Monday, May 11, 2015

(947) MUSIC AND ME (May 07, 2015) K I D S ! K I D S ! K I D S ! ! !

During the 2015 Chinese New Year celebration at Palau Royal Resort, this Chinese/Taiwanese family are guests of PRR for about 5 days.                                         (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)






In May 04, 2015, the mother of this 2 Japanese girls have a hard time taking photos with them looking at the camera. It takes her 3 shots but still not getting the angle she's hoping for.  (Photos by Roberto Hernandez)












https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=2223213667651635496#editor/target=post;postID=6427438056287979175;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=331;src=link


DON'T DRINK YOUR RED WINE!
    The Japanese guy in the middle gave me $10.00 tip and a glass of red wine. The Waves Restaurant supervisor, Fe, asked a bartender/waitress to tell me not to drink it while on duty.            (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)




THE LAST WALTZ-Japanese Version

ON October 05, 2013, there are moderate number of guests at Waves Restaurant of Palau Royal Resort, when I started to play piano at 7pm. 

Minutes later, a Japanese couple came with their grandson (photo). While getting his food at the buffet, the guy usually sang a part of Japanese song that I'm playing.

I played Japanese songs, Taiwanese songs and American songs alternately because there are some guests of these nationalities.

The Japanese guy came to me once more and gave me $10.00 tip. He can't speak English but I understand what he is saying 70% because he speaks so clearly and got a very good and powerful voice.

He also asked a waitress to give me red wine (my choice -- good for the heart). Then he asked me if I know the song "The Last Waltz" and then he proceed to his table with a plate of food.

When I started to play the intro of that song which is sung by Engelbert Humperdinck, he runs to me and sung the song in Japanese version. He's really got a powerful voice that he needs no microphone.

Fe, the supervisor, made a sign to me that he can't sing. But he's already singing and it would be a unethical to stop him from singing in the middle of the song.

I have a mixed feeling while playing with him singing -- The Japanese version of the song is so fitting to his voice and the selection of lyrics is so right that I'm inspired to play with expression but it's not fully expressive as there is a hindrance of getting another demerit for letting a guest sing.

After the song, Fe talked to him that he is not allowed to sing. When he sits down to his table, the red wine was put near to my water goblet. I put it on the top side of piano and the red wine was put to the place where the goblet was.

Then Jovy Rodriguez, the lady bartender, told me that she will put the wine in a plastic glass and I can drink it at Breeze Bar. 

While I continue to play the rest of my schedule there, the former Executive Chef Masaki Horie, who was the brainchild of disallowing guests to sing or touch the piano, passed by with the new Exec. Chef Mr. Daisuke Kunii.

Chef Horie is also the one that tells the staff not to allow me to drink the alcoholic beverage that the guests are giving me.

I discovered that personal memo/order when a Filipino guest told me that, "I wanted to give you a drink but the waitress said that you are not allowed to drink while on duty."

It didn't even come to Chef Horie's mind that if customers want to give me drinks, they should have give me juice or Drink of the Month (DOM) without alcohol so that it adds to the sales.

My main concern for accepting drinks that the guests are giving me is help in adding to the sales. Most of the drinks that guests are giving me, especially beers in can, I just keep in my room. 

At 9:00pm, after securing my things and the piano, I went to their table and we talk for a few minutes. They really can speak English so I have to really stretch my hearing and understanding of the words they are saying.

I asked them for a souvenir photo before I go to Breeze Bar. When we are posing at the piano, my cell phone's camera is not working (with error warning). I have to asked them to use their camera first and turned the power off of my camera.

I proceed to Breeze Bar with the red wine in a plastic glass. There, the regular guests (the Pineda brothers: Bobby, Ogie and Dodie) are there.

They have some family discussions which is very nice to hear. The side of one is different from the other 2. Half hour later, an American couple sit at the table beside them.

When I started to play "Hotel California", they are singing with it so I sang the song on the 2nd stanza. Four of us are now singing -the couple, Bobby and me.

I followed it up with the 2nd Eagles song "Desperado" and the American guy knows the song and sang with me.

All the other songs --Stand By Me, Let It Be, Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You, Careless Whisper were also sung like a choir.

Bobby sang "Sometimes When We Touch" and "My Way" and also do the "drumming" using a chopstick, plates and table to the amazement of the American couple.

Before 11pm, the couple left and at exactly 11pm, I stopped playing. While securing the keyboard, the couple came back with their luggage. They are leaving in an hour to go back to USA. 

The guy is expecting me to be playing for another hour. I just sit down with them and they gave me a shot of sake (Japanese wine). 

When the conversation was focused to chess, I asked the guy if he plays chess. He said just a little. They are surprised to know that I represented Palau in Australia in 2009, in Russia in 2010, in Istanbul, Turkey last year and will represent Palau again in 2014 in Norway. 

The lady said they will follow the event next year and hopes to see me again in the news or TV. I gave them my calling card and wish them a good and safe flight back home.


Source: Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
           The Beginning of Chess In Palau
           October 2013
           To be published as a book in the future                       
  


































































https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=2223213667651635496#editor/target=post;postID=340673747280380686;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=542;src=link


VERY NICE TO MEET RIN KITA AGAIN
    If a simple letter/card can be treasured and cherished, what more with this picture with a beautiful girl that wrote me a lovely note, although in Japanese character, to touch the hearts of many including PRR GM Isao Takahashi, who kept that note/letter for more than a year!                                                    (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)



    RIN KITA IS BACK AFTER 2 YEARS


TWO weeks before going to Istanbul for 2012 World Chess Olympiad, the 56th issue of Tia Belau was published with Music and Me story of “A Letter From A 5-year-old Japanese Girl”.

                The first line of that story is “While playing piano at Waves Restaurant on Sunday, March 20, 2011, a 5-year-old girl is watching me play.”

                Exactly 2 years and 1 day (March 21, 2013), that Japanese girl is watching me play again. After finishing the song that I’m playing, I gave her my card and asked her name. She said her name but I misheard it as “Kin Jita”.

                Then I played some Japanese songs and she sung some parts where she knows in soft voice. Then I showed her my scrap book with photos and print copy of some Music and Me issues with black and white photos.

                My instinct ‘commanded’ me to go to the last part of the book where the letter/card of Rin Kita was posted. Then I said, “This is written and made by Rin Kita. Are you Rin Kita?” When she nodded, that’s the time that I’m sure now that she is really her 2 years ago.

                When I mentioned to her that she is the one that make and draw the hearts, grapes and flags of Palau and Japan in there, she is almost in tears.

                She can’t believe that a simple note, letter and drawing like that will be treasured and cherished by someone. I asked her, “Where is your mom?” And I said, go ahead and bring the book and show it to her.

                When they come to me, we have pictures taken –one in their camera and one in my cell phone’s camera. It’s my day off the next day (Friday) but on Saturday, they come again to have dinner near the piano.

                When I played “Oribia O Kikinagara”, Rin Kita sang on some parts that she knows. Her mom can sing all the last parts of the song.

                We talked for a while about their stay in Palau 2 years ago. It’s their 3rd time now in Palau. Rin Kita is 6 years old, not 5 as I have written. She’s 8 years old now and very beautiful.

                I read to them the contents of “A Letter From A 5-year-old Japanese Girl”—about the accident when Rin Kita accidentally drop a glass and some broken glass hit her leg; about the letter/card and how our GM Isao Takahashi translated it to me.

                I asked them also to check the website http://palau-chess.blogspot.com where I will feature Rin Kita again. She was featured (without picture) in Music and Me issue 56 (Aug. 16, 2012) and no. 280th post in that website. I posted it on August 18, 2012—a week before my trip to Istanbul.



Source: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
             Tia Belau Newspaper
             Pages 9 and 11
             Volume 22
             Issue 25
            March 28, 2013
















Sources: Music and Me
              By Roberto Hernandez
              2012-2015

             Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
             The Beginning of Chess in Palau
             By Roberto Hernandez
             June 09, 2002 -- May 07, 2015
             To be published as a book in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment