Thursday, December 27, 2012

(362) MUSIC AND ME (Dec. 27) MY GODFATHERS

MY ONLY GODSON IN PALAU
The boy in the middle, Kevin Anthony Raquinio, is my only godson in Palau. He graduated high school last year. This photo was taken in Dec. 1999 at Moon Bay Club of Image REstaurant during the staff Christmas party. Left to right (back row) Susan, Gloria Osarch, Romeo Coritico, Margarita Borja Dalton, Roberto Hernandez, Willie Medalla and (?), 2nd row, (L-R) Susan's daughter, (?), Ma. Victoria Coritico, Nilda Raquinio, Flor Hernandez, Alicia Medalla and Hermie ( Photo by Roberto Hernandez)




                     MY GODFATHERS




SINCE I was in the elementary grade at school, my mother and I used to visit my godfathers on every Christmas day. We used to visit first my godfather in a barrio of Tampok of Hagonoy, Bulacan where we used to ride on a ‘karitela’ or a vehicle like a carriage being pulled by a horse.


I remember seeing a basket under the ass of the horse so that when the horse poops, it’s not scattered on the road. After a decade, that means of transportation was replaced by tricycles.


Whenever we visit my godfather in Tampok, he is always playing mahjong with friends so his wife, my godmother, is the one always assisting us.


I will not forget one Christmas day when my godmother lets me stay in a room to listen to a phonograph, using the 45 RPM and long playing albums that we call now as disc. While she is talking to my mother, I’m listening to the Simon and Garfunkel long playing recording of songs such as Bridge Over Troubled Water, Sound of Silence, Scarborough Fair/Canticle, Mrs. Robinson, Homeward Bound and their other hit songs, which are all in the 1960’s. That was in early 1970’s.


I was amazed by the quality of sound and blending of voice of the duo and keep playing it trying to familiarize with the beautiful melodies of those songs especially the Sound of Silence. At that moment, I was hooked into music and wishes that someday I can sing and play a musical instrument.


After giving me some cash, we say goodbye to them with my godfather still playing mahjong and just wave to us as a sign of goodbye. I’ll give my cash gift to my mother to add for paying our rides.


We will then proceed at 6:00 pm to my next godfather, who is a doctor, this time with my sister and 3 brothers. My father always stays at home when visiting our godfathers but he’s always been with us when we visit our grandparents.


Our favorite food at my doctor godfather was the paella, with lots of seafood cooked with green-colored sticky rice. We stayed there for about an hour and we go there walking because it’s just about a kilometer from our house.


This tradition of paying visits to my godfathers continued until I graduated from high school. When I found a job in Makati City, Philippines, I visit my mahjong playing godfather by myself now. I usually have a long conversation with my god sister, who likes music very much, and her mom.


There’s one day that my mahjong playing godfather helped me to apply as US Navy personnel with him paying our transportation in going there and the ‘placement fee’ to his connection. At that time, in early 1970’s, those people who work in US military uplifted their financial status because of good pay and benefits.


One Christmas that I visited my godfather, there’s a piano now in their house and my god sister learned that I am playing music in Makati and she requested me to play the song “Honey” by Bobby Goldsboro. We have a long conversation with her mom and my godfather is still hooked in playing mahjong. I don’t accept cash gift now from my godmother as I have a job now.


Before going to Japan in 1982 and in Bahrain in 1987-1989, I visited my godfather again on Christmas day.


SOMETHING IS NOT FAMILIAR TO ME. THERE ARE NO PEOPLE PLAYING MAHJONG. THERE’S A COFFIN INSIDE THE HOUSE! WHEN I TAKE A LOOK, IT’S MY GODFATHER!


I sat beside my godmother and we talk in very low voice. After a few minutes of sporadic conversation, she asked me, “Who informed you that your godfather has passed away?” When I say, “Nobody, I came here to wish you merry Christmas.”She pressed my hand and cried. THAT’S THE LAST CHRISTMAS WITH THEM THAT I’LL NEVER FORGET.


And I didn’t have the courage to play “Honey” for my god sister.

Source:
Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
Tia Belau Newspaper
Pages 8-9
Volume 21
Issue 94
December 27, 2012:


No comments:

Post a Comment