Wednesday, March 4, 2015

(896) MUSIC AND ME (Feb. 19, 2015) JAPANESE HONEYMOONERS AT PALAU ROYAL RESORT

BRING THE BABY WHEN YOU COME BACK TO PALAU
     This young Japanese couple are honeymooners. They appreciate Roberto's Japanese music. Before going to Breeze Bar for another 2-hour keyboard music performance, he dropped by to the couple, who is enjoying the complimentary honeymooners' cake (with a heart-shaped cookies). He teased them with "Please bring the baby when you come back to Palau again!" The lady said, "We hope so."
                                                     (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)


           JAPANESE HONEYMOONERS
            AT PALAU ROYAL RESORT 

FEBRUARY 16 is one of my luckiest days as far as tip is concerned. The Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort where I play piano instrumental music from 7-9pm every night except Friday (my day off) is fully decorated by Chinese New Year decorations/ornaments.

At about 7:30pm, an old Japanese guy requested French song "La Vien Rose". After finishing the song that I'm playing at that time, I played it. He came back and gave me $10.00 tip that he put on the piano chair where I'm sitting.

Thirty minutes later, a Chinese old guy is watching me play. He is looking at my business cards, at my feet pressing the damper pedals (left and right) and my song books.

I gave him my card and asked, "Do you want to request?" or "Requesto?" because I thought he's Japanese.

He can't make up his mind. I lend him my songbook with red cover. He can't make up his mind as well and he brings the song book to his wife.

When he comes back, he returned the red song book and gave me $10.00 tip also. I thought he's really a Japanese so to make sure about it, I asked if he's Japanese. He said he's Chinese.

Knowing that we had 70% Chinese/Taiwanese guests and about 30% Japanese guests, I alternately played Japanese and Taiwanese/Chinese songs till 9pm.

I noticed that the Japanese couple (photo above) of about 30 feet away, are enjoying my rendition of Japanese songs. Before going to Breeze Bar at 9pm, I dropped by at their table where they are enjoying the honeymooners' cake. We have about 5 minutes conversation. I said I have to go to play another 2 hours of music at Breeze Bar. I teased them when they said they will be back in Palau because they like it, with "Please bring the baby when you come back to Palau." The lady said, "We hope so." I gave them my card.

When I come to Breeze Bar, there are no customers. As I am setting the keyboard, Den Flores, the bartender, said not to set it because there are no customers. I said, I will just set it without plugging it to outlet just to be ready when the first guests come. We watch sports at ESPN.

Five minutes later, another young Japanese honeymooners came. They are surprised that there is entertainment sat at the very far end of Breeze Bar. When I played "Yume No Tochu", they are clapping with the upbeat tempo of the song. They even alternately taking photos of me that far.

When I sung the "Oribia O Kikinagara", the lady comes closer to me and took another photo. She knows the lyrics of that song as well. I get my Japanese and English songs songbook and gave it to them and said it's okay to request or "Requesto daijobou." They requested "Nada Sou Sou" and "Yesterday Once More" by the Carpenters.

There is also a group of Taiwanese (2 girls and 2 ladies) near the railing that appreciate my rendition of Japanese and American songs. I know they are Taiwanese because of the way they speak.

Thirty minutes later, the first honeymooners arrive and have drinks also almost behind me. I adjust the position of the keyboard facing them because there are no guests at the right side of Breeze Bar. The first guest (honeymooners #2), the lady, gave the songbooks to the honeymooners #1, who requested "Tsunami" and "Itoshino Elly".

The teen-age Taiwanese girl was the first one to give tip ($5.00) although they are not requesting. The honeymooners saw it and they've got the point--those who don't request gave tip, what more with us requesting.

It was a very nice night of live music and singing (live!) for more than an hour. The honeymooners # 1 gave also $5.00 tip. I teased them again before going with, "Please bring the baby when you come back to Palau again."

The honeymooners #2 are not satisfied with their location so they transferred to a table close to me. They enjoyed more Japanese and American songs.

They gave me $10.00 tip and have this photo as souvenir:

 I gave them my card also. As usual, I forgot to ask for their names. Sometimes it's better that way so that they can have their privacy even if it is published here. 

After they left, I played all-Taiwanese songs this time as no more Japanese guests. They enjoyed it and while leaving at 10:50, they are humming to the tunes of Taiwanese song that I'm playing.


Source: Music and Me
              By Roberto Hernandez
              February 17, 2015
     

   

  

    


  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment