Sunday, April 1, 2012

(104) MUSIC AND ME (3rd Issue-Tia Belau)

$300.00 RICHER
     Enny Derbai, left, may pursue a singing career after winning the Chinese Song Singing Contest held at Palasia Hotel on Nov. 02, 2011. Roberto Hernandez, right, accompany her on the keyboard to the songs "Evergreen Mountain" and "Orchid". Both songs have beautiful melodies and fantastic rhythm.                        (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)




CHOOSING THE RIGHT SONG
AND THE RIGHT KEY

SOME PEOPLE say to me, “This song is too high for me.” And I always reply, “There’s no high or low song for you. Know the right key that fits your pitch or voice range.

Some will say also to me, “This song doesn’t fit my style of singing.” It’s true in many senses. That’s why you need to experiment with different kinds of songs. There are millions of songs to choose from.

When I’m just learning to play guitar, I discovered many songs that fits my voice, my key and style. I have an average range of voice so those songs by James Taylor, Jim Croce, John Denver, Billy Joel and other singers with average range of voice fits my style and kinds of songs.

When I’m singing songs of lady singers, I transposed the key 3 steps higher and that’s my range. Rock singers have high range of voice so I often transpose the key 4 or more steps lower.

During the inaugural Chinese Songs Singing Contest held at Palasia Hotel in November 02, 2011, the champion among 9 contestants, Enny Derbai, won the contest because she chose the right songs that fits her voice and style AND… she is the only one who have the guts to sing song number 4 (Lan Hua Cao – Orchid) and 5 (Gao Shan Qing –(Alii) Evergreen Mountain) songs in the list of 5 to choose from.

The other 8 contestants chose 2 songs from song no. 1 (Tian Mi Mi –Sweetly Sweet), no. 2 (Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Zin – The Moon Symbolizes My Heart), and no. 3 (Ye Lai Xiang – Night Jasmine). So it becomes monotonous hearing those same songs sung by 8 contestants.

Prior to the contest’s night, I have practiced twice with 5 of the contestants trying to get their right key, range and style. The other 4 were practiced by different keyboard players. I’m proud to say that the top 3 winners are all among my group with Enny Derbai bagging the first place and $300.00 cash prize followed by the youngest contestant Sheree Madelsar Aulerio from Koror Elementary School ($200.00) and Lesje Tulop of Palau High School ($100.00).

On the day of my 22-day vacation to Philippines (Sept. 27-Oct. 18, 2011), I was given a CD of those 5 Taiwanese songs to listen to and familiarize with its melodies. I have spent dozens of hours listening to those songs repeatedly without keyboard, only guitar. My keyboard has been soaked to floodwaters and can’t be fixed anymore. It’s good that the contest was postponed from Oct. 21 to Nov. 2 that it allows me more time to practice and prepare. Now, 4 popular Taiwanese songs were added to my limited repertoire of Chinese songs.

By the way, Aulerio also received the special award of “Most Courageous” and “Best Dressed” special award was won by Tulop and the other special award that was won by a contestant not in my group was the “Most Entertaining” won by Dildimes Uehara of Palau Community College. They received gifts for winning those awards.

The occasion was attended by a bevy of dignitaries including President Johnson Toribiong, who just came back from France, Bilung Gloria Salii, Counselors Randy Wang and Bill Huang, senators, ministers, delegates and others.

The judges include Palau Ambassador to Germany and the European Union (EU) Carlos Salii, who sang a special number song “Corina, Corina”, First Lady Valeria Toribiong, Taiwan Ambassador Maggie Tien, who also sung a Taiwanese song with“Taipei” in its title, and Kevin Lim.

LESJE TULOP, left, won the "Best Dressed" and 2nd place ($200.00) in the Chinese Song Singing Contest with her rendition of 2 Taiwanese songs accopanied on the keyboard by Roberto Hernandez, right.
The youngest among 9 contestants Sheree Madelsar Aulerio, left, with Roberto Hernandez after the awarding. Sheree also won "Most Couregeous" award and 3rd place ($100.00) for her effort.
Family of Lesje Tulop who attended the awarding ceremony. The crowd is allowed to vote for the awards --"Most Courageous", "Most Entertaining" and "Best Dressed" contestants.
Proud winner of Chinese Song Singing Contest Enny Derbai shows his plaque and envelope with $300.00 cash prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment