Thursday, May 17, 2012

(164) MUSIC AND ME (May 17, 2012) MY LUCKY CHARM




5 YEARS AND OLDER
I don't teach kids younger than 5 years old. I've tried that to a 4-year old Japanese boy in Bahrain in 1988 and the results was disappointing. I've tried it again with Xin Fue Sui and same result. I've stopped for a few months and when she reached 5 years, I can see a potential songwriter, singer and musician in the making.
                                                                                        (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)




                      MY LUCKY CHARM

A lot of times when I’ve got lucky to get bigger tips in 2007-2009, Edgar Cayanan is always around. It seems like he’s my lucky charm in as far as tip is concern.

When I’ve got $100.00 tip from the ‘crying’ lone Japanese guy in March 27, 2008, Edgar was around. He can’t resist seeing how much that guy has given me. The next day, he made a joke to me that the Japanese guy had made a mistake in giving me that amount.

The next day again, the guy gave me another $100.00 again. Edgar was around then again.

On New Year’s Day, 2010, a Filipino guy gave him $10.00 and I’ve got $20.00.

About 3 years ago, he did a good job with a Japanese couple and they gave Edgar $10.00 tip and $10.00 also to me after requesting a Japanese song… BUT … they gave me another $10.00 after requesting another Japanese song and Edgar is not around at that time. He’s off duty already.

When Edgar resigned as Assistant Restaurant Manager of Palau Royal Resort in 2009, he was rehired a few months later as Assistant Food and Beverage Manager to replace F & B Manager Allan Tuppil.

Two days before his return to PRR, I’m playing piano at about 8:00 pm when a lone, beautiful Japanese lady with video camera saw me playing “Itoshino Ellie”without looking at the notes or lyrics of the song. When she is still doing the video, I sang the last stanza, chorus and coda of the song because I memorized that song long time ago. It’s the most popular Japanese song in my repertoire.

A Palauan guy from a function in the wooden area asked me for a song book. He saw the Palauan song “Odesangel” in there and he sang it. The Japanese lady got intrigue that I’m singing Palauan song without looking at the song book while a Palauan guy sings a Palauan song looking at the lyrics.

On the eve of Edgar’s return to PRR, that lady listened to my music at Breeze Bar where I’m using a keyboard. I lend her my Japanese songbook and she’s following my playing just by looking at the songbook without singing it. At 11:00 pm, I have finished playing and sit beside her at the bar. I showed her all my other songbooks, mostly American songs.

She offered me a drink but I politely declined. She specifically likes “Beauty and the Beast” by Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson. It’s a duet song and I explained to her that it’s also difficult to play and I have to look at the chords of that song to be able to play it correctly.

She likes also the Japanese song “Koi Shikute”. I have memorized the chorus part of that song. We have a good time for an hour talking about music. She asked the bartender to take a picture of us. She lays her head on my shoulder during the pictorial.

Before going back to her room, she gave me $50.00 tip. I asked her, “Who are with you when you come to Palau?” and she said she’s with her parents, who are now sleeping. She gave also more than $15.00 tip to the waitress (Karen) and bartender. Karen said we split the tip but I said, “Never mind. She gave me $50.00 already.”

There are 3 Japanese (a couple and a guy) having expensive dinner at the table in front of the piano (right side). They are having lobster as main course. Edgar told me they are rich Japanese.

When I start playing Japanese songs, they appreciate it especially the lady. When I played “Itoshino Ellie”, she gave me $50.00 and said, “I like “Itoshino Ellie”because my name is Ellie… Eriko.”

They have enjoyed the night and we have picture taking at the piano. The lady gets so close to me that Edgar said later that she’s not wearing a bra. They danced also when I played “Chako No Kaigan Monogatari”. In the second pictorial before they leave, I keep a distance with her. I might lose my $50.00 tip because of jealousy.

The next day, they have dinner again at the same table. Before going home to Japan, the husband gave me $10.00 tip. So, he’s not jealous.

On April 03, 2009, I’ve got $50.00 tip from Palau President Johnson Toribiong, $5.00 from First Lady Valeria Toribiong and $10.00 from 2 Palauan ladies who requested “Beyond The Reef”. Edgar is also around during that event. The complete story of this will be published later… (My Music Experience With Palau Presidents).

So, most of the time that I’m getting good amount of tips, Edgar is always around, MY LUCKY CHARM!

EVEN IN THIS SITUATION… Six Europeans sat in front of the piano, at the left side this time. Edgar told me, “Kuya (older brother), play Spanish songs for them.” For more than an hour, I played all the Spanish songs I know, 38 of them, and no applause even once.

When they are playing their bill, I played 2 Italian songs (“Volare” and “Granello Di Sabbia”) and they all clapped. THEY ARE ITALIANS, NOT SPANISH!!! One of them gave me $5.00 tip.

EDGAR, NEXT TIME, BE SURE OF THEIR NATIONALITY BEFORE ASKING ME TO PLAY THEIR NATIVE SONGS!

Edgar is now the General Manager of Bhaya Cruise in Vietnam more or less 2 years now. Since then, the biggest amount of tip that I’ve got was $40.00. IS IT BECAUSE MY LUCKY CHARM IS NOT AROUND ANYMORE?


Source: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              Pages 8-9
              Volume 21 Issue 30
              May 17, 2012

                                                                           EDGAR CAYANAN
                                              My Lucky Charm

No comments:

Post a Comment