Sunday, July 13, 2014

(756) MUSIC AND ME (May 15, 2014) JAPAN AND TAIWAN BECOMES ONE THROUGH MUSIC

SINGING "WE ARE THE WORLD"
    This group of young Japanese guys make it a very happy and friendly night when they started to sing "We Are The World". They requested earlier Japanese songs "Kampai" and Itoshino Elly.                      (Photo by Roberto Hernandez  -Taken by Jem)


    JAPAN AND TAIWAN BECOMES ONE
                 THROUGH MUSIC

 ON JUNE 22, (Sunday), I have a very good conversation with Palauan security personnel Sean at Breeze Bar of Palau Royal Resort while he is making a routine check of the place. 

When our conversation was focused on music, we have a very educational discussion. I mentioned to him about the lone Japanese guy that gave me $100.00 twice in March 2008. 

He's got $250.00 one time as payment for him being a photographer in a wedding.

He's not a materialistic person and his quote about this bears on my mind: "Music is like an international language that connects everyone through the melody".

THE NEXT DAY, IT BECOMES A REALITY!

After playing piano for 2 hours at Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort, I proceed to Breeze Bar to play another 2 hours of keyboard music.

There are lots of guests and I took notice of a young Japanese group (all guys- 6 of them) that order drinks (beers, Tequila shots, etc) like there is no tomorrow.

There is also another group of young Taiwanese (mixed) at the high table with high chairs and another Taiwanese couple next to their high table.

Also three more Taiwanese fishermen who orders only iced tea and take advantage of free refill that they refill more than 5 times.

When I start to play Japanese songs, the Japanese groups are singing. I took out my Japanese and American songs songbook and gave it to them so that they can choose songs for request.

They like it when I sang "Oribia O Kikinagara" in guy's key (Key of A. The original key (lady singer) is key of F.)

They ask if I can play "We Are The World" as it is not included in the American songs list.

I put out the blue songbook with that song and one of the guy gave me $5.00 tip.

We have photo session before singing the song. The Assistant F & B Manager Marylin Alonzo is helping the staff because it's crowded with mixed guests.

They requested her to join in the photo session and mentioning her to be the Cindy Lauper in singing "We Are The World."

I transposed the key 2 steps lower so that everybody can reach the high notes.

I don't have time to suggest to them to change the words "We Are The World" to "We Are The Worst". And "We Are The Children" to "We Are The Chicken"! because I don't want to ruin the night by that joke. But maybe it might have been more fun if we did that.

Very few times that some of them will look at the lyrics of the song and it turns out to be a start of having a nice time through music.

A VERY LOUD APPLAUSE FROM TAIWANESE, FILIPINO AND JAPANESE GUESTS!

I followed it up with "Hotel California" with the key 3 steps lower than the original.

That's the time when one young Taiwanese comes beside me and sing it. One guy from Japanese group positioned himself in front of me, acting like he is the lead guitarist... IT'S SHOWTIME!

Two young Taiwanese ladies have a good time taking photos and video of the show.

Whenever the singing Taiwanese forgets the lyrics, I dictate to him because I know all the lyrics of Hotel California since 1994.

During the ad lib and ending of the song, the guy who pretends to be the lead guitarist becomes more inspired as if he's really playing the ad lib in which I'm using the pitch bend to make a more "distorted" electric guitar sound.

After the song, my 2 guest performers embraced like a long lost brothers. The Japanese 'performer' proceed to the table of Taiwanese 'performer' and they have photo sessions and more hugging.

The rest of the Japanese group join them and I felt like for at least one night -- JAPAN AND TAIWAN BECOMES ONE THROUGH MY MUSIC!

The Taiwanese couple next to the mixed group of Taiwanese don't want to miss some more fun and they transfer to the table next to me. The guy gave me $1.00 tip.

When the other Taiwanese group with children are paying their bill, a lady gave me $5.00 tip as they enjoyed also the night of Japanese, Taiwanese and American songs that I played that night. 

Eight days later, I talked to Marilyn before going to play another 2 hours at Breeze Bar. She said that those Japanese group have dinner at Liao's Room of Waves Restaurant and they consumed 49 Asahi beers, 2 bottles of white wine, a bottle of red wine and some Tequila shots. 


Source: Chess And Music (Perfect Combination)
               The Beginning Of Chess In Palau
               By Roberto Hernandez
               June 2014
               To be published as a book in the future   

 

        


No comments:

Post a Comment