Thursday, April 11, 2013

(430) MUSIC AND ME (April 04, 2013) While Paying Their Bill

I FORGOT TO ASK THEIR NAMES
This Japanese couple enjoyed my music till closing time. We have some talks about my music experience in Palau. I promised them to feature our photo for this issue. Here it is! Please see the photo in color at http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
Post No. 462 "While Paying Their Bill"
(Photo by Roberto Hernandez)



     WHILE PAYING THEIR BILL




In more than 10 occasions while playing piano at Waves Restaurant and Breeze Bar of Palau Royal Resort, that some customers are already paying their bill and ready to go back to their rooms, and while waiting I will play to them my best songs (usually Japanese).


With that short time of waiting, some of them got hooked by my expressive playing and will give generous tips even being satisfied only for a few minutes.


HERE ARE SOME NOTABLE “GOING HOME BUT STAYED” –


1. In Feb. 09, 2009, I am setting the keyboard at Breeze Bar when an old Japanese couple already paid their bill but when they see me setting the keyboard, they stayed for another 30 minutes. The guy requested “My Way” and “Love Me Tender”. I played some more old Japanese songs and before leaving, they give me $20.00 tip.


2. March 13, 2009 – Same situation, different guests. There’s a group of Japanese from Liao’s room who are paying their bill and while waiting, a lady asked Executive Chef Masaki Horie for me to play“Amazing Grace” and she gave me $5.00. She requested again “Tennessee Waltz”and gave me another $5.00.


3. May 16, 2009 -- A group of Japanese have their dinner at Liao’s room of Palau Royal Resort. While paying their bill, more than half of them surrounded me and requested some Beatles and Japanese songs. Emma, a singer at Discovery Tours, relay to me the requests of others far away. Later, she was able to collect $27.05 from satisfied guests in just a few minutes.


4. May 18, 2009 –American couples are paying their bill and I played popular American songs & got $5.00 tip.


5. March 20, 2011 – A group of Japanese with 5 of them in wheelchair, have dinner at wooden area. After their dinner, they surrounded me and I lend them my song book and played all their requests. Two of them gave me $5.00 each. (For complete story, please refer to http://palau-chess.blogspot.com The no. 280 post entitled “A Letter From A 5-year-old Japanese Girl”).


6. Oct. 28, 2012 –2 Japanese ladies are paying their bill. I played “Oribia O Kikinagara” and some popular Japanese songs and they gave me $10.00 tip.


7. Jan. 08, 2013 – Regular VIP guests Mr. Uchiho and his wife are paying their bill. Mr. Uchiho sat next to me and talk to me in Japanese. I answered in ‘broken’ Japanese and started to play old Japanese songs. He enjoyed my music together with his wife. They sung a couple of old Japanese songs and before going back to Japan that same night, they gave me $20.00.


8. Feb. 2013 – While setting the keyboard at Breeze Bar, a Japanese family thought that it’s closing time and ready to leave. I told them that I will start to play music. There are 5 of them –Grandpa, grandma, their son and daughter-in-law and a boy. Grandpa requested “Unchained Melody”,“Can’t Help Falling In Love”, some Japanese songs and gave me $20.00 tip. They enjoyed the night requesting and listening to my playing and singing popular American and Japanese songs. Before leaving, the son gave the boy an additional $10.00 tip for me but the boy don’t let go the $10.00 bill even in exchange of toys, keys and edimame! The father gets another $10.00 from his pocket and gave it to me.


THERE ARE SOME MORE THAT I CAN’T RECALL ANYMORE.


THE POINT IS… IF I CAN STILL GET SOME TIPS WITH CUSTOMERS ALMOST ABOUT TO LEAVE, I HAVE SOME ‘MAGIC’ WITH MY MUSIC TO HAVE THEM STAY FOR A FEW MORE MINUTES AND A FEW MORE DOLLARS TIP!
Source:
Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
Tia Belau Newspaper
Pages 9 & 10
Volume 22
Issue 27
April 04, 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment