Tuesday, December 29, 2015

(1144) MUSIC AND ME (Dec. 10, 2015) Mr. & Mrs. Charles Kao From HongKong Visit Palau; Enjoyed Music at PRR


MR. CHARLES KAO SANG "HE'LL HAVE TO GO" AND "FOR THE GOOD TIMES"
     Hajimete (first time) in Palau, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kao from Hong Kong, enjoyed their evening at Palau Royal Resort on Dec. 10, 2015 with Roberto's accompanying music to the tune of He'll Have To Go and For The Good Times.
                                  (Photo by Roberto Hernandez) 

      MR. AND MRS. CHARLES KAO FROM
            HONG KONG VISIT PALAU;
             ENJOYED MUSIC AT PRR 




On Dec. 09, 2015, there’s a couple from Hong Kong at Breeze Bar of Palau Royal Resort. They sat far away from keyboard and don’t bother whatever songs I’m playing. They stay for just 30 minutes and left.
            The next day, Dec. 10, they are late guests at Waves Restaurant of PRR. There’s not much guests at that time so Mark, the buffet man, sang a song—Goodbye Girl by David Gates (of Bread). Since there is no mike, I played the song also instrumental to augment the sound/volume.
            I also played “He’ll Have To Go” prior to Goodbye Girl. The guy from Hong Kong came to me and said, “You should not play the piano that loud because it overshadowed the voice of the singer. I heard you played the song “He’ll have To Go”, can I sing it and give me the lyrics?”
            I took the green notebook/songbook and he sang it with instruction that I must lower the volume of the piano. I memorized that song already long time ago so I also harmonized with him while he is singing. It’s a wonderful blending of voices with the right volume of piano and voices.
            I saw our General Manager (GM) Masayuki Kawaguchi looking at us. He likes the idea of guests enjoying music through singing a couple of songs. When the first song was finished, he come to us while the guy is requesting another song –“For The Good Times” by Kris Kristofferson.
            While getting the blue notebook/songbook, I introduced to the guy our GM. The guy from Hong Kong called his wife and they had a very enjoyable conversation as the guy is signaling the “money” sign as “payment” for him for being a “guest singer.”
            Their conversation became more interesting when GM mentioned to them that he worked in Hong Kong for many years.
            When the guy sang the song “For The Good Times”, I harmonized also till the last part of the song. I know the song for about 30 years and it’s one of the songs that when I teach to my adult students, I can easily adapt to any chords.
GM was impressed with the quality of the voice of the guy even in low volume.
He gave the guy his business card and so do I as well.
            At 9pm, before going to Breeze Bar to play for another 2 hours of keyboard music, I approached them and have a photo taken. I mentioned to them that I’m writing chess articles in Tia Belau Newspaper for almost 13 years and that our photo will be published in the website at my card. I said I’m doing it to many PRR guests that I feature them and that it’s important that I know the names of those people so that they may search for it for a unique souvenir. Upon hearing that, the guy asks for a piece of paper to write their names on. He said he ran out of business card and he wrote “Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kao from Hong Kong”.
            I looked for extra copy of Tia Belau to give to him and I’ve got the Nov. 30, 2015 issue with title “PAX DEALT CYRIL HIS FIRST LOSS”.








Sources: Music and Me 
             By Roberto Hernandez
             Tia Belau Newspaper
             March 15, 2012 -- April 2013
             http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
             April 2013--December 10, 2015

            Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
            The Beginning of Chess in Palau
            By Roberto Hernandez
            June 09, 2002 -- December 10, 2015
            To be published as a book in the future 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment