Sunday, March 22, 2015

(905) MUSIC AND ME (March 12, 2015) A Night w/ Palau President, 2 Delegates, Airai Gov. and Alvin the Nurse


FIRST MEETING AT LONG ISLAND PARK WHILE JOGGING
    Alvin, left, met Roberto at Long Island Park 2 months ago while he is jogging and Alvin, a nurse at Belau National Hospital, is having his kids have a stroll before going to school early that morning. They meet again at Breeze Bar of Palau Royal Resort on March 10, 2015 with Alvin's 2 cousins. Alvin is interested to learn guitar. He has an electric guitar with amplifier.                        (Photo by Roberto Hernandez -- Taken by Devie)




A NIGHT WITH PALAU PRESIDENT TOMMY
 REMENGESAU, JR., DELEGATES LUCIO NGIRAIWET AND MARIO GULLIBERT, AIRAI GOV. MERANG AND ALVIN, THE NURSE

I HAVE  a long nap on the afternoon of March 10, 2015. I thought it's only 5:30pm so I resume posting about chess at http://palau-chess.blogspot.com

When I look again at the wall clock, it's 6:45! I have to work at 7pm. I didn't take a shower anymore and punch in at 6:50 and have a quick dinner with Devie, the cashier/bartender.
She said my appetite is contagious and she eat faster also and use her hands instead of spoon and fork as I'm doing so.

When I was about to enter the Waves Restaurant, it's full of guests for the function of Palau Government hosting the new USA Ambassador Hyatt.

The new F & B Manager Mervin, asks me to play at Breeze Bar instead.

I proceed to Breeze Bar and there are no guests but I set-up the keyboard first before going back to my room and brush my teeth.

When I go back at Breeze Bar, there are 6 old Americans sitting beside the keyboard. I started to play old American songs and they are enjoying it but mostly they are talking.

Before they leave, 3 Palau guys sit at the table behind me. One of them asked me to play again the last song that I've played --"Hotel California", where he likes the ad lib with me using the pitch bend to make a sound like a real guitar with distortion effect.

I notice the guy who requested encore looks familiar and he knows me saying, "I still got your card that you gave me."
I remember him now as Alvin, the nurse at Belau National Hospital, whom I met at Long Island Park while I'm jogging on Wednesday morning after attending the Morning Devotion at Pentecostal Missionary Church of Christ (4th Watch) Palau Locale.

He said to me, "Are you the guy in Tia Belau Newspaper? Writing about chess and music?" When I said yes, he said he always read my column and he has a guitar with an amplifier. He wants me to teach him someday guitar. 

While I'm on my jogging near my car, I get one card from my wallet at the back of the car and gave it to him.

I also told him that I'm jogging half-naked because I want to get some vitamins from sunlight because most of the time, I'm inside the hotel (Palau Royal Resort).

I resumed my jogging and took some photos of wild chicken/hens...
Rooster, too.


The lone squid here is not visible to the naked eyes.




Wild hens and a rooster.


  Alvin offered me a drink and I ordered also the one that they are drinking -- Asahi beer (Super Dry).

A lone Chinese guy came and appreciated the Chinese song that I played when he comes.

He saw that Alvin is taking photos of his cousins and he volunteered to take the photos so that Alvin will be in there. He did some 'bending' while taking the photos but it's not steady and Alvin suggested to take some more.

Later, the Chinese guy's wife came and they sit at a table near the railing. I started to play more Chinese songs and they appreciated it.

A few minutes later, their angry tourist guide came and I saw them in a hurry to leave. THEIR BUS IS LEAVING IN A FEW MINUTES FOR THEIR TRIP BACK TO MAINLAND CHINA!

They hurriedly pay their bill and before leaving, the guy gave me $20.00 tip!

Mainland Chinese tourists are beginning to impress me to be as generous as Japanese guests (sometimes better).

Just last Sunday, March 8, 2015, a Chinese guy gave me also $20.00 tip after I played the Taiwanese/Chinese song "Heart of the Bloom" and he asked me to play more Chinese songs.

I played all Chinese songs since then and he requested international songs this time. He is with his wife and another Mainland Chinese couple.

At 11pm, I stop playing and gave my card to the guy. They offered me a drink from the 2 wines that they are drinking. I prefer the red wine. They said it's good choice because the other one is very strong.

The generous Chinese guy came back with his wife 2 days later and he gave me Bud light this time.

We have some photos and he said to me his name is La Cao.


Mr. La Cao doesn't like a picture of us together with his wife so a separate photo ensues.


Mrs. La Cao              (Photo by Roberto Hernandez -- Taken by Renz Patrick Lim)


On March 09, 2015, I've got $9.00 tip from a group of Taiwanese/Chinese (5 of them, the lone lady is the one that gave me the $9.00 tip, all single dollars.)


At 10pm on that March 10 night, Palau President Tommy Remengesau, Jr. came by himself and greeted me "Hi, Robert". I said, Hi Sir. 

Later, he was joined by Ngardmau Delegate Lucio Ngiraiwet, Angaur Delegate Mario Gullibert, an American lady, a high ranking official from Ngatpang State, and Airai State Governor Merang. The President's bodyguards are watching closely the Chinese and Japanese couples, who didn't realize that Palau President is around the corner.

A Palauan couple arrived also. As they are about to sit next to the President's table, the guy greeted first the President and they were invited to join them at their table.

I started to play and sing Palauan songs to them. Even Alvin also enjoys Palauan songs.

Some staff from the restaurant helped the 2 assigned staff at Breeze Bar. Minutes later, Joy (cashier) handed me a $10.00 bill given to me as tip. I asked where it came from. She said, from the President.

At 10:45, Delegate Mario Gullibert requested "Moon River" and gave me $10.00 tip likewise.

He asked for my cellphone number and I gave him my card. He said he read in the Tia Belau "Music and Me" column of mine about the song "Moon River" with guitar chords. He said he can play guitar a little but would like to play that song properly. I suggested to him that in every bar of that song, the chord changes. So if the one playing that song stayed in one chord for more than 3 counts, he/she is already missing the 'trick' to learn that song properly.






WAVES RESTAURANT IN PALAU AND AUSTRALIA
     After setting the tournament site, Roberto Hernandez, left, Jamie Kenmure, right, Scott, Bernard Saavedra and Charles Zworestine had lunch at Waves Restaurant in Australia. Roberto is playing piano at Waves Restaurant in Palau Royal Resort every night from 6-9 pm except Friday (his day off).                         (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)




                          MOON RIVER
                 (THE SONG THAT CHANGES CHORD AT EVERY BAR)




THE MOVIE “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” has a wonderful theme song entitled “Moon River”. It was composed by Henry Mancini in 1961 and lyrics by Johnny Mercer.


It is the only song that I know that changes its chords at every bar. This song is written in ¾ or waltz so every bar, there are 3 beats. You can’t go wrong with its timing if you will continually count 1, 2, 3/   1, 2, 3/ … all the way to the end of the song.


Moon River is one of the most requested songs in my music career. In 2005, while I’m on a break in playing keyboard for a farewell party of former Taiwanese Ambassador to Palau Clark Chen, who hired me to play at Palasia Hotel during that party. He paid me $25.00 per hour including the use of my own equipments.


A Taiwanese guy played a few songs on my keyboard during my break. When he played Moon River, I immediately know that he don’t have the idea that the song changes chord every bar. When he stays longer in one bar, I know he’s not playing it right.


So if you wish to learn that song by guitar, piano or keyboard, keep in mind not to stay in one chord after 3 counts and YOU’LL NEVER GO WRONG!


Among my previous and current students, only Christian ‘Shinji’ Otsuka was able to learn and play it correctly in more than one hour of studying that song.  GOOD JOB, SHINJI!
In early 1980’s, a guy requested me to play Henry Mancini’s songs and Moon River was the first one that I’ve played then, not knowing that its chords changes every bar.

 I JUST REALIZED THE SPECIAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THIS SONG A FEW YEARS AGO.


                                                          H E R E ‘ S    T H E   S O N G --- and the chords –





                                                                                   MOON  RIVER





     C     Am     F                      C                  F                         C               Dm6-E7
Moon River, wider than a mile.    I’m crossin’ you in style someday.
           Am     C7                F         Bb                      Am    Am7      Am6   B7           Em7  A7        Dm7 – G7
Old dream-maker, you heart-breaker    Wherever you’re goin’,            I’m goin’      your way.


  C      Am          F                      C                               F                     C            Dm6 – E7
Two drifters,  off to see the world       There’s such a lot of world to see.
             Am Am7          Am6   F7              C          F                                     C
We’re   a f t e r    the same rainbow’s end          Waitin’  ‘round the bend
F                              C             Am     Dm   G7       C – G#- Bb- Eb- G7
  My huckleberry friend    Moon River   and me.




                                                                          F – Em – Dm - C
(REPEAT ALL EXCEPT LAST WORD)          … me.




Source: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandezha
              Tia Belau Newspaper
              Pages 8-9
              Volume 21    Issue 32
              May 24, 2012



They requested the American lady to sing a song. I gave her my song books and she asks what are the favorite songs of President Remengesau. I told her one of his favorites is Hawaiian songs "Baby Blue" and "Don't Say Goodbye". Also "Let Me Be There" by Olivia Newton-John. She don't know those songs. After choosing for more than 5 minutes, she is ready to sing "Surfin' USA". The original key of The Beach Boys is D so I gave her the key of A and she did okay even without microphone.

Before Alvin and his cousins left, he gave me another Asahi beer and a shot of vodka.
      
At exactly 11pm, I stopped playing music. I go to the President's table to inform them that the music stops at 11pm because the guests are already sleeping at that time.

The guy from Ngatpang said, "We are guests also." He added that if ever I lost my job, he and Ngatpang State are always ready to hire me.

The President and Lucio Ngiraiwet introduced me to the others that I am also a good chess player and they asked me to tell them my chess experiences in Palau, after asking me, "How long you've been here in Palau?" I said 23 years...

"I won the Palau National Championship twice. I'm a National Master and I represented Palau in 2009 in Australia, in 2010 in Russia (Olympiad), in 2012 in Istanbul, Turkey, and last year in Norway. I'm writing about chess in Tia Belau Newspaper for 12 years."

President Remengesau said, "Robert, we appreciate your continued representation of Palau through chess."

"It's my pleasure, sir."

While securing the keyboard and other stuff, the Airai State Governor approached me and offered me to play in his place from 10pm-2am on Fridays and from 11pm-2am on Saturdays. He said there is a keyboard there (Yamaha PSR 950). He asked me how much I will charged him.

I said, "When Taiwan Ambassador Clark Chen hired me to play at the farewell party of his friend in Palasia Hotel, I charged him $25.00/hour because I brought my own equipment. Since you have the equipment already, I will charge you the same rate as I'm teaching piano ----$15.00/hr."

I gave Governor Merang my card and we will get in touch about it.


Sources: Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
             The Beginning of Chess in Palau
             By Roberto Hernandez
             June 2009 -- March 2015
             To be published as a book in the future

             Music and Me
             Tia Belau Newspaper
             By Roberto Hernandez
             May 24, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment