Tuesday, May 30, 2017

(1380) MUSIC AND ME (April 07, 2017) PLAYING PIANO 7 HOURS STRAIGHT!

BEVERLY HILLS DELI AT GREENBELT DRIVE
        Before coming to Palau in Feb. 04, 1992, I used to play piano in this restaurant alternating with a colleague Francis Viologo. The place is within the perimeter of Greenbelt Shopping Complex where The Plaza Restaurant, The Plaza Cafe and Aristocrat Restaurant are located.

    PLAYING PIANO 7 HOURS STRAIGHT!

 
In 1984, The Plaza Restaurant, where I’ve worked as in-house artist/waiter/pianist for 15 years, has been relocated to the Greenbelt Area, same city of Makati. Its mother company, The Aristrocat, has been built up besides the building, just across the Greenbelt Shopping Center, while the Aling Asiang Specialty Restaurant was positioned in the center of The Plaza building facing the huge parking area where the Battle of the Bands was held a few years later.

                I’ve resumed working at Plaza Café, the annexed restaurant of The Aristocrat, as waiter. This was a couple of years later after coming back from Japan for a 6-month performance with The First Quarter Band in Kagoshima City (Feb. 04-Sept. 28, 1982).
                The twin pianists at Aling Asiang, Edwin and Edward, were alternating in playing at Aling Asiang using the very good Yamaha Baby Grand Piano. Then there are times when Edward is playing the upright piano at The Plaza Café. Edwin plays better than Edward that’s why he is playing now solely at Aling Asiang. I remember there is a customer who asked the Supervisor Eddie Faustino, why Edward plays that way, many times out of timing. One guy guest requested to him the song “Windmills of Your Mind” and he is lost in the middle of the song. I knew that song better than him.
                A few months later, Edward didn’t play anymore at The Plaza Café while Edwin still plays at Aling Asiang. My wife Flor conceived our first child during this period while she is working at SM Shoemart in Cubao, Quezon City. I used to drop her at the bus stop in Buendia Avenue using the bicycle that was given to me by Masato and Kimiko Iwagawa in Japan. I’m using that bike also in going to work, which is just less than a kilometer away from our rented room.
                During this time also that I’ve organized the first chess tournament among employees of The Plaza Café and Aristocrat Restaurant, where I am the provider of chess equipments, one mechanical chess clock and sponsor of the wooden chess trophies for the top 4 finishers in the shape of King for champion, Queen for 2nd place, Rook for 3rd place and Knight or Bishop for 4th place.
                While working as waiter, I used to play the piano if I don’t have guests in my area of duty. I remember on Sunday lunch time that I’m serving the family of Filipino actress, Caridad Sanchez, and when they are finished with their meal, I started to play the upright piano. She likes my selection of songs and gave me 20.00 pesos tip!
                The management gave me full time job now as pianist inside The Plaza Café and sometimes they will put the piano outside the terrace of both Plaza Café and Aristocrat if there is an occasion like what happened in the eve of Valentine’s Day 1984.
                I will be playing from 5pm-12midnight on this romantic day for Filipinos. I ate my dinner at 4pm and will eat supper after 12midnight. The terrace and inside of Plaza Café are half full at 5pm. Most tables at set for couples. At 6pm, the place is full with many couples waiting at the door for tables to be vacated to get seated, as I continue to play without break. My usual routine in playing piano is—after a song, there is only about 5 seconds interval to start the next one.
                At past 9pm, there are 2 ladies enjoying my music. One of them is flirting with me. When I played the song “Hello” by Lionel Richie, she is singing with the song and she emphasizes on the last 3 words of the song—“And let me start by saying “I Love You”.
                As I am about to take a break at 10pm, the family of 5 who used to give me big tips arrive! I sat down again at the piano and finished my 7-hour playing without a break. As usual, I’ve got tips again from that family. My wife dropped by there from work with my friend Fernando Vergara at past 10pm.


Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               December 29, 2002--May 10, 2017

               Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
               The Beginning of Chess in Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               Soon to be published as a book

               Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
               Tia Belau Newspaper
               March 15, 2012--April 18, 2013
               http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
               April 25, 2013--May 10, 2017

               The History of Chess in Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               June 09, 2002--May 10, 2017   
               

No comments:

Post a Comment