Monday, February 16, 2015

(881) MUSIC AND ME (Dec. 25, 2014) YOUNG JAPANESE COUPLE ON CHRISTMAS EVE 2014

IN AND OUT OF WAVES RESTAURANT
    The Japanese guy at left and his partner are dining at the terrace of Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort. The guy requested a lot of songs and hears it 50% only because they are outside. He gave Roberto $5.00 tip and have a souvenir photo before going back to their room. As usual, Roberto forgot to ask their names.
                                      (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)


         YOUNG JAPANESE COUPLE
          ON CHRISTMAS EVE 2014

RARELY did I have guests that enjoy my music if they are sitting and dining at the terrace of Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort.

It happens on Christmas eve of 2014 that a young Japanese honeymooners are having dinner outside Waves Restaurant. They are getting their food from buffet and every time the guy gets his food, he will stop by me with a request, mostly Beatles songs.

Let It Be, Imagine, some songs by Billy Joel (Honesty, Just The Way You Are) and Desperado by Eagles.

He can hear the songs fully if he is inside because after the glass window close, the piano sound outside is minimal. He hears his requests only about 50% of the time.

While playing one of his requested songs, he gave me $5.00 tip as I have played all his requests even without looking at the song books.

Before going home, we have picture taken at the piano. As usual, I forgot to ask for their names.

Tua Tmetchul, one of the very few people in Palau that owns a grand piano in her house, used to request "Annie's Song" by John Denver to me.

Early in 2014, she had a visitor and they sit also outside of Waves Restaurant. When she requested "Annie's Song" again, I asked a waitress to open the glass window for 5 minutes so that she can hear it. THE IDEA WORKS! She enjoys the piano instrumental of "Annie's Song" even though she is 40 feet away from the piano.

Before going to Breeze Bar for another 2 hours performance using a keyboard this time, I talked to them for a few minutes. I said to her that I asked a waitress to open the glass door for 5 minutes so that she can hear it more clearly. She appreciates the idea and gave me $3.00 tip.

I taught her son Ngiraingas once piano lesson at their I Love Music School after tuning 2 of their pianos at the school.

One of the piano is very old and was tuned 12 years ago! Ngirai (his nickname) told me that they are about to throw that piano away (made is USA -New York) because it's too old and many keys are not functioning.

I spent 5 hours fixing that old piano. Those keys that don't go back to its original space have to be pressed hard for more than a thousand times to put it to normal function. I sprayed the wood and metal parts with DWD40 before pressing it hard again and again and again....

When it's finished, I like it more than the new one (Yamaha) that I tuned for only 2 hours. I charged Ngirai $150.00 for tuning and fixing the old one and only $50.00 for tuning the newer one.

Before Christmas of 2013, Ngirai invited me for a lunch at the school and played some Christmas songs for her mom Tua and some guests, mostly employees. 

I used that fixed old piano when I play and sing "Annie's Song" for Tua. She likes it very much! I told her that this old piano now is my 'creation' and that I put 'life' in it again.

Ngirai paid me $20.00 for an hour of entertainment and invited me again on Christmas 2013 for lunch and music at the same place and time.

I have a music session with my Japanese student Yoshiharu Kurata at that date and time and Ngirai invited both of us to do the music session there with his invited Argentinian and American musicians and singers.

WHAT HAPPENED IN THERE IS ANOTHER STORY....






          
ARGENTINA, PALAU, PHILIPPINES, JAPAN, AND USA TALENTS
     Gonzalo of Argentina plays flute with Palauan music teacher Rmeriang Tmetchul after the saxophone, flute, ocarina, keyboard and vocal performances of Roberto Hernandez and Yoshiharu Kurata.
     The 2 acoustic pianos at the back were tuned and fixed by Roberto this year. The old one on the left is a very old piano. Ma'am Tua Tmetchul told Roberto that she is about to throw it away.
     After Roberto fixed it in 5 hours, it looks like "it came from the dead".







Ngirai Tmetchul, left, treat the performers and audience for lunch at SuriyoThai restaurant nearby. The private performances were arranged by Ngirai initially to Roberto to play on Christmas day (Wed) from 4-6pm as Roberto is working at 7-11pm.


The other angle of performance by Gonzalo and Rmeriang, who prefers to use Roberto's keyboard (Yamaha DGX 220 Portable Grand -76 keys). The problem is the sustain pedal that keeps moving because there's no carpet on the floor.

Instead of Christmas day, Roberto was contacted again by Ngirai to perform some Christmas songs at the I Love Music school at the 2nd floor of PDC Building.
Ma'am Tua Tmetchul, Ngirai and 2 Filipino staff were the only guests.
   Roberto played "White Christmas", sung "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon. When Rmeriang arrived, he played "Merry Christmas, Darling" by Carpenters. She asked for the title of the song. It sounds familiar to her but don't know the title.


 
Gonzalo played the classical version of "Silent Night" and "Oh Holy Night".
It's very nice to hear a different version of those songs played beautifully by the duo. The problem again is the moving sustain pedal. Roberto get a door rug and put it under the sustain pedal. It works!  
























Source: Music and Me
           By Roberto Hernandez
           December 2013  
   

  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment