couple Jiji and Arnie Abad there and that’s the time that I look at the check amount – it’s $20.00. When I cash it the next day, Jiji and Arnie were at the Bank of Hawaii also.

            During my 11-month work as keyboard player at Rose Garden Resort (July 15, 2005- June 23, 2006), President Remengesau gave me tip of $10.00 twice and the last one there was $5.00 on March 16, 2006, the day that he signed the transfer law bill allowing workers to transfer to another company if (1.) The company closed down, (2.) The employer died and 3. The employer goes to jail.

            On November 02, 2000, two days before the Palau presidential election, Vice President then Tommy Remengesau, Jr. and his running mate Senator Allan Seid are having a political party at Image Restaurant where I’ve worked as musician/disc jockey for 13 years. When Senator Seid is about to have a speech, I stopped playing piano and Tommy approached me and said, “Robert, I know that you cannot vote. But maybe you can tell your Palauan friends to vote for me.” And he gave me $20.00.

            When I operate the karaoke at Image Restaurant after playing piano, I always remember the favorite songs of our regular customers. When Tommy sings karaoke, he doesn’t have to tell me what to sing. I know all his favorite karaoke songs like “Imagine” by John Lennon, “She Believes In Me” by Kenny Rogers, Hawaiian songs “Baby Blue” and “Don’t Say Goodbye”, “How Can I Tell Her” by Lobo and even “Let Me Be There” by Olivia Newton-John.

            In 2010 while I’m on my way up to Caroline’s Resort to teach keyboard/guitar to Liam and Gayle Bornovski, I saw Tommy jogging way up to Caroline’s Resort. I stopped for a while and we talk about teaching one of his kid piano.

            It’s just another casual conversation and it didn’t materialize yet. I’m still hoping that it will happen and then I’ll have the rare experience of teaching family members of 2 Palau Presidents (incumbent or former).


Source: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              Pages 8-9
              Volume 21
              Issue 68
             September 27, 2012

Early in June 2014, Senator Diaz talked to Roberto on the phone about recording 25 Palauan songs using his keyboard. To record it on USB and then record it in his music studio.

He said the songs must not exceed 2 minutes for each song. Roberto was able to record 5 Palau songs using the keyboard USER 1-5 that recorded 5 songs.

The 5 songs are Ngesuas, TNT, Mokedemokebii, Omruud a Reng and Odesangel.

The problem is now how to transfer it USB. The connector is okay with the adjustment but the it needs the disc (Yamaha) to be able to do it.

Roberto asked for help from Jeffrey Balbalosa, his teammate to 2014 World Chess Olympiad in Norway. They tried everything to do it until Roberto tried something --To record it straight from the keyboard to the recording studio of Senator Diaz.

He called him and since Roberto already have the keyboard with him, he proceeded to the new location of Senator Diaz FM Radio Station and music studio.

When they tried to record the recorded 5 Palau songs from keyboard to his amplifier, it works perfectly. It's July 04, 2014 (Friday) at that date and they agreed that Roberto will record another 5 songs and bring it back tomorrow for more recording.

Roberto recorded 5 more songs and when he comes back on Sat. morning, he brought the keyboard with its pedal, stand and adapter. 

After recording those 5 Palau songs, Roberto suggested to record "live" and they were able to finished 20 songs in 2 hours.

They agreed that Roberto will be paid $10.00 per song because it's only 2 minutes for a song instead of the usual 4-5 minutes.

Senator Diaz said he will use those music as background music whenever he is doing his radio program. It will be his property and if anybody wants a copy of that, he will charge them. He don't have plans to produce many copies of it for sale because he knows it's easier to pirate those songs in that way.



He showed Roberto all the places in that 3-storey house/studio/radio station.

When they talk about music, it seems endless conversation. When Roberto mentioned "WHEN YOU LOVE YOUR JOB, IT'S NOT A JOB ANYMORE" he agrees with it.          

No comments:

Post a Comment