Thursday, December 12, 2013

(661) MUSIC AND ME (Dec. 05, 2013) TAIWANESE IN PINK

TAIWANESE PROPOSAL
     The Taiwanese guy, 2nd from right, proposes to the Taiwanese lady at right. To make it memorable, the other Taiwanese guy requested Roberto to play "Without You". Instead of playing it only, Roberto sang the song because he knows the lyrics of that song. WHAT HAPPENED NEXT IS UNFORGETTABLE!
                                                    (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)


                  TAIWANESE IN PINK 

IT WAS a very busy Thanksgiving Day for me, Nov. 28, 2013. After breakfast with my wife at 10am, I proceed to Airai State to teach Mr. Kurata at 11:30-12:30pm. 
 
I dropped by first to the store where Mohammad Manik Hossain is tending in the morning and work at Shell KB Gas Station in the afternoon.

We talked mostly about chess and when it's 11:25, I have to leave and he will give me a Diet Coke and a bunch of bananas for a dollar.

When I come at Mr. Kurata's rented house, nobody there. I knock a lot of times and call his cellphone number to check where he is. He didn't answer.

I waited at the parking area for 30 minutes while cleaning the carpets of the car. I go back to Palau Royal Resort and have a nice turkey Thanksgiving Lunch at Cafeteria.

Prepared for Moded's first solo piano recital at their residence. I brought the Yamaha guitar that James gave me last year.





It was a very nice recital/reunion of invited family members of about 20 people. Former President Tomas Remengesau, Sr., Mrs. Marylin Whipps, the family of new President of Palau Chess Federation Eric Ksau Whipps, his wife Joy Flores and son Ksau Anthony and daughter; Casmere Remengesau and some more.

Joy talked to me about having their piano tuned and maybe some lessons to her daughter by me.

I joined Moded in playing the 2nd half of "When The Saints Go Marching In". Ultei played piano while Moded played the recorder to the song "Amazing Grace". Guitar by Ultei to the song "He's Got The Whole World In His Hand". I sang in the last 2 songs--"How Much Is That Doggie In The Window" and "Puff The Magic Dragon".

Moded gave me a very nice, healthy dessert of fresh strawberry, cereals and berries knowing that I'm diabetic.

Took a 2-hour nap before another special Thanksgiving Dinner at Cafeteria. When I play piano at Waves Restaurant for 2 hours, there are many guests (Japanese, Taiwanese, Americans, Filipinos and Palauans, including former Senator Alfonso Diaz).

There is also a long table of Americans to my right. When I saw former Senator Alfonso Diaz with a Filipina, I started playing Palauan songs. 30 minutes later, he comes to me and gave me $5.00 tip and said, "I like your version of instrumental Palauan songs. That's why I come here often."

I thought that I may not have a chance to take a picture of him so I took this shot with the $5.00 bill:

  
    Before going home, an American guy from long table gave me $5.00 tip and minutes later, an American couple from the same table gave me $3.00 tip.

At 9:00 pm, before going to Breeze Bar, I talked to Mr. Diaz to have a photo session with him to replace my photos with former Palau President Johnson Toribiong.





 During their conversation, the recording of at least 10 Palauan instrumental songs by Roberto was renewed. This time, it will not be for sale because it's very easy to copy it. But Mr. Diaz is willing to pay Roberto the same amount as in 2005--($500.00).

THE FOLLOWING IS THE DETAILED VERBAL AGREEMENT ABOUT THIS:

   
AIRA JANE TORRES - MY BEST GIRL STUDENT
     At her young age, she can play "Fallin'" by Teri de Sario, "Love is All That Matters" by Eric Carmen, "Open Arms" by Journey, Lambada, Careless Whisper, "Because" by Dave Clark 5 and more than 30 more difficult songs that even an adult can't play or sing. Among her counterpart, Christian 'Shinji' Otsuka is my best boy student.
                                                                                 (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)





     MY MUSIC EXPERIENCE WITH FORMER
       PRESIDENT TOMMY REMENGESAU


On February 10, 2009, former President and now Senator Tommy Remengesau, Jr., were at Breeze Bar with 3 Palauan guys and a Japanese family of 3, who left earlier.

            I played mostly Palauan songs. They are applauding to my music. At 11:00 pm, I announced last song. While I’m securing my keyboard and cords, Tommy called me. He gave me $5.00 tip and we talked for a while about my 17 years working in Palau and only 4 times that I have taken a vacation. We talked also about my daughter’s (Karen) graduation in March 08, 2009 as nurse. His son, Isechal, was a classmate of Karen, who graduated at Mindzenty High School on May 28, 2004.

            On June 16, 2008, there is a function of Palau Noni Juice at Waves Restaurant. President Tommy Remengesau was the guest speaker and the party had its own entertainment.

 At 9:30, I’m waiting for customers at Breeze Bar. Then, Tommy came by himself still in a light blue suit. He asked me what happened to the proposed recording of my Palauan instrumental songs with Senator Alfonso Diaz. I explained to him that Senator Diaz offered me $500.00 in 2005 to record about 10 Palauan instrumental songs by me in his recording studio using my own keyboard.

