Monday, April 2, 2012

(110) AN ITALIAN CHESS TALE (TBN-Jan. 07-14, 20050


On August 01, 2004, an Italian tourist won the one-day blitz chess tourney organized by Knights and Rooks Chess Club at Filco Thrift Mart in Malakal.

Before going back to Italy, Mr. Andrea Buriani and his wife Stefania had dinner at Image Restaurant where Roberto Hernandez played Italian songs for them and discussed Mr. Buriani's experience of playing chess in Italy.

His wife generously offered to send Roberto Hernandez some newer CDs of Italian songs that he received two months later with a letter and email addresses.

Hernandez emailed to thank them and also to inform Mr. Buriani that the next World Chess Olympiad will be held in Torino, Italy in 2006.

THE FOLLOWING IS HIS EMAIL REPLY:
Dear Roberto, Hi! Sorry for the delay of my reply (and for my terrible English writing, of course!), but I had some trouble with my email account. If you may, please send your next mails also to stefania.dalrio@monrigroup.net   stefania_dalrio@ilrestodelcarlino.it
So, I hope to reply a little bit soon!
I'm very glad to know that chess activities are going up and increasing in Palau. I think also that Eddie (Grefiel) could have a very bad time with you. Maybe Palau will have a new rapid champion next year...
Nowadays, Italian chess team is not really strong. I know...yes of course I know Torino. It is in the north of Italy, near France, not to close to Bologna, the city where I live, but really not so far (about 350 kilometers of 200 miles).
Sure, I will go there for one day in 2006 to assist to Olympiads. I really, really hope to see Palau chess team playing Chess Olympics there!
Torino is quite a nice city. If you come here, you will see a typical historical European town. You will also see real Alps snow here, and you will ski in very beautiful places, if you dare!
So, by the way, what is the matter with International Chess Federation (FIDE)? Do you think they will accept soon Palau as independent chess federation?
Obviously, I'm also very glad you have mentioned me in your chess column. I would like a lot to read about it. If you may, please, you could send me by mail the image of the article, or also the simple text.
I'm always really very glad to think about my time in Palau. I had a very good time there, not just for the chess stuff, but mostly because I met nice and gentle people like you and other friends.
I hope to hear soon some Palau news!
Bye bye for now!
Andrea Buriani

On Christmas day, Eddie Grefiel paid a visit to Hernandez in his staff house and discussed chess. Grefiel's early stage in learning chess is quite similar to what was experienced by former world chess champion Robert James Fischer of the United States who subordinated everything for chess.

Grefiel's brother and friends refused to play against him then because he was not good enough for them. Challenged, he stayed in his room for hours studying chess openings and endgames and later, the middle game.

He went out of the room just to eat and resumed his study. After three months, he beat his brother and his friends. There was no turning back. He represented his school to a regional championship which he won.

On January 02, Roberto's 49th birthday, Grefiel visited him again and they played 10-minute blitz games most of which he won. Bong Alipoon came to visit Hernandez' neighbors and played alternately with them until 10:00 pm. He scored only one win  over Grefiel in more that 10 games.

Grefiel's advise to all chess players: (the same as Viktor Korchnoi's and Josh Waltskin's advise)  " STUDY MORE ENDGAMES THAN OPENINGS. "


Source: 
Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
Tia Belau Newspaper 
  January 07-17, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment