Monday, July 21, 2014

(757) I LOST MY WALLET DURING INTERNATIONAL CHESS TOURNAMENT - 2007 Palau Invitational Chess Championship

INSIDE JEAN'S BOUTIQUE AND STORE
        Gene Pastrana, right, venue host of many chess tournaments in Palau, playing against Palau bet Tutii Joe Chilton during the 2005-2006 Rapid Chess Tournament at Jean's Boutique and Store premises. They are playing at the parking area because the inside of the store can't accommodate more than 8 players. The 2007 Palau Invitational Chess Championship (known as the 2nd Ambassador Marino Cup) was held inside the store because the contestants are limited to 10 players. In that event that Roberto lost his wallet. The one who got it is in this picture.
                                                (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)

Roberto's email about the lost wallet was sent to the following:
Dear Friends,
     It's not a good day for me in the penultimate round of 2007 Ambassador Marino Cup (Palau Invitational Chess championship). 
     It's not that I lost my last 2 games to NM Manny Nedic and eventual co-champion Menandro Manuel but I also lost my wallet during my game with Cyril Montel, Jr. on Sept. 20, 2007.
     Before playing him, me and my wife bought some food stuff at Surangel's at around 11:00 am where I last used my wallet. 
     After beating Cyril in 2 1/2 hours, I went to Palau Royal Resort, where I work as musician, to have lunch at 1:30pm.
     While I'm on my way to cafeteria, I noticed that my wallet in my back pocket is missing. 
     I called Gene Pastrana, venue host, to check the chair where I sat down for 2 1/2 hours but it's not there.
     I went back to Surangel's and asked Dodie Pineda to check the security camera. 
     He said that I took my wallet out 4 times but put it back 4 times also so it's not been lost there.
     I had a short conversation with Philippine Ambassador to Palau Ramoncito Marino at the Embassy before the game with Cyril. They checked the place and found nothing.
     I didn't use my wallet in buying hair dye for my wife as she gave me $20.00. The $17.00 change was in my belt bag.
     My lost wallet contained $151.00 cash, my work permit, driver's license, PRR I.D, Bank Of Hawaii ATM card, my SSS card (09-405114), Palau Public Library card, FIDE card, Surangel's card and photos ('60's, '80's and '90's).
     I'm giving the cash content of the wallet to the finder as reward. I just need the others badly. I was able to get a new driver's license for $25.00 and a new PRR I.D. for $15.00 (salary deduction). 
     I went to the Bank of Hawaii to block anyone who might use the ATM card and they will issue me a new one in 3 weeks. The biggest amount that I will pay is for the work permit which is $100.00 to be reissued also in 3 weeks.
     My message to the finder is: Just keep the cash, you don't need the others. It is considered stealing if you don't return those important things. Stealing is a mortal sin. Honesty is the best policy. If you will not return those, you robbed me twice and God will punish you by losing twice the amount that you have stolen from me and more sufferings than you have caused me. If you return it after I spent those amount, it becomes useless so you still have a chance to think about it. You can return it to anybody at PRR or at P. O. Box 10108, 678 or 1051. What if this thing happened to you? I can be your best friend that you can ever had. I don't need to know you if you're ashamed to God. Is your honor and soul worth only $151.00? It's been my wallet for 15 years and it's the first time that I lost it. I still pray for you everyday that you will do the right thing.
     Please pray with me for the finder to make up his mind and God bless you all.


Roberto Hernandez
Musician, Palau Royal Resort
Chairman, Knights And Rooks Chess Club (Palau)
Secretary/Treasurer, Palau Chess Federation
Chess Columnist, Tia Belau Newspaper
    







Source: History of Chess In Palau 
             By Roberto Hernandez
             June 2014
             To be published as a book in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment