Thursday, October 10, 2013

(614) MUSIC AND ME (Sept. 19, 2013) Can You Make A Joke To A President?

I CAN WRITE HER NAME IN JAPANESE ALPHABET
    While having a meal at Palau Royal Resort Cafeteria, this intern Japanese lady was surprised when I asked her, "Your name is Mami?" and wrote her name in Katakana alphabet on a napkin. I gave her my card with my name written in English and Japanese. A few days later, she went to Breeze Bar to have this picture taken as souvenir before going back to Japan after being an intern for 2 months.
                                                   (Photo by Roberto Hernandez) 


  CAN YOU MAKE A JOKE TO A PRESIDENT? 

ON AUGUST 31, 2013, Palau President Tommy Remengesau, Jr. had a one-on-one meeting with a Taiwanese investor and owner of a newly-to-be-opened hotel/resort.

After the meeting, they're saying goodbye to each other. The President waved to me and just said, "Robert" as a show of greeting me. Some employees are surprised that he mentioned my name and saying goodbye.

I appreciate the President's gesture with that simple mention of my name. I will not forget when he is running for president in 1999 and they have a "MEETING DE AVANTE" or final meeting of candidates 2 days before the election.It was held at Image Restaurant where I play piano and operates karaoke for 13 years.

His running mate (for Vice President) is Senator Alan Seid, who is about to make a speech. I stop playing piano and President Tommy approached me and said, "Robert, I know that you cannot vote, but maybe you can tell your Palauan friends to vote for me." And he gave me $20.00.

During the primary election, there are 5 candidates. He topped the primary election followed by Peter Sugiyama. The other 3 losing candidates have collaborated with Sugiyama to give Tommy a good fight but he still won by landslide because he is the people's choice. His father, Tomas Remengasau, Sr. became Palau President also.

AND HOW I WAS ABLE TO JOKE HIM?

Once or twice a month, Tommy and his wife Debbie used to sing karaoke with me operating it till they go home. 

They usually come with Encely Ngiraiwet, the wife of Delegate of Ngardmau Lucio Ngiraiwet, and Frida Loftis. They will be joined by my employer for 13 years Margarita "Margie" Borja Dalton.

One night at about 1am, they finished singing with Tommy still joining them but he's head-bent asleep while the other 4 ladies (Encely, Frida, Debbie and Margie) still talking, joking and drinking.

That's one good thing about him, he still joins you at the table but he will sleep if he had enough to drink.

IT COMES TO MY MIND TO JOKE HIM... I GET A FUTON (Single) and put it beside him. I wake him up and said, "Sir, would you like to sleep here?"  

The 4 ladies laugh so hard and the President also laugh with my joke!

ONLY IN PALAU THAT YOU CAN MAKE A JOKE LIKE THAT TO A PRESIDENT!


Source: Chess and Music: Perfect Combination
            The Beginning of Chess In Palau
            September 2013
            To be published as a book in the future  



    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment