Tuesday, May 29, 2012

(178) IN HANDLING WHITE AND BLACK PIECES




THE MATCH THAT NEVER WAS
        Elizalde Madrinan, left, shakes hand with Jeffrey Negrillo before the start of their supposed to be official match of the 2010-2011 Palau National Chess Championship at Palau Royal Resort Dormitory 1. Their game was postponed due to schedule conflict. Mohammad Manik Hossain and Menandro Manuel, right, are playing on the other table. Manik defeated Madrinan after losing to Manuel on the same day.
                                                                                                (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)



IN HANDLING WHITE AND BLACK PIECES

THE GREAT chess master Bogoljubov, who popularized the Bogo-Indian Defence, has a popular quote about handling white or black pieces.

It's deep and applicable even in our everyday life: "WHEN I'M WHITE I WIN BECAUSE I AM WHITE, WHEN I'M BLACK I WIN BECAUSE I AM MYSELF."

This quote was mentioned by Roberto Hernandez to Mohammad Manik Hossain during their practice session on Wed., Dec. 08 at Palau Royal Resort Dormitory 1.

Manik always want to handle the black pieces to improve his defensive ability especially in endgames. He defeated Hernandez again twice in their practice.

Another beautiful quote from Gerzadowicz is mentioned: "OPENINGS TEACH YOU OPENINGS, ENDGAMES TEACH YOU CHESS."

A quote from former world champion Jose Raoul Capablanca of Cuba: "IN ORDER TO IMPROVE YOUR GAME, YOU MUST STUDY THE ENDGAME BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE."

And this one from another great master Aaron Nimzowitz: "WITH EVERY STEP NEARER TO THE ENDGAME, THE POWER OF THE KING INCREASES."

With one specific quote about pawn endings, Purdy noted: "PAWN ENDINGS ARE TO CHESS WHAT PUTTING IS TO GOLF."

A quote from Coleman, this time it's about openings: "I PLAYED THE BIRD AND DUTCH FAIRLY OFTEN, BECAUSE I HATED MEMORIZING OPENINGS."

This time, it's from William Steinitz: "I HAVE NEVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE THE FRENCH DEFENCE, WHICH IS THE DULLEST OF ALL OPENINGS."

Here's the lastest news from Gene Pastrana in his email to Roberto Hernandez dated Dec. 06: "ROBERT, How's the tournament going? I wish I can still join but maybe I can't finish my game. Anyway I'm coming tomorrow to Palau but must leave to Guam on the 13th Monday. My visa was approved and they gave me 5 years good enough to finish my contract with Hansen Helicopters. Once I settled in Guam temporarily I tell you about my plan about chess. GOD BLESS US ALWAYS. Gene.

Gene's chess practice partner Jose Misael 'Jimboy' de Jesus said through Manik that he is also skipping this year's edition of Palau National Chess Championship.

If Amante Caballero will not confirm also his participation, the field of 15 players will be reduced to 13.

The Jojo Escapatoria vs. Dennis Gonzales match on Thursday (Dec. 9) was postponed due to Dennis' vacation conflict of schedule. He is going for vacation with his wife and kid on Dec. 10-Jan. 5, 2011.

The Jojo-Tito match on the same day was also postponed for Sunday (Dec. 12).

Hernandez would like to thank again Ms. Yupha Ongrung for giving him the updated itinerary of their trip to New Zealand to attend the inaugural Oceania Chess Confederation meeting and to participate in the Oceania Zonal Chess Championship in Rotorua on Jan. 25-31, 2011.

The Koror-Manila and Manila-Koror stays the same. The changes are the Philippine Airlines trip to Sydney on Jan. 23 at 9:00 pm; the Sydney-Auckland flight via Qantas on Jan. 24 at 11:45-4:50 pm.

Hernandez and Cabunagan will be back on Feb. 01 from Auckland to Sydney and Sydney to Manila via Qantas.

With this new itinerary, the two will not miss the first round.

Source: Chessmate by Roberto Hernandez
             Tia Belau Newspaper
             Pages 12-13
             Volume 19 Issue 50
             December 13-19, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment