Sunday, April 6, 2014

(696) MUSIC AND ME (Jan. 30, 2014) YUI MIYAZAKI- HER FRIEND AND A NOTE WITH DRAWING (ala Rin Kita)

COLLECTOR'S ITEMS
     Many people collect valuable items like coins, stamps, jewelries, etc. which may cost more in the future. It's like investments. What I collect are handwritten requests of songs from customers, small notes with drawings, 2-dollar bill, origami (in dollars), and many other small items from customers, like a cute note and drawing by Yui Miyazaki, middle. I treasured it like the one Rin Kita has given me 2 years ago. It makes Rin Kita almost in tears realizing that there are people who give importance to their effort of writing or drawing something from their hearts.
                                                       (Photo by Roberto Hernandez) 



    A NOTE AND DRAWING FROM
               YUI MIYAZAKI

  A very simple yet an illustration of drawing talent by Yui Miyazaki.

   Although the grammar needs improvement, it's the thought that counts.

   I remember in 1971, a young girl wrote me a letter that still lingers in my mind:
   "Dear Obet, It's very nice watching you play the guitar. My weakness is seeing you play and learning the chords of a song repeating and repeating until you've found the right chords. Never giving up until you learn that tiniest details of the chords. Keep it up!"
           No mention of her name. Until now, I don't know her but her inspirational letter is a cherished one although I lost the letter already. 


THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW I CHERISH NOTES FROM GUESTS:
            FROM POST NO. 282 (MUSIC AND ME - Aug. 16    A LETTER FROM A 6-YEAR-OLD JAPANESE GIRL)

          A LETTER FROM A 6-YEAR-OLD
                   JAPANESE GIRL


WHILE playing piano at Waves Restaurant on Sunday evening, March 20, 2011, a 6-year old Japanese girl is watching me play. After finishing the song, I called her and gave her my card. She was very excited about it and showed the card to her mom and auntie.

                There’s also a young Japanese couple with 2 kids (one is maybe one year old and the other is 3 years old). They’ve been regular guests at Waves and Breeze Bar in the last 3 days.

                Minutes later, a group of Japanese came and have dinner in the wooden area. Five of them are in a wheelchair. One of them can ‘drive’ it without someone pushing it.

                At past 8:00 pm, after finishing their dinner and paying their more than $700.00 bill, the group had surrounded me. The two wheelchairs with an old lady and a guy positioned to my right, one at my back and another 2 to my left. They like my rendition of Japanese songs. I showed them my Japanese song book and they choose and requested songs from that.

                The old lady in a wheelchair to my right requested “Ai No Sanka”. She clapped enthusiastically after the I played that song. I gave her and the guy at my back my card. She appreciated it very much and shook my hand in gratitude.

                The girl, Rin Kita, and the young Japanese couple with 2 kids, are watching those guests around me having a good time. After 3 more requested songs, they left. One of the ladies (not in wheelchair), gave me $5.00 tip and another lady gave me also $5.00 tip. I gave another card to the last guy in a wheelchair on my right.

                After they left, Rin Kita approached me and talk to me in Japanese. She specifically said “Ashita”, asking if I’ll be at Waves Restaurant again tomorrow evening. I told her “Shigoto wa rokuji kara, kyuji made desu (koko) to kyuji kara juichiji made desu (Breeze Bar). Sui-yobi wa yasumi. (It means I work from 6-9pm there and 9-11pm at Breeze Bar and Wednesday is my day off).

                Before 9:00, the Japanese guy and his 3-year old daughter approached me and gave me $10.00 tip. He said it’s their last night tonight and they will go back to Japan. I gave the girl my card. Upon reading it, he asked his daughter to say “Thank you, Roberto san.”

                Another young Japanese couple farther away also enjoyed my music. Before going home, the lady gave me $2.00 tip and said, “Thank you for the very nice Japanese songs.”

                At Breeze Bar, the Japanese couple with 2 kids proceed there and clapped after I played a song, whether Japanese or American songs. When it’s time for them to say goodbye for check out, a lot of waving from me and from them.

                The next day, Monday, Rin Kita arrived with her mom and auntie. She gave me a home-made card with a letter written in Katakana and Hirakana. It’s my first time to receive a lovely note from a 6-year old girl. I displayed that note/card at the piano music stand trying to figure out what it is she’s saying in the letter.

                A little accident occurred when she accidentally dropped a glass on the floor and a piece of broken glass hit her leg. She was treated with first aid kit by the new F & B Manager Edgie Garcia. When she’s waving goodbye to me while they are going out of Waves, I notice a little limping from her.

                I showed the card to our General Manager Isao Takahashi and he translated to me-- that the girl plays piano also and she’d like to see me again someday when they come back to Palau.


Source: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
             Tia Belau Newspaper
            Pages 8-9
            Volume 21
            Issue 56
            August 16, 2012




Exactly 2 years and 1 day, Rin Kita, right, came back to Palau with her mom. A photo was taken this time on March 21, 2013 with her showing the letter/card that she made 2 years ago that Roberto Hernandez has put in his scrap book.
   

 MUSIC AND ME (March 28, 2013)
   Rin Kita is back after 2 years

VERY NICE TO MEET RIN KITA AGAIN
    If a simple letter/card can be treasured and cherished, what more with this picture with a beautiful girl that wrote me a lovely note, although in Japanese character, to touch the hearts of many including PRR GM Isao Takahashi, who kept that note/letter for more than a year!                                                    (Photo by Roberto Hernandez)



    RIN KITA IS BACK AFTER 2 YEARS


TWO weeks before going to Istanbul for 2012 World Chess Olympiad, the 56th issue of Tia Belau was published with Music and Me story of “A Letter From A 5-year-old Japanese Girl”.

                The first line of that story is “While playing piano at Waves Restaurant on Sunday, March 20, 2011, a 5-year-old girl is watching me play.”

                Exactly 2 years and 1 day (March 21, 2013), that Japanese girl is watching me play again. After finishing the song that I’m playing, I gave her my card and asked her name. She said her name but I misheard it as “Kin Jita”.

                Then I played some Japanese songs and she sung some parts where she knows in soft voice. Then I showed her my scrap book with photos and print copy of some Music and Me issues with black and white photos.

                My instinct ‘commanded’ me to go to the last part of the book where the letter/card of Rin Kita was posted. Then I said, “This is written and made by Rin Kita. Are you Rin Kita?” When she nodded, that’s the time that I’m sure now that she is really her 2 years ago.

                When I mentioned to her that she is the one that make and draw the hearts, grapes and flags of Palau and Japan in there, she is almost in tears.

                She can’t believe that a simple note, letter and drawing like that will be treasured and cherished by someone. I asked her, “Where is your mom?” And I said, go ahead and bring the book and show it to her.

                When they come to me, we have pictures taken –one in their camera and one in my cell phone’s camera. It’s my day off the next day (Friday) but on Saturday, they come again to have dinner near the piano.

                When I played “Oribia O Kikinagara”, Rin Kita sang on some parts that she knows. Her mom can sing all the last parts of the song.

                We talked for a while about their stay in Palau 2 years ago. It’s their 3rd time now in Palau. Rin Kita is 6 years old, not 5 as I have written. She’s 8 years old now and very beautiful.

                I read to them the contents of “A Letter From A 5-year-old Japanese Girl”—about the accident when Rin Kita accidentally drop a glass and some broken glass hit her leg; about the letter/card and how our GM Isao Takahashi translated it to me.

                I asked them also to check the website http://palau-chess.blogspot.com where I will feature Rin Kita again. She was featured (without picture) in Music and Me issue 56 (Aug. 16, 2012) and no. 282  post in that website. I posted it on August 18, 2012—a week before my trip to Istanbul.



Source: Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
             Tia Belau Newspaper
             Pages 9 and 11
             Volume 22
             Issue 25
            March 28, 2013
  

No comments:

Post a Comment