Monday, April 23, 2012

(129) MUSIC AND ME (April 19, 2012)

MY MUSIC EXPERIENCE WITH AMBASSADOR MAGGIE TIEN AND FAMILY

DURING MY piano performance on the night of March 08, 2009, I’ve got $5.00 tip from a Japanese guest and another $5.00 tip from Taiwanese guests, all in 5 new one dollar bills.

TaiwanAmbassador to Palau Maggie Tien is having dinner with her brother and mom, on a wheelchair attended by a Filipina domestic helper.

After playing Japanese song “Subaru”, her brother came to me and asked if I speak Chinese. I said no. He asked, “What is the title of the last song you’ve just played?” I said it’s a Japanese song “Subaru”. I showed him the lyrics and we sang the chorus part of the song. He noticed also the year – 1980.

Later, he asked again the title of the song I just played. I said, “I Don’t Want To Talk About It” by Rod Stewart.

I played all the Taiwanese songs that I know and they appreciated it with applause.

Before going home, the mother of Ambassador Tien came to me on a wheelchair being push by the Filipina domestic helper. She gave me $20.00 as tip and said, “Very good music.”






At about 8:00 pm during my piano playing on July 18, 2009, Edgar Cayanan, the Assistant Food and Beverage Manager of Palau Royal Resort, asked me if I have received tip already. I said nothing yet. He said, “Probably because of world economic crisis.”

Then later, Arj Berenguer asked me to play “Happy Birthday” song on his signal because one of the guests is celebrating her birthday.

I saw TaiwanAmbassador Maggie Tien sitting on the same table and chair that she sat on that night of March 08, 2009.

The birthday celebrant is her mother, on a wheelchair being push by a different Filipina domestic helper. I remember her as the one who gave me $20.00 on March 8.

Edgar leads the singing and asked me to play it in key of A because most of them singing are male. If most of them singing are female, I play it in Key of E.

It was good singing and the celebrant came to me again before going home and gave me $20.00 tip. She said, “Xie, Xie … ….. …..”. I don’t understand the last words that she said and Ambassador Maggie Tien translated it to me as, “Thank you for playing me the Happy Birthday song.” I asked, “How old is your mother?” She said 88. I proudly said, “My father is 92!” Ambassador Tien was surprised and said, “Please send my regards to him” before leaving.


UNFORTUNATELY, my father passed away 3 months and 6 days later after I said that. God bless his soul.



10 YEARS AND 10 DAYS EARLIER
On June 18, 1995 Roberto Hernandez, his wife Flor and daughter Karen were invited to a birthday party at THIS PLACE. Exactly 10 years and 10 days later, the Palau Royal Resort was inaugurated in June 28, 2005 and THIS PLACE is exactly where the Breeze Bar of PRR was built and Roberto is now playing music there nightly from 9-11 pm except Friday (his day off).
(Photo by Karen Gennibeth M. Hernandez)




Source: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
Tia Belau Newspaper Page 8-9
Volume 21 Issue 22 April 19, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment