Thursday, June 6, 2013

(489) MUSIC AND ME (May 30, 2013) Mr. Makino -- ALL DRESSED IN WHITE

RED WINE FOR 3 CONSECUTIVE NIGHTS
Japanese guest of Palau Royal Resort, Mr. Makino, gave me a glass of red wine for 3 consecutive nights- March 23, 24 and 25, 2013. Red wine is what I am drinking while posting this. Arnold Tabayoyong gave me 3 glasses of red wine on April 24, 2013. I can't finish the 3rd glass and bring it to my room instead and enjoying it now. CHEERS!!!
(Photo by Roberto Hernandez)



        ALL DRESSED IN WHITE --
                   Mr. Makino


SOME guests gave me drinks (alcoholic or juice), some gave cash, some gave home-made presents (book markers, origami, can opener, nail cutter, chocolates, etc) and some currencies in their countries (yen, Taiwanese dollars, Korean won, Philippine peso, 2.00 US dollar bill-for good luck according to an American guest).

I'm accepting every cash, drinks and any other form of appreciation and always say "Thank you", "Arigatou gozaimasu", "Xie Xie ni", "Kamsamida", "Gracias", "Salamat Po", "Afkaristo", etc. to the giver/s.

When I'm playing piano at Beverly Hills Deli in Greenbelt, Makati Philippines in 1992, I have free 2 beers every night and unlimited appetizer of cashew nuts, which I bring home to my wife some that I can't finished eating.

My 'slow' style of drinking beer is -- comsume one beer in one hour. One sip after every song. The same style while I'm playing Greek music in Bahrain. I can finish 4 beers (Foster) in 4 hours. If I drink 2 beers in 15 minutes, I'll get drunk that easy.

I Bahrain, my Cypriot partner (bouzuki player) Antonis Sergio, can finish 2 bottles of white wine every night because it's free. I don't think he can afford to drink 2 bottles of white wine every night if he will buy those from his own pocket.

At Beverly Hills Deli, if customers give me 2 beers, I will not consume my 2 free beers so that it can add to the sales of the restaurant.

I'm doing that in Palau for 21 years. If I was given a drink, I will ask for a glass of red wine or whatever the giver is drinking. That's small thing but it adds to the revenue of the hotel.

BUT THIS KIND OF THING IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO PALAU ROYAL RESORT EXECUTIVE CHEF MASAKI HORIE.

Three weeks ago, I was given a glass of red wine by a guest. I'm halfway finished with it in almost an hour.

He saw I had a red wine and ask the lady supervisor to get it and told me to drink it later after work.

I didn't ask for the other half after work. At least $8.00 was added to the sales.

Last week, a Filipino guy who always requesting "Speak Softly Love" , the theme song from "Godfather", everytime he's dining at PRR, told me that he wants to give me a drink but he was informed that I'm not allowed to drink alcohol while playing or while on duty.

It didn't even come to the mind of those who informed him that If I am not allowed to drink alcohol, then they should say that juice, soda, mineral water, lemonade, or drink of the month (without alcohol) is acceptable and can add to sales.

When Mr. Mikano had his dinner at PRR Waves Restaurant on March 23, 2013, he was in front of the piano. He gave me a glass of red wine. It's good that Chef Horie is not around the whole night at that time.

The next day, a Taiwanese couple were sitting at the table where he sat before. He had his dinner about 7 meters farther.

When the Taiwanese couple left, he transfered to that table again. He gave me another glass of red wine and he requested some Japanese and American songs.

On the 3rd night, his favorite table is vacant and he sat there and gave me another glass of red wine. He's still wearing the all-white attire.

We had some pictures taken before he leaves for Japan. I gave him my card and he ask me to call him at this number: 090-8945-0369.



Source: Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
The Begining of Chess In Palau
(To be published as a book in the future)



No comments:

Post a Comment