Friday, July 26, 2013

(518) MUSIC AND ME (July 18, 2013) Taiwanese Family

RECEPTIVE TAIWANESE FAMILY
     On July 17, 2013, this Taiwanese family was very receptive to every Taiwanese song I've played. The father, right, even videoed the whole song "Grandma's Penghu Bay" with his whole family in the background. When they are having dinner, they are clapping after I've played the other Taiwanese songs in my repertoire.                                                             (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)



AFTER coming from a 22-day vacation to Philippines on June 21-July 12, 2013, I played piano again on the evening of July 13.

Many will think that I will become a little 'rusty' after that 3-week without playing piano.
 
But not to my surprise, I played the first song with expression. Just like I played it without rustiness, I even got a 1,000 yen tip from a Japanese guy with a Palauan couple.

He tear a part of an envelop and wrote down 3 songs on that -- As Time Goes By, My Way and Sakura, Sakura.

I was able to play the first 2 songs and I replaced the Sakura, Sakura with Sakeyo.

He tear another part of the envelop and wrote down 3 more songs -- From Russia With Love, New York, New York and Besame Mucho -- Truly international!

He added another $5.00 as tip. Later, he asked the Palauan guy to request a song and tear another part of the envelop. It's almost 1/3 left with it.

When I read the request, the one written there is "Match The Night", which I'm sure it is "Mack The Knife". 

The next day, the Japanese guy came with his mom. Jeff, the bartender, told me they are waiting for me earlier.

I played "Looking Through The Eyes Of Love" first. I didn't recognized him yet because he is sitting with his back against me very close to the piano.

He wrote again some songs to a piece of paper and I was able to play it all. This time he gave me $1.00. 

The mother of the Taiwanese family asked me, "How can you play all those songs without looking at the music score sheet?"

When I replied "Computer" and pointing to my head, she said, "You're right! Computer."

They proceed to Breeze Bar at 9:00 pm  and I told them that I will be playing keyboard there for 2 hours.

They just check and look around the place for 15 minutes and left to rest. Lots of waving while they are leaving. 



Source: Chess And Music (Perfect Combination)
            The Beginning of Chess In Palau
            (To be published as a book in the future)        

 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment