Thursday, December 5, 2013

(658) WHO STOLE MY WIFE'S REMOTE CONTROL?


JOEL BROKE THE BROKEN REMOTE CONTROL
     Palau Royal Resort Cafeteria Chief Cook Joel Gabris, left, broke the old and dysfunctional remote control of PRR. He's watching here the official game of Mohammad Manik Hossain,back view vs. Luciano Sibayan. Sitting while watching are Paquito 'Pax' Suringa, Jr. and Ferdinand Gutierrez, who left for Philippines for good. Standing 2nd from left are Jordan Santos and Dan Roldan.                                                               (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)


             WHO STOLE MY WIFE'S 
                 REMOTE CONTROL?  


Mr. Isao Takahashi
General Manager
Palau Royal Resort                                        WHO STOLE MY WIFE’S REMOTE CONTROL?

Dear Sir,
                On Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at about 5:00 pm, I’m on a break and while entering the Dorm 1 Lounge, I heard the loud volume of TV on Channel 20 (The Filipino Channel). I saw Cafeteria Chief Cook Joel Gabris, on a break, sleeping on the sofa and nobody is watching TV. I get my wife’s remote control on top of refrigerator and change the channel to ESPN to check on sports news. I borrowed that remote control from my wife in 2008. Then I go to rest room for a few minutes.
                When I come back, Joel is awake and somebody used my wife’s remote control to put the channel back to TFC. It’s okay for me and then I took my dinner.
                The next day, I am looking for the remote and I can’t find it. I made a sign “01-11-2012 PLEASE RETURN MY WIFE’S REMOTE CONTROL -- ROBERT”    and post it at the freezer door of the refrigerator.  Then I talk to Rey Alenain to ask if somebody knows who took my wife’s remote to please return it to me.
After finishing my job at Breeze Bar at 11:00 pm, I found out that somebody took away my posted sign. I look at the trash bin and found this broken remote control. I’m expecting a positive result and this is what I’ve got. I’m sure this is not my wife’s remote because there is an extra one that is exactly the same remote that is out of order at Dorm 1. It doesn’t have a cover for batteries. And it is property of PRR.
According to PRR Employee Handbook on Page 25 #6, this act is subject to written warning, a final warning and suspension from duty without pay for a period not to exceed 14 days or instant dismissal. It states: “Malicious damage to Hotel or guest property.”
                Four days later, I’ve found out who broke the PRR remote control.  It’s Joel Gabris. Rey said to him, “Why did you break it?  It’s not working but it can still be fixed.”
                These are my thoughts of why he/she/they will steal or “hide” or “keep” it:  During the last 4 months, the TV at Dorm 1 is glued to Channel 20 (TFC) 99% of the time from early morning to 2:00 am. The 1% is tune in at ESPN on Monday morning for me to watch American Football (NFL). I make it sure that before I tune in at ESPN, nobody is watching TFC anymore because there is a sign at the cabinet of the TV that says “We all know that everyone likes to watch sports but please don’t change the channel when somebody is watching.”
                Most of the time I haven’t finished watching the whole game and before taking my lunch, I’ll switch it back to TFC. After one hour, I’ll ask their permission to look for the score of the game for about 15 seconds. If the score is lopsided, I’ll tune it back to TFC. If the score is very close, I’ll check the final score on the internet so that they can watch “Showtime” and “Happy, Yipee, Yehey”.  In the evening, I watch only the late night news at TFC from 1:00-1:30 am after they finished watching 7 or 8 Filipino soap operas or TV mini- series.
                Nobody is watching educational channels anymore (Discovery, National Geographic, etc.), which is bad for the brain and not expanding their knowledge. The PRR employees of the year 2007, 2008 and 2009 are more concern of learning more by watching other channels than TFC.
                When the remote was stolen, I’m thinking “why do they have to deny me of my right to watch at least 1% when they can watch it 99% of the time?” They want to “control” my 1% viewing by stealing/hiding/keeping my wife’s remote control.
                I thought of an idea of how they will return my wife’s remote control so I bought on January 12 (Thursday) a new STB Universal Remote Control at Palau National Communication Corporation (PNCC) for $10.00 with Receipt No. KBMKK1011220120100026. My plan is to watch the NFL game on early Monday morning and stay glued on TV till 1:00 pm so that they can’t watch TFC. And when I’m finish, I will not put it back to TFC and I’ll let them use the stolen remote. Of course they will use the stolen one when I’m away but I’ll keep on doing it every day till I get it back.
                Lately, my wife’s remote control, I think, has been misplaced or lost so they have to ask me to put it back to TFC because I switched it to ESPN early in the morning.
More than one year later, they are using the stolen remote again.
                I didn’t give this letter to GM Takahashi because he’s leaving for China and just keep to myself this injustice to me. Not anymore! With a very good and fair new GM, I hope to get some fair results.

Roberto Hernandez

  


Source: Chess And Music (Perfect Combination)
             The Beginning of Chess In Palau
             By Roberto Hernandez
             December 2013
             

No comments:

Post a Comment