Sunday, March 29, 2015

(909) MUSIC AND ME (March 19, 2015) GUESSING THE TITLES OF THE SONGS I'M PLAYING

MUSIC LOVERS SWISS COUPLE AT WAVES RESTAURANT
     Swiss couple Jacques and Maria Streng appreciated Roberto's music for 2 nights on March 8-9, 2015 at Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort. At right is Kay, the PRR service staff that relays to Roberto how the couple love his music esp. American songs. Roberto didn't know that they are guessing the titles of the songs that he's playing since March 8 when he played the song "I Can't Tell You Why" by Eagles.
                                (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)


   GUESSING THE TITLES OF THE SONGS
                   I'M PLAYING
In almost 8 years of playing music at Palau Royal Resort, I have experienced thrice that some guests that are having fun guessing the titles of the songs I'm playing.

About 4 years ago, at Breeze Bar of Palau Royal Resort, there was a couple sitting at a table near the coconut tree.
The lady is from the Philippines and her husband is Arab.

At past 11pm, I passed through them and they said that they are guessing the titles of the songs that I have played since they started to drink their cocktails.

The lady said she guessed more songs than her husband. The only song that she didn't guess right is the Spanish song "Cielito Lindo".

There was an old Japanese guy with his grandson about 3 years ago at Waves Restaurant of PRR that is also guessing and singing with the Japanese songs that I'm playing. 

After I finished playing a song, he will look at me and tell me the title by just opening his mouth without voice. I will nod if he guessed right.

When I played "Wakatte Kudasai", I saw a look in his face that he didn't know the title of that song and I say out loud "Wakatte Kudasai!" Then he remembers and agrees.

He guessed right of about 80% of the Japanese songs that I've played and gave me $10.00 tip.

On March 08, 2015, we have a couple which looks like Americans to me. They sit at a table near the window at about 50 feet from the piano.

I alternately played Japanese, Taiwanese and American songs because we have mixed nationality guests. New waitress Kay told me that the couple said that I play the piano really good.

Both of them clapped when I finished playing "It's Too Late" by Carole King. The uptempo beat of that song and the beautiful arrangement of the chords is really pleasing to the ear. But I have to look at the chords of that song in my dark blue notebook/songbook.

The next day, March 09, they are dining again and sitting at the same table. I played mostly American songs because I thought they are Americans. Later, Kay gave me $5.00. She said it's from the couple.

When I finished playing at the restaurant (9:00pm) I dropped by to them and gave the guy my card. He saw there the logo of Pentecostal Missionary Church of Christ (4th Watch) Palau Locale and he said, "So, you're playing music also at this church? Kay is also member of the church choir?"





         

**There will be some improvement here. In the President, 2008-2010 will be added and below it will be Vice President -2015. The website below palau royal resort will be deleted and the Chinese character of the hotel will be added.



I said, "No. She attends at different church." He asked if our church is also Christian church. I said yes but we don't believe in idolatry, or worshiping the images made by men. And that we worship in truth and spirit.

When the guy asked his wife Maria to give me a card also, that's the time that I realized they're not Americans. The guy, Jacques Streng is from Switzerland (Residence) and they have businesses in Amsterdam (Netherlands), Bangkok, Thailand, and Marbella, Spain.

Then they open the subject that they are having fun guessing the titles of the songs that I'm playing since March 8, where I played the Eagles' song "I Can't Tell You Why" in which Jacques is so sure about its title but Maria wants to ask Kay to ask me if the title is really it. Jacques prevented Kay because he is very sure about it.

I told them also that it's my 3rd time to experience guests guessing the titles of the songs that I'm playing. The first time with the Filipino and Arab couple, then a Japanese guy about the "Wakatte Kudasai".

It's my first time to meet a Swiss couple in PRR so I asked for a photo session that I told them that it may be featured in this blog site or on Tia Belau Newspaper even though there no mention of chess. Here's the first photo (without Kay)...
   Jacques requested me to send the clippings or text of the article to his email address.

I invited them to Breeze Bar where I will be playing for another 2 hours of keyboard instrumental music. They said they will go but due to lack of time, they didn't make it because they are leaving Palau on that night at about 1am. 



    
Source: Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
             The Beginning of Chess in Palau
             By Roberto Hernandez
             2010-2015
             To be published as a book in the future
   

No comments:

Post a Comment