Dr. Victor Yano suggested that I should use a grand piano (the one at Airai View Hotel) to make a more classical sound. Senator Diaz said he will talk to Senator Mlib Tmetchul, a close friend of his, about using that piano. But 3 years have gone by and it didn’t materialize.

            While the president is having a drink, the First Lady Debbie and her mother came. I played mostly Palauan songs and they applauded after every song I played. Later, Leilani Reklai joined them.

            At 10:45, I called Assistant F & B Manager Edgar Cayanan about stopping live music at exactly 11:00 pm even though the First Couple are enjoying my music. Edgar said, “To be safe and not to disturb sleeping guests, just announce last 3 songs.”

            The president agreed to my announcement of last 3 songs. I saw him called his bodyguard to get something and when he comes back, he wrote something on a check book. He called me later and while giving me the check, he said, “This is from all of us.”

I said thank you to them and I asked Leilani, “Did you win the Aimilik governorship?” She said she’s crossing her fingers because the counting is still going on and it’s a very close race. The president said, “She won already. That’s why we’re here celebrating.”

            When I go to Dormitory 1 at 11:15, I saw the couple Jiji and Arnie Abad there and that’s the time that I look at the check amount – it’s $20.00. When I cash it the next day, Jiji and Arnie were at the Bank of Hawaii also.

            During my 11-month work as keyboard player at Rose Garden Resort (July 15, 2005- June 23, 2006), President Remengesau gave me tip of $10.00 twice and the last one there was $5.00 on March 16, 2006, the day that he signed the transfer law bill allowing workers to transfer to another company if (1.) The company closed down, (2.) The employer died and 3. The employer goes to jail.

            On November 02, 2000, two days before the Palau presidential election, Vice President then Tommy Remengesau, Jr. and his running mate Senator Allan Seid are having a political party at Image Restaurant where I’ve worked as musician/disc jockey for 13 years. When Senator Seid is about to have a speech, I stopped playing piano and Tommy approached me and said, “Robert, I know that you cannot vote. But maybe you can tell your Palauan friends to vote for me.” And he gave me $20.00.

            When I operate the karaoke at Image Restaurant after playing piano, I always remember the favorite songs of our regular customers. When Tommy sings karaoke, he doesn’t have to tell me what to sing. I know all his favorite karaoke songs like “Imagine” by John Lennon, “She Believes In Me” by Kenny Rogers, Hawaiian songs “Baby Blue” and “Don’t Say Goodbye”, “How Can I Tell Her” by Lobo and even “Let Me Be There” by Olivia Newton-John.

            In 2010 while I’m on my way up to Caroline’s Resort to teach keyboard/guitar to Liam and Gayle Bornovski, I saw Tommy jogging way up to Caroline’s Resort. I stopped for a while and we talk about teaching one of his kid piano.

            It’s just another casual conversation and it didn’t materialize yet. I’m still hoping that it will happen and then I’ll have the rare experience of teaching family members of 2 Palau Presidents (incumbent or former).


Source: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              Pages 8-9
              Volume 21
              Issue 68
             September 27, 2012


AFTER THE PICTORIAL AND TALKING, I PROCEED AT BREEZE BAR. MR. DIAZ SAID THEY WILL PROCEED THERE LATER.

When I started to play keyboard at Breeze Bar at 9:00pm, there is a group of Taiwanese (6) at one table and they're all wearing pink t-shirts.

I played a Taiwanese song and after that, a young Taiwanese guy (with eyeglass) asked me to play "Without You" by Nilsson dedicated to the couple in which the guy has just proposed to her.

Instead of playing it instrumental, I sang the song because I know the lyrics of that song by heart since 1980's.

The couple danced with my song while the guy who requested the song harmonized with me. He can sing the 2nd voice of the song which is not ordinary for a young Taiwanese guy although he struggles with pronunciation.

That guy gave a round of drinks to the other table of Taiwanese guests. One of them, a lady, comes to me and gave me $5.00 tip in 1-dollar bill.

That guy also introduced me to his father and mother and his girlfriend. I said, "your parents are young. I thought they're your brother and sister."

When I play Hotel California, he harmonized with me again and when I playing the instrumental, I let him use the pitch bend to make a really nice distortion electric guitar sound. His girlfriend and the couple enjoyed our "performance".

He gave me tips which I have no time to look how much it is. After securing my stuff, I looked at it in the store room--it's $20.00! Very rare for a young Taiwanese that I get that amount.   

I asked for a group picture with them before going home. They happily posed for 2 shots. This is the second shot:

     


While I'm walking to punch out, I saw them all together near the pool and they have some more "good timing" when 2 of them were pushed to the swimming pool and they all laughed while some guests get disturb by the noise at 11:00 pm.


Source: Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
            The Beginning Of Chess In Palau
            By Roberto Hernandez
            To be published as a book in the future
  
    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment