Wednesday, December 7, 2016

(1298) LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS DANGEROUS


THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A MAN WHO KNOWS A LOT OF EVERYTHING AND A MAN WHO KNOWS A LITTLE OF EVERYTHING...CM Joselito Marcos, left, and Paquito 'Porma' Suringa, Jr. at the 2016 Baku Chess Olympiad.

               LITTLE KNOWLEDGE
                   IS DANGEROUS 
 
WHEN I posted on Facebook “NEWEST MEMBER of PCF—Mother and Son”, I featured for the first time Jennifer Angeles and her son Aome (abbreviation of Apple of My Eye). Like what I used to do to new members, I have photos of them and ask for their birthdates, email addresses and tel. numbers (mobile and landline) for Palau Chess Federation record, for inclusion to the website http://palau-chess.blogspot.com and most of all—SO THAT OTHER MEMBERS WHO WANT TO CONTACT THEM FOR POSSIBLE OFFICIAL GAMES/PRACTICES/PREPARATIONS AND KNOWING CHESS AND PLAYERS BETTER.

                Just a few days ago (Nov. 16, 2016 at 11:37am to be exact), Rustum Cabuso asked me, “Kuya Robert, what is the number of Jun Mahor? He is my opponent on Sunday, isn’t it? I’ll ask him if we can play our game tonight at Palau Royal Resort.” I replied with 778-2785.

                There are more or less 100 requests like these to me—asking me if so and so is available on this date and time; then I will text that player and refer back to the one who ask. If there is complication, I’ll text again each of them until they agreed on a day and time. Although a text costs only .06 cents, if it accumulated, that’s already some amount aside from wasting my time because they can do it themselves and just inform me of the agreed date.
                I started to refuse doing that in Dec. 2014 with Palau’s most successful chess player Menandro Manuel. I asked him to please contact those players that he hadn’t played yet and I give him the numbers of those chess players and I will provide the chess materials to the place they agreed on.
                To save more time and money, I started to post also the tel. numbers of new members of PCF on Nov. 16, 2016. But one ‘critic’, Ojhea Perdon, wrote “I think it is not right to make her contact info public.” I respect her opinion. Six hours and 5 minutes later, Edna Pineda wrote “I agree”.
                ALL PALAU CHESS PLAYERS INFO ARE PUBLIC.
                Ms. Ojhea is listed as the 217th member of Palau Chess Federation with complete name of Perdon, Ojhea Mae Figueroa; FIDE I. D. No. 16600835 with a Standard rating of 1228. I don’t know her email address, tel. number and date of birth so there’s no record of those. These are the links:
                Five years ago, I was warned by Koror State Legal Counsel Craig Dittrich not to use his name, email address, tel. numbers and other information in connection with Palau Chess Federation because he left Palau for good. HOW CAN I DO THAT? He is a part of the History of Chess in Palau. Having been participated in 2006 Rapid Chess Tournament; 2006 Ambassador Marino Cup’s Rated Division finishing 8th with 2 wins, 7 losses and a draw; 2007 PNCC (Jan. 28-May 5) 4-4-1 record for 4.5 points; 2007 Palau Invitational Chess Championship in Sept. where he dealt top seed Boris Michael Diez his only loss; 2007-2008 Open Rapid Chess Tournament (Nov. 18, 2007-Feb. 10, 2008) where he finished 10th with 13-15-2 slate for 14 points; a couple of blitz chess contests where we give him extra 5 minutes because he’s used to longer time control and the unfinished 2008 PNCC.
                History of Chess in Palau is not complete without Craig Dittrich, the 101st member of PCF, born in May 23, 1956; FIDE I. D. No. 16600081; Standard rating of 1569; tel. nos. 775-1091/779-7546; email addresses –xgatorx@yahoo.com craigdittrich@gmail.com And the first American to have FIDE rating in Palau. He can play in any tournament in the world representing Palau unless he will change federation.
                The same situation applies to Ms. Ojhea, Jennifer Angeles and Aome Jacob Angeles: History of Chess in Palau is not complete without the inclusion of even the newest, oldest or with very few information gathered from its members.
                Because of this open to public PCF website, Ms. Ojhea’s profile has been viewed 1,320 times in the first link above and 944 from the 2nd link. As of 10:48am, Friday, Nov. 18, 2016 http://palau-chess.blogspot.com was viewed 239,512 times by 131 countries.
                The “Little Knowledge is Dangerous” phrase was shared to me by CM Joselito Marcos of Papua New Guinea. Being the most knowledgeable person I ever knew, his knowledge and wisdom derived from extensive reading and studies since childhood inspired me to follow what my father told me: “Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are.”
                The “Little Knowledge is Dangerous” is applied to Gonzalo Escapatoria, Jr. for arguing about the Swiss Perfect software where he has no idea how it works; to Paquito Suringa, Jr. for not knowing even one single defense in chess and going to Chess Olympiad without a single chess equipment (chess board, clock, laptop, clothes that's good for only 2 days at the 14-day Olympiad); to Tito Cabunagan for annotating his games in English notation when there are captures; and to Eugenio Pastrana, for not knowing and yet not following the FIDE Laws of Chess. There are so many more people who have little knowledge of a subject/thing/fact/statistic and all things that you could think of but acted like they are ‘experts’ in that field. THAT’S DANGEROUS!
                Being 61 years old will not stop me from learning new and old things from a friend, MY BEST FRIEND FOREVER, who is worth more than a thousand ordinary friends!

Sources: Chess Mate by Roberto Hernandez
                  Tia Belau Newspaper
                  December 29, 2002 -- November 19, 2016

                  Chess and Music (Perfect Combination)
                  The Beginning of Chess in Palau
                  By Roberto Hernandez
                  Soon to be published as a book

                  Music and Me by Roberto Hernandez
                  Tia Belau Newspaper
                  March 15, 2012 -- April 18, 2013
                  http://palau-chess.blogspot.com
                  April 25, 2013 -- November 19, 2016

                  Memoirs of a Chess Amateur
                  My Most Memorable Games and Compositions
                  By CM Joselito Marcos

                  The History of Chess in Palau
                  By Roberto Hernandez
                  June 09, 2002 -- November 19, 2016
     

   


               

No comments:

Post a Comment