Tuesday, May 30, 2017

(1370) MUSIC AND ME (March 09, 2017) GENEROUS RUSSIANS AND FRIENDLY JAPANESE GUESTS




     GENEROUS RUSSIANS AND FRIENDLY
                JAPANESE GUESTS



On Friday, Feb. 24, 2017, we have very few guests at Breeze Bar of Palau Royal Resort. Then comes 4 Japanese and I started to play Japanese songs. But one of the ladies requested "Honesty" by Billy Joel. I sang it and then continue to play Japanese songs and American songs alternately. While they are enjoying the music, 3 Russians came and saw a good ambience and the shortest guy sang "Michelle" by The Beatles. He said his daughter's name is Michelle. Then they sit at a table next to the 4 Japanese. And I played the Russian song (American version-Those Were The Days) and all of them sing with me. The Japanese lady in the middle sang "Oribia O Kikinagara" while the other 2 Jap. guys are talking to the Russians, who don't understand the word "vacation" because of his accent. Me, Sharon Joy Malubay (cashier) and Miro, the bartender are laughing when they finally understand what he said--"Are you on vacation?" 





At 11:00pm, I stop playing and go to their table and gave them all (6) my business card. When I talk to the Russians, they all speak English very well so I don't have problems telling them that I've been to Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia in 2010, Istanbul, Turkey in 2012, Norway in 2014 and lately last year in Baku, Azerbaijan in 2016 for World Chess Olympiads. The Russian guy at right said, "I'm afraid to play chess with you." Later he said he is from Kazan, the middle part of Russia where there is Asian side and Europe side. Kazan in mentioned in my article/post “What Did We Do to Wesley So”.

 http://palau-chess.blogspot.com/2014/10/what-did-we-do-to-wesley-so.html

They asked if I play music there every night and I said yes. They will be back tomorrow. Before saying goodbye to 7 of them, I asked Miro to take a picture of us, first to the Japanese group, where one of the ladies is sleeping at the far end table, and then to the Russians. I told them that I will feature those photos in FB and Tia Belau newspaper someday. While on my way to Dormitory, the sleeping lady is behind me to go to her room. I stop and give her my card and said I gave to her companions my card while she is sleeping.

The next day, the Russians came back while the Japanese have left already for Japan. At 11:00pm, I told to the Russian guys that I will be having my day off on Sunday, Feb. 26 and they said, "See you on Monday." They didn't come on Monday, but on Tuesday, they come while I'm about to post these photos and I sang for them upon their request Yesterday, Imagine, Let It Be and the guy in the middle requested Hotel California, which he sang with me.
 After that song, I come to them and said that it is last 2 songs. The guy in the middle, to my surprise, gave me $100.00 tip! And he requested another song "Killing me softly with his song" by Roberta Flack. We sang it together. The last song, they said, is whatever I would like to play/sing. I sing "Stand by Me" and said goodbye to them.




Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              December 29, 2002--April 20, 2017

              Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
              The Beginning of Chess in Palau
              By Roberto Hernandez
              Soon to be published as a book
        
              Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              March 15, 2012--April 18, 2013
              http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
              April 25, 2013 -- April 20, 2017

              The History of Chess in Palau 
              By Roberto Hernandez
              June 09, 2002 -- April 20, 2017   

No comments:

Post a Comment