Tuesday, June 3, 2014

(721) MUSIC AND ME (March 27, 2014) RUSSIANS THAT DON'T PLAY CHESS


A SHOT OF ABSOLUT VODKA
     This group of Russian guests at Palau Royal Resort gave me a shot of Absolut vodka upon knowing that I've been to Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia in 2010 World Chess Olympiad. Surprisingly, none of them play chess professionally or as a hobby. They come to Palau to escape winter in Russia and enjoy the sun. I'm holding a Tia Belau Newspaper and showed them that I write about chess there for 11 years and that this picture might be featured there someday.        (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)
                                                                     (Taken by Jackie, the bartender)



RUSSIANS THAT DON'T PLAY CHESS

ON APRIL 05, 2014, we have about 14 Russian guests at Palau Royal Resort that will stay for 2 weeks. 

During their first week, I haven't approached them and introduce myself that I have been to Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia during the 2010 World Chess Olympiad from Sept. 19-Oct. 04.

I have met some Russians especially during the winter season in Europe but almost all of them don't play chess. I said to one of them, "I thought all Russians play chess."

Before the 2012 World Chess Olympiad in Istanbul, Turkey, I checked the Russians top 100 players --97 of them are Grandmasters!!!
2 are International Masters (IM) and the 100th is not even a FIDE Master but his rating is more than 2500, better than most other GMs.

Three days before the group left, I approached them but only 2 of them can speak good English so she became the translator. 

I have with me a copy of the latest Tia Belau Newspaper and 3 business cards where I have a photo in each side. 

After some introductions and mentioned of the 2010 World Chess Olympiad in Khanty-Mansiysk, they asked me to sit with them and have a shot of Absolut vodka that they're having at their table. They are very proud to have somebody who's been to their country especially from a small island like Palau.

I sat for about 5 minutes and ask Jackie, the bartender to take a photo of us. I don't want to let go this opportunity having photo with new acquaintances. 

Then it's time to play "Happy Birthday" song for one of them -- Yuri. I finished drinking the vodka shot and before playing Happy Birthday, I ask the F & B Manager Edwin Acuyan if they have cake with candle for dramatic birthday greeting. 

From right to left, Edwin Acuyan, Roberto Hernandez, Chef Ai Lin Liao and Leizl Michael during the farewell party of Chef Ai Lin at Conference Room of Palau Royal Resort.
                                                        (Photo by Roberto Hernandez, Taken by Rea Arceo)

              
Edwin ask one of the staff to get a slice of cake at the display window and charge it to him. The Russians are spending lots of money and a slice of cake is a show of gratitude.

After playing the Happy Birthday song, there's big applause among all of them. Other guests are carried away by a simple greeting with dramatic effect.

I followed it up with "Those Were The Days", an American song by Mary Hopskin that has a very popular Russian version.

They all sung it in Russian.

Next, I played "From Russia With Love" and Edwin said, "You're really from Russia tonight, ha?" 

The next day, one of them go to me and start humming a Russian song. I used my "music instinct" or by ear as there is no music score available. 

Upon knowing that I can carry on with that Russian song, the guy continues singing with his voice getting higher and clearer.

A lady, 3rd from left in the photo, is taking a video of his singing.

The Assistant Food and Beverage Manager Marylin Alonzo, came near me and said, "No singing." Because Michelle Liao, the DOB of Palau Royal Resort, is having dinner at the wooden area and Marylin said that the other guests are getting distracted by the singing.

Marilyn Alonzo is 6th from left (back row). This photo was taken during the farewell party of Executive Chef Masaki Horie, on Marilyn's left.


But I cannot stop in the middle of the song and Marylin also talk to the lady taking a video.

After he finished the song, a very loud applause from their group. Some applause also from other guests. THEY ARE NOT DISTRACTED. THEY ENJOY HEARING A DIFFERENT AND BEAUTIFUL MELODY ESPECIALLY FROM A EUROPEAN MAN!

The next day, there are no customers at 8:30 pm and Marylin sings a lot of songs chosen from my songbooks. CUSTOMERS CAN'T SING BUT SHE CAN?

She didn't mention about what she has tried to do in stopping the Russian guy from singing. Maybe she realized that it's not a distraction but an added attraction to guests.


Source: Chess And Music (Perfect Combination)
           The Beginning of Chess In Palau
           By Roberto Hernandez
           May 2014
           To be published as a book in the future 
   

       

  

       

No comments:

Post a Comment