Tuesday, February 24, 2015

(887) MUSIC AND ME (Jan. 22, 2015) THE MAGIC AND APPEAL OF ROBERTO'S CARD TO YOUNG JAPANESE COUPLE








BETTER LATE THAN NEVER
     This young Japanese couple came at Breeze Bar of Palau Royal Resort at 11:00 pm, the closing time of Roberto Hernandez' entertainment. But they still have a memorable conversation for 45 minutes. At right, stared for 20 minutes at Roberto's card while his wife, left, enjoyed the stories mostly about guests' requested songs to Roberto in the last 33 years.
                               (Photo by Roberto Hernandez) 


  THE MAGIC AND APPEAL OF ROBERTO'S
    CARD TO YOUNG JAPANESE COUPLE

AT 11:00 PM of Tuesday, January 13, 2015, Roberto has just finished playing the last song for the night when a young Japanese couple sit at the table in front of the keyboard.

After the song, Roberto announced in Japanese -- "Kyo no piano to uta wa saigo made. Doumo arigato gozaimasu." Which means "the piano and singing is over for today, thank you very much." I memorized these sentences because when we were in Japan (Kagoshima City) in April 04-Sept. 28, 1982, our singer Jane Ramas used to say these Japanese words after every set we played-- 5 times a day.
       First Quarter Band- Hayashida Hotel Kagoshima City
                                  April 04 - Sept. 28, 1982
From left to right -- Roberto Hernandez, keyboard, vocals; Matt - bass guitar, vocals; Toto -drums; Jane Ramas -singer; Frank Ganalon -lead guitar, vocals.
                                             (Photo by Frank Ganalon)


It's okay for the couple but I saw and feel it that I need to talk to them as they have nothing to do from 11pm onwards.

I started to talk to them about my working hours --in Japanese! --Shigoto wa sitsi ji kara, kyu ji made desu, resutoran-piano (and pointed at the Waves Restaurant), to kyu ji kara juichi ji made desu koko. Okyakusamu nemoi.  Which means --I work from 7-9pm at Waves Restaurant using a piano and from 9-11pm here only because the guests are sleeping already at that time. 

They ordered just one round of drinks. A few minutes within our conversation, I gave them my card. The guy, is looking at it like it's a book and it took him about 20 minutes staring at it. Maybe he's figuring what those means as 90% are written in English and the others written in Japanese and Russian.



  


The popular "Music Experience of Roberto Hernandez" is also included in the conversation as usual:
  
A PIANO WITH A VIEW
     Roberto Hernandez plays piano at Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort from 6:00-9:00 pm every night except Friday (his day off). From 9:00-11:00 pm, he plays keyboard at Breeze Bar, about 30 meters from Waves Restaurant.
                                                                                                                                                           (Photo by: Jaime Guevarra)


         MUSIC EXPERIENCE OF ROBERTO HERNANDEZ
                                          (THE CRYING OLD JAPANESE GUY)


BEFORE CHRISTMAS 2007, the Queen of Koror, Palau Bilung Gloria Salii, her husband Carlos and daughter Uroi had dinner at Waves Restaurant. They gave me $10.00 tip and a glass of red wine.

Before they go home, I talked to Bilung and said, “I would like to give you a Christmas present. I will tune your piano for free before the end of this year.”

I became very busy and haven’t done my promise.

On her birthday, January 05, 2008, they had dinner again at Waves Restaurant with 3 other guests. I played all their favorite songs. She gave me $10.00 tip, a glass of red wine and a slice of her birthday cake.

After three weeks, they had another dinner at Waves and after giving me $5.00 tip this time, I asked for her telephone number at home so that I can set the date of tuning their piano. She said 488-6216.

On March 19, 2008 (Wednesday), I saw her at the entrance of Surangel’s Department Store. I said I will call her on Tuesday (March 25) and will tune their piano on Wednesday (March 26) which I did. After tuning their piano for 2 hours, she is ready to issue me a check but I said I promise to tune it for free as Christmas present. She gave me bananas instead!

The next day, God gave me more that I expected.

 While halfway on my piano playing at Waves Restaurant, a lone, old Japanese guy sits at a table about 7 meters from the piano. Ten minutes later, I started to play the Japanese song “Kawa No Nagareno Yo Ni”. In the middle of that song, I saw him get something from his front pocket- it’s a handkerchief! He is crying and was carried away by my expressive playing.

The two waitresses Maricar Baules and Maricel Carlos saw him crying and asked why. He pointed at me and I played with more expression. Goosebumps are all over my arms and body which I rarely feel when playing with much expression. I followed it up with another Japanese song “Subaru”. He cried more. The handkerchief is all wet!

When I played the song "Kou Jou No Tsuki", he pointed at the sky as the song is about moon. Tsuki is Japanese word for moon.

Fifteen minutes later, he gave me tip. I put it on the piano music stand. Edgar Cayanan, the Assistant Food & Beverage Manager said, “Kuya”, (Older brother) “I don’t think that’s the color of a $5.00 bill.” He checked the tip and said “It is a hundred dollar!” I just continue to play and ignore him as I don’t look at the amount of tip I get until the giver has left.

Edgar told about it to Maricar and Maricel. The two also checked the tip and said. “It’s really $100.00! Can we have some?”

 When the generous man left, a Japanese couple sat at the same table where he sat. The guy requested 3 Japanese songs (Goodbye My Love, Itoshino Elly and the third one, I forgot). I was able to play all those 3 songs and he gave me $1.00 tip!

 Philippine Ambassador to Palau Ramoncito Marino, the biggest supporter of chess in Palau, and his wife Issa were having dinner at that time with an old Japanese lady guest. When he sat down at the piano to play a couple of songs, that’s the only time I look at the tip- it’s really $100.00. I said to the Ambassador, “Look, sir, a Japanese guy gave me $100.00 tip without requesting and another guy who requested 3 songs gave me $1.00”.

The next day, Friday, Edgar said that the man who gave me $100.00 tip last night said he made a mistake in giving me that amount. I said, “It is okay, I haven't spend it yet and when he comes back, I’ll give him back the $100.00 and it’s up to him to decide how much he really wants to give me.”

On Saturday evening, he comes back. While having dinner at the same table, I played all the other Japanese songs that I didn’t play on that Thursday night. When I play the 2 songs that made him cry, he didn’t cry anymore.

 After his dinner, he comes to me with Cathy (Chinese waitress) by his side. He said, “Do you know the guy who plays piano in the cruise by the name of Norman?” I said, “No. Does he play Japanese songs also?” He said yes but only a few. Then he gave me tip again and I put it in my polo shirt pocket. And he left for Japan. Maricel saw that he gave me again and asked how much. I looked at it and it’s another $100.00!

He didn’t make a mistake. Edgar is just kidding me and maybe jealous.


Source: Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
             The Beginning of Chess in Palau
             By Roberto Hernandez
             December 2007
             To be published as a book in the future 
 
The couple is going back to Japan that night. Because of their enjoyment, they will be back again to Palau. 

Breeze Bar is closed at 12:00 midnight. At 1145, Muning, the cashier, asked Roberto if he had some more things to bring in the store room.

The keyboard and some stuff are not yet secured. When the Japanese couple heard it, that's the time that they go back to their room for the early morning chartered flight.

Although no tips from them, Roberto is very happy with new friendship. He asked them to check the Palau Chess Federation website http://palau-chess.blogspot.com 

ROBERTO PROMISED THEM TO BE FEATURED HERE, AND HERE IT IS!


Source: Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
            The Beginning of Chess in Palau
            By Roberto Hernandez
            December 2007 - February 2015
            To be published as a book in the future

          

1 comment: