Wednesday, October 1, 2014

(763) GETTING SCHENGEN VISA IN MANILA by Palau and Philippines Chess Teams


EXTRA DOCUMENTS TO SUPPORT GETTING SCHENGEN VISA
     Joy Flores Whipps, sitting right, explains to Baby Edna Mission, middle, and Angie Parrado, left, about the unique chess set made from coconut wood. She also told the top 2 Palau women players about extra documents that are not listed in the check list but will strengthen their application like the marriage contract, children's birth certificates and pay slips. Standing behind them are (L-R) Cyril Tomas Montel, Jr., Jeff Balbalosa and Dennis Gonzales.         (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)



      GETTING SCHENGEN VISA
                IN MANILA
       by Palau and Philippines
                Chess Teams

AT EXACTLY 8:00am on Thursday, July 17, 2014, Roberto is outside the perimeter of Petron Mega Plaza to buy travel insurance for getting Schengen visa. 

When the Norway name was called, I proceeded to the counter to go to 21st floor for the Royal Norwegian Embassy application of Schengen visa (Norway-Type C for short stay).

I told the lady that I will go first to the 28th floor to buy travel insurance at Standard Insurance Corporation. And that my appointment at the Embassy is at 8:30. She said I have to fall in line at the other side and that SIC will open at 8:30am.

I waited outside again and read Tia Belau newspaper while waiting. I'm hoping also that I will see the other 8 members of Palau Chess Team. I don't have communication with them because the number that I gave them (09473635098) is not working anymore. When I buy the new SIM card, the number now is 09398741123.

I kept my I.D. for 21st floor and get another one to go to 28th floor. The security guard told me that I will tell them that I was referred by Mr. dela Cruz to get travel insurance.

They asked me to wait in a small room with a round table and 4 chairs. There, I filled up some questions about how many days I will stay in Norway or Schengen state and how much is the travel insurance that I will get. Eric Ksau Whipps specifically told us to get a travel insurance not less than 30,000.00 euros.

That's what I get and 16 days coverage (from July 31-August 15, 2014). When a lady showed me the receipt for P2,489.77, I asked her if I can pay in US dollars. She said I can't.

After getting my TRAVEL PROTECT CONFIRMATION OF COVER, I proceed to the 21st floor hoping to see the others there. But that place is for finger printing of applicants and the last part of application process.

A Filipino security guard told me that my name is listed in there but I have to go to ground floor and turn to the left side of the building. He said I can still make it.

When I go there, I saw all the other 8 members of the Palau Chess Team there falling in line. That's the first place to go in applying.

They asked me why they can't contact me. At the airport, I'm asking Bernard his new number but he said he will be the one to text me. It should have been both ways that I know their numbers and they know my number so that there will be options if times like this happen.

When we are allowed inside, we have to turn off our cell phones and leave our bags at the counter. A lot of applicants inside. We occupy a table with only 2 chairs. All the others are standing while arranging our documents. Some rush to the xerox center for photocopy of incomplete documents.

Dennis was the first one to be given check list and the interviewer arrange that checklist of his papers in that order. He's got complete documents except travel insurance in which they get at ASST-Card, (Eric's recommendation). But while their receipt is being printed, there's a power interruption and they are asked to bring the receipts and those will be given to them in 30 minutes when Dennis follow-up about those. 

We arrange our papers according to the check list. Many of us have incomplete documents like me --the copy of my work permit, passport size photo and the missing photocopy of my passport (the Russian visa part).

We decided to go altogether for copies of all our missing documents. I have my passport size picture taken, copies of my passport including the old one (with Australian and Russian visas), copy of my work permit for P164.00.

Back to the Embassy after completing our papers. Before our interview, GM Eugene Torre, his wife Marylin and GM Jayson Gonzales headed to the counter for the Philippines team visa application. GM Gonzales is the only one who talk at the counter. 

Seeing there is a problem with their application, I go to Eugene, shake his hands and asked how's their application going. Mrs. Torre remembers me especially that I'm wearing a "Palau Team" polo shirt. 
We have a long conversation while in the middle round of 2012 World Chess Olympiad in Istanbul, Turkey and they are beside me during the closing ceremony of that Olympiad.

I told Eugene that they need to have the checklist so that all the requirements are ready. I gave him my extra blank copy of that check list. Later, they go out and showed it to the other members of the Philippines team (Open and women).

GM Gonzales waved to me while they are on their way to the xerox center indicating that they will have a photocopy of that check list for all members.

Half hour later, they went home one by one because none of them have complete documents. Wesley So, as usual, is not there. Only 2 in the women's team I recognized (they played in 2010 Russia WCO) -Cheradee Camacho and Catherine Perena. Two new faces also in the Open team. I forgot their names. They are not in 2010 and 2012 WCO.

We were interviewed by pair. Me and Cyril. The lady interviewer is very accommodating. She asked many questions about Palau. Who is Palau no. 1? I said him, and I'm no. 2. She sees that I have travel insurance already so I'm the only one with complete documents. I put my calling card also in the documents and she stapled it together with the document in the middle. She saw that I'm the General Secretary of Palau Chess Federation and a FIDE Instructor (which I will get the pin and certificate during or after the Olympiad in Norway).

The last ones to be interviewed were the mother and daughter Angelica Parrado, Destiny Sisior and Gladys Anne Francisco.

Ten minutes to 1pm, we took a quick lunch because the appointment for finger printing is at 1pm. I have milk fish cooked in vinegar and ginger (paksiw) with rice and 1 piece of rice cake (puto).

Long line also at finger printing. The guard recognized me and said, "You made it!"

Finger printing is done electronically. No messy inks. After each one of the Palau Chess Team is finished, we go separate ways and will be informed if the visa is granted/denied through our email addresses.

I learned that there's no power also in Hagonoy, Bulacan where I'm supposed to go after the visa process. My cell phone is low on battery as well as the laptop. If I will go there, I will arrive there at nighttime and without power, I have nothing much to do.

I decided to go back to Star Mall and recharge my cellphone and laptop. Harold, my sister-in-law's son, go with me. Long line again even at 7-11 stores. We decided to charge our cellphones at the same booth. I paid for Harold's due and we have a foot long hotdog snack while waiting for the charging. They denied charging my laptop. They don't charge laptops.

I surveyed the RTW surplus stores to look for winter clothes as it is very cold in Norway. I found 3 and will come back there on July 30 before our check-in at Heritage Hotel as Congressman Prospero 'Butch' Pichay will host us for a night (July 30 2pm check-in) and when we check-out on July 31 at 2pm, we will proceed all together to the airport for our 7:55 flight to Hong Kong; Hong Kong-Helsinki, Finland on Aug. 1 at 12:25am-6:10am; to Oslo from 7:35am-8:05am and return on the same route on Aug. 15, 2014 with additional Tromso-Bodo before Oslo.


Source: History of Chess In Palau
           By Roberto Hernandez
           July 2014
         
      

No comments:

Post a Comment