Sunday, May 27, 2012

(174) MUSIC AND ME (May 24) Moon River




WAVES RESTAURANT IN PALAU AND AUSTRALIA
After setting the tournament site, Roberto Hernandez, left, Jamie Kenmure, right, Scott, Bernard Saavedra and Charles Zworestine had lunch at Waves Restaurant in Australia. Roberto is playing piano at Waves Restaurant in Palau Royal Resort every night from 6-9 pm except Friday (his day off).                          (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)




                            MOON RIVER
                (THE SONG THAT CHANGES CHORD AT EVERY BAR)



THE MOVIE “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” has a wonderful theme song entitled “Moon River”. It was composed by Henry Mancini in 1961 and lyrics by Johnny Mercer.


It is the only song that I know that changes its chords at every bar. This song is written in ¾ or waltz so every bar, there are 3 beats. You can’t go wrong with its timing if you will continually count 1, 2, 3/ 1, 2, 3/ … all the way to the end of the song.


Moon River is one of the most requested songs in my music career. In 2005, while I’m on a break in playing keyboard for a farewell party of former Taiwanese Ambassador to Palau Clark Chen, who hired me to play at Palasia Hotel during that party. He paid me $25.00 per hour including the use of my own equipments.


A Taiwanese guy played a few songs on my keyboard during my break. When he played Moon River, I immediately know that he don’t have the idea that the song changes chord every bar. When he stays longer in one bar, I know he’s not playing it right.


So if you wish to learn that song by guitar, piano or keyboard, keep in mind not to stay in one chord after 3 counts and YOU’LL NEVER GO WRONG!


Among my previous and current students, only Christian ‘Shinji’ Otsuka was able to learn and play it correctly in more than one hour of studying that song. GOOD JOB, SHINJI!
In early 1980’s, a guy requested me to play Henry Mancini’s songs and Moon River was the first one that I’ve played then, not knowing that its chords changes every bar.

I JUST REALIZED THE SPECIAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THIS SONG A FEW YEARS AGO.

H E R E ‘S        T H E        S O N G --- and the chords –








                                                                                           MOON RIVER








C          Am      F                       C            F                          C                Dm6-E7
Moon River, wider than a mile. I’m crossin’ you in style someday.


Am    C7       F                  Bb      Am     Am7    Am6 B7              Em7           A7                Dm7 – G7
Old dream-maker, you heart-breaker Wherever   you’re goin’,     I’m goin’ your way.





C         Am       F                         C                     F                     C             Dm6 – E7
Two drifters, off to see the world There’s such a lot of world to see.


Am       Am7    Am6 F7       C                       F                                   C
We’re a f t e r the same rainbow’s end     Waitin’ ‘round the bend


F                               C         Am      Dm     G7   C – G#- Bb- Eb- G7
   My huckleberry friend Moon River and me.








                                                                                   F – Em – Dm - C


(REPEAT ALL EXCEPT LAST WORD)                 … me.




Source: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
             Tia Belau Newspaper
             Pages 8-9
            Volume 21 Issue 32
            May 24, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